SEO/words borked?

DesignzShop

IPB is taking words with periods and is meshing them possibly messing up search results. Here's an example. If I run a domain sales site for example using content and someone puts in the domain for example businessindex.us, IPB turns that into businessindexus in the url bar. Last I checked businessindexus is not businessindex.us or even businessindex. I checked other domain sales sites and software and their urls all indicate the proper word when clicking into the ad and includes the name by itself with no extension or period effecting the name put into the title field. So why can't IPB do that?

This I was told is working as intended(Properly) so to make a post on the forum for a suggestion to make it work in another way. At this point it's becoming too time consuming to report issues for myself. We take the time to report a bug, someone says it can't be reproduced, we then have to submit a support ticket and go through a extended process dealing with that. If that can't be figured you have to take your own time out to figure what the issue for IPB then report it again to prove your right. If that doesn't fit then your making a post like I am asking for a obvious error in how a word is spelled. This simply could of been passed up the ladder imo to be looked at instead of me taking the extra time out for a third phase of trying to get someone to recognize words are not being put into the url correctly possibly

I was also told each person submitting a ad that has a period has the option to use the custom furl field below the ad, sorry, but I can't expect every user to understand or put a custom url into a field that should do the job IPB should be doing in the first place. I'm not asking for a custom url or for the app to work a way as not intended, just one that's correctly spelled not forcing my members to make urls correct

Since this is working correctly/as intended is this right? Does it effect search engine results having the wrong word not being identified in the url? Can anyone answer if businessindexus is being read as businessindex.us in the URL? Do URL's even matter in search results? They must according to some straight html sites I built for clients but am I wrong?

All non-alphanumeric characters are currently stripped from the friendly URL slug. I believe this is what you are referring to. I am unsure at this point in time what kind of changes would need to be accounted for retaining periods (or commas or any other character) in the URL. For instance, our .htaccess rules exclude urls ending with .jpg...what if your topic was "look at image.jpg" and the FURL was "12345-look-at-image.jpg"...the .htaccess rule would no longer route that URL properly.

This is something technically feasible, but would require more research and changes than simply not stripping periods.

would require more research and changes

No sphinx for content, I can't use periods in titles, end users are expected to create their own titles to correct a issue non-related to them.. Seems search or search results is hampered pretty hard in IPC. I'd hope in the future content becomes more capable. I just wonder how much longer I have to keep a site in waiting while IPContent evolves a little more.. I've waited a long time for Sphinx, I really hope the wait to have words read correctly in the url isn't as long.. or better yet, will even be considered to be corrected. Just my opinion here, these 2 things should already be in place.

regards

I was simply asking why you needed Sphinx - you seem to consider it a must-have, however most administrators don't really care what's powering the search so long as it works. Thus, I was asking why you "need" it.

You didn't really answer that in your response, however.

Archived