Editor?

ZakRhyno

smile.png Nope. In the end I could only get the latex to display after posting. If you quoted the post with the latex or edited it then it broke. smile.png

I see.

Your post sounded like you had a solution for adding buttons

Thanks for replying :)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

smile.png I guess I just don't understand it and I'll actually have to see it to get it, but it seems very promising and frankly the way you talk about it makes me look forward to the elimination of bbcode. smile.png

Basically, it's not any simpler to do or <b>. Or [ url=something]text over <a href=something>text</a>.

:) My reluctance is more based on getting members to adapt to that...guess that's what my core issue is. I've used lithium forums in the past though and they had html, no bbcode. It'll be interesting that's for sure. Making html input the core method for posting in forums and keeping full admin control of it is innovative. I think maybe the point I'm overlooking is that it's pretty much still bbcode but using html tags instead. Whatever, I'm stupid. I need to see it. :)

It would require a modification at this time.

Many blogs have transitioned to (simple) HTML tags in comments already - I see this often ("You may use <b> and <i> to format your posts"). The reality is, however, that average users who are NOT technically savvy will simply use the RTE and won't be coding HTML manually, so this does not affect most users. We would most likely open up the editor to allow more of the default features (such as HTML tables), and then the "source" mode would utilize HTML instead of BBCode basically. Thus, it would mainly affect users who wish to go into source mode and truly edit the markup, not the casual user who is just posting a reply.

Yes, I'd like it to. But right now we have to fall back to BBCode when switching editing modes, which means introducing new table, tr and td tags. I'd rather wait until 4.0 and look at dropping BBCode as we know it which will free up what we can do with the RTE.

So your looking in to the idea of moving away from BBCode and just leaving it behind?

Yes. BBCode was useful 10 years ago before rich text editing but really we'd rather you use the rich text editor and if you wanted to edit the mark-up, then you can always edit the sanitised HTML.

I agree with this however backward compatability worries me a bit. Do you plan on creating a convertor so old bbcodes inside content will be auto replaced ?

• Management

I agree with this however backward compatability worries me a bit. Do you plan on creating a convertor so old bbcodes inside content will be auto replaced ?

We'd ensure that older posts wouldn't be broken upon edit. We'd either leave in a legacy parser called upon for posts with BBCode or we'd consider converting old posts to the new format. Either way, we'd not leave you with millions of broken or uneditable posts. :)

What's going to happen to custom BBCodes that call on php scripts? I've got a BBCode for inserting iTunes Music Store affiliate links into posts that relies on a php script to determine how to add my affiliate tag based on whether it's an individual track or an entire album that is being linked to as the syntax is different for each. Am I going to be screwed? :cry:

What's going to happen to custom BBCodes that call on php scripts? I've got a BBCode for inserting iTunes Music Store affiliate links into posts that relies on a php script to determine how to add my affiliate tag based on whether it's an individual track or an entire album that is being linked to as the syntax is different for each. Am I going to be screwed? :cry:

:) http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/documentation/index.html/_/developer-resources/miscellaneous-articles/34-custom-bbcode-php-changes-r803

Even in 4.0 IPS has a custom bbcode for blog and content that uses php scripts. They won't get rid of the option. You'll just have to update your code. :)

Basically, it's not any simpler to do or <b>. Or [ url=something]text over <a href=something>text</a>.

Sure, but this is an absolutely trivial example of things you could do with a bbcode. This breaks down a bit if you have a more complex custom bbcode that expands into a sizeable amount of html. While supported by media urls, you could look at youtube embeds as something where a code expands into a whole mess of html.

• Management

There's lots to discuss and finalise. This is only a point for a conversation internally at this point so we honestly don't have all the details. My gut feeling is to just do away with square brackets and embrace good old fashioned GT and LT. We'd not ask nor expect customers and their members to start coding complex HTML in source mode of course. We'll figure it out one way or another.

If you add tables in 4.0, please make it so that we can align the text to the top. There's currently a nice hook out there for BB code tables, but the output is not clean if a lot of text is in the tables since the only option is to have it vertically align to the center (unless I'm missing something and there is a v-align override in the editor).

• 2 years later...

We'd ensure that older posts wouldn't be broken upon edit. We'd either leave in a legacy parser called upon for posts with BBCode or we'd consider converting old posts to the new format. Either way, we'd not leave you with millions of broken or uneditable posts. :)

​Can you help us with tons of broken posts with respect to youtube videos not showing up in out forums...here is a link to a thread...new post work fine.

Scroll up to the older posts...
http://hotspotoutdoors.com/forums/topic/131561-share-good-music/?page=59#comment-2109030

We have a lot-lot more threads with videos in them that don't show.

Archived