Donkerrood

Cookie Bar

126 posts in this topic

Cookie Bar

Due to the cookie laws in the EU, here is a hook that shows you the bar at the top of your site that you see at so many other sites, asking your users to accept the use of cookies.

You also have the option to block the use of your site until a user has accepted the use of cookies, but this will potentially affect your site's position in search engine rankings and might scare users away. As of version 1.0.1, the Cookie Bar will no longer be shown to search engines.

NOTE:

• You yourself are responsible to ensure for your own jurisdiction whether using this hook makes you compliant with the laws that apply to you. Providing you with this hook does not imply any legal advice.
  • Blocking the use of (blacking out) your site, does not prevent from any cookies being written by the invision software or third parties.

Features

• Reset the acceptance by changing the acceptance key (e.g. if you made a major change to your privacy policy).
  • You can adjust the language of the hook through the included language bits.
  • You can choose whether or not you want to blackout the rest of your site until a visitor has accepted the use of cookies.
  • Does not show if the visitor is a search engine spider.

Any further suggestions are appreciated and I might include these in a future release of this hook.

Install
Upload all files and install the .xml as a hook.

Donate
This hook is free to use. But if you would like to support this hook's development you can donate here:
btn_donate_LG.gif

Fix for duplicate bar showing in custom skins
In your skin template files go to 'cookieBar' under Global Templates and replace the lines in the first block with the lines in the second code block below.

<div class="message" id="cookiePlaceholder">

<a class="input_submit">{$this->lang->words['cookieBarAccept']}</a>

</div>
<div class="message" id="cookiePlaceholder" style="display:none;">

</div>

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    08/17/2012
  • Category
  • Discussion URL
  • Support Info
    <p>Please use the support topic for support.</p>
  • Supported Versions
    IP.Blog 2.4.x
dr. Jekyll likes this

Hey, Thanks for this, been looking for one while i develop my site.

but i have hit 2 issues.

%7Boption%7D

1. The bar shows Twice
2. "I Accept The Use Of Cookies" When i click it it does nothing.

2 things i have installed are

1. ProMenu Plus v2.1.2 ( I Disabled It and it Still Happens )
2. Battlefield P4F (Tried Default Skin Too and it still happens but bar shows once)

Any ideas for a fix ?

Thanks in advance :D

Got the same problem, button shows up twice. I think it's skin related as it doesn't happen on the default skin.

post-210017-0-99436800-1345301277_thumb.

A setting to be able to switch the message off completely would be nice.

Got the same problem, button shows up twice. I think it's skin related as it doesn't happen on the default skin.

post-210017-0-99436800-1345301277_thumb.

Can you click yours ? mine wont let me. :(

Will there be an option to prevent IP.Board (Suite) to write any cookies when the user don't allow the cookies.
Maybe in a future Version?

Can you click yours ? mine wont let me. :(

You can't click the second button, first one works perfectly.

Even gemakkelijk doen in het Nederlands: Bij mij is de balk breder dan op preview-foto bij download. kan zit aan mijn CSS code liggen of vanuit de Cookie bar zelf?

You can't click the second button, first one works perfectly.

I cannot click the first or second one, Hmmm.....

Will there be an option to prevent IP.Board (Suite) to write any cookies when the user don't allow the cookies.

Maybe in a future Version?

Might be, but this would then only be limited to IPS's cookie-writing class. I wouldn't know how to prevent third parties from writing cookies (i.e. imageshack etc.)

Even gemakkelijk doen in het Nederlands: Bij mij is de balk breder dan op preview-foto bij download. kan zit aan mijn CSS code liggen of vanuit de Cookie bar zelf?

Hij moet in principe 100% breed zijn. PM anders ook even de link van je board, dan kan ik wel even kijken.

Mmmz, let me look into it. Can you PM me the link to your site? Thanks!

Not using it live yet, testing locally first so no link

Hey, Thanks for this, been looking for one while i develop my site.

but i have hit 2 issues.

1. The bar shows Twice

2. "I Accept The Use Of Cookies" When i click it it does nothing.

Any ideas for a fix ?

Thanks in advance :D

I See! the fix is easy... in your skin template files go to 'cookieBar' under Global Templates and remove the following lines. This will fix the duplicate bar issue:

</div>

This second bar should (in the default IPB skin) remain behind the first bar, to ensure that the cookie bar is not placed over the login & register links in the top bar...

disable hook or uninstall?
the message is the needed item for EU servers right?

What message do you mean exactly?

On second thoughts it's not needed, will just disable the hook when not needed. The fix seems to work perfectly.

Hmm using the link to Privacy Policy in the cookie bar.. one time it is being displayed as popup:

http://screenshooter...8981998/xupkjij

and other time it moves me to privacy policy full page behind..

http://screenshooter...8981998/ssxkgwl

any way to always display it as a pop up only?

It should only show as a popup... I'll see if I can fix in a new release that the link will be only '#' if you opt for the blackout.

On second thoughts it's not needed, will just disable the hook when not needed. The fix seems to work perfectly.

That's good!

the message is the needed item for EU servers right?

Depends on how the EU directive was implemented in the country where your visitors are coming from... :S

how about to implement localization checker and option to select for what countries it would shown? or maybe make it compatible wit member's map application? Just an idea.

You should just change this code

</div>

in this way

</div>

When I removed it completely the Javascript stopped before removing the blackout

You should just change this code

</div>

in this way

</div>

When I removed it completely the Javascript stopped before removing the blackout

You're right. It has to do with the order in which the javascript tries to close the divs. I will see if I can upload a new version later on today to ensure that this hook also works with custom skins.

how about to implement localization checker and option to select for what countries it would shown? or maybe make it compatible wit member's map application? Just an idea.

Will think about that. Haven't worked before with localization checkers, but that would be very practical indeed.

if someone was using proxy and warning did not come up would that be hit against server owner?
just curious, does not (yet at least) affect me thankfully.

doesn't matter about proxy.. it is end-user problem if uses proxy.. administration does not have to care about it.. if will come back without proxy will have to accept it anyway.. however main purpose of it is to do not show it for users that do not have to see it.