Please allow Self Hosted IP.Chat

Tucker_v933

Being able to self host should really be an option. While IP.Chat isn't perfect, there's lot of limitations I've learned to live with. Though for me the fact that the IPB servers are so unbelievably unstable after the automatic nightly restarts and the unwillingness to do anything about it within any reasonable amount of time, really doesn't make the paid service worth it.
I would personally pay 50/yr just for the license just to self host it, I already have multitudes more server resources than I could ever need as well which can handle it.

IPB Support-

We have looked into this issue and believe the cause is the flood of traffic attempting to reconnect to the chat servers immediately upon restart of the service. We are looking into ways to enhance and improve our chat service infrastructure in the future. Unfortunately, as of right now I cannot find any immediate issue with the service to explain what you are seeing, other than the flood of traffic that occurs right after the servers restart, and sadly there is not much that can be done to stem that traffic at the moment until the future infrastructure improvements have been put into place.

This was months ago, and still my chat is down for hours every night after the chat room restarts. Late nights are the busiest time for my site.

• Management

I am sorry for your inconvenience, but unfortunately, IP.Chat was developed specifically for our infrastructure. It requires custom modules and configuration on a server level and it's just not something we want to get into.

If IP.Chat doesn't work for you, there are other alternatives for sure.

Once again, my apologies for the inconvenience and we are looking at improvements to minimize impact.

Being able to self host should really be an option. While IP.Chat isn't perfect, there's lot of limitations I've learned to live with. Though for me the fact that the IPB servers are so unbelievably unstable after the automatic nightly restarts and the unwillingness to do anything about it within any reasonable amount of time, really doesn't make the paid service worth it.

Any service that requires a nightly restart to keep working would seem to be broken by design.

Archived