Limit number of message per PM conversation?

Millipede

Following on from here, where I asked:

I have a couple of members who bypass the limitations by continuing a single PM into 1000s of replies. I don't suppose there's a way of setting a limit on how many replies a PM can contain?

There seems little point to me to set a group limit of, say, 250 PMs (even if I were to limit it to 1 per day), and they then run single PMs into 1000s of replies so's to increase the amount of conversations they can have; in that case, I might as well leave it as limitless as that's what these members are in effect achieving.

I'd therefore like to request a per-group setting for PMs where we can additionally choose a limit for the number of messages per PM.

• 3 weeks later...

I personally wouldn't use such an option (would set it to be 'disabled' or set extremely high), but I believe this would be invaluable for sites that limit PM's so that they can offer larger storage/PM capacity in return for donations or some other contribution to their community. Also for site that don't have too much room to work with, they may want to keep the amount of space used for PM's to a minimum and being able to continue a conversation 'indefinitely' would defeat that purpose.

they may want to keep the amount of space used for PM's to a minimum and being able to continue a conversation 'indefinitely' would defeat that purpose.

That was exactly my point. Thank you for picking up on it :smile: although your point about offering larger storage/PM capacity in return for contributions is a very valid one too.

Archived