[Suggestion] Highlighting best content of the board

LaCollision

Hi there,

Here is a small but (according to me) super-important suggestion for IP.Board.

When users visit a forum, they obviously care about the tiny friendly features of the interface, but there is one essential reason why they come to your board: the content.
And today, I think IP.Board offers a lot of nice modern technologies to post / edit / moderate the board... but it misses the REAL thing : finding content.

The "new content" page is a nice way to find... new content. But for a visitor who visits, let's say, 3 times in a week a board, he wants to know: "What [fun / important / hot topics] am I missing?".
And today, I think that IP.Board doesn't answer to that basic and essential need.

That's why I suggest that, near the "new content" link, a new "Hot content" link should appear.
In this new page, we could then find :

- Most viewed topics for the last [24 hours / week / month] (= topics with the highest number of views)
- Most active topics for the last [24 hours / week / month] (= topics with the highest number of answers)
- Most liked topics for the last [24 hours / week / month] (= topics with the most liked messages / or the highest sum of the reputation of the messages of a topic)
- Most liked posts for the last [24 hours / week / month]

And for the blogs:

- Most viewed blogs for the last [24 hours / week / month]
- Most active blogs for the last [24 hours / week / month]
- Most commented blogs for the last [24 hours / week / month]

This "Hot content" functionality would really help our members to find the current hot stuff.
It should be quick to implement... I tried to do it, but there was too many lines of code to add, so I dropped it :(

I really hope such a thing will be implemented in IP.Board; I think it would be a real benefit when using a board day after day.

Thanks for reading :)

Nope, It's all about the time period, not all time... something I've been looking at adding to all the

realstats

application tabs(including rep :smile: ) .

thinking about it as a hook.. you could probably have something like this:

http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=viewBestContent&search_app=forums

Hmm. though that would require a lot of duplication or extension of the VNC code, but filter based things other than time, or simply add new filters to the VNC? I do wonder how difficult that'd be, to hook into VNC and add new filters. hmm :whistle:

Trouble is.. how do you define "Best" content. Number of views in 24 hours? Number of likes in 24 hours? Ratings?

thinking about it as a hook.. you could probably have something like this:

http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=viewBestContent&search_app=forums

Hmm. though that would require a lot of duplication or extension of the VNC code, but filter based things other than time, or simply add new filters to the VNC? I do wonder how difficult that'd be, to hook into VNC and add new filters. hmm :whistle:

Trouble is.. how do you define "Best" content. Number of views in 24 hours? Number of likes in 24 hours? Ratings?

That's the point, you don't, you pull the top x of all of them and cache the result set needed. :smile:

Archived