Auto Upload from Image Tag

Analogged

Hello,

I do not know if there is an addon for this already but i could not find one in the Resources.
Im not sure if this would be a feature needed or even wanted by many people.

But the idea would be that the system would upload any image a user would post in an image tag and place it with the rest of the uploads. Iv noticed that over time some users images get over bandwidth errors or just get deleted from where ever they were hot linked from. It does not have to be instance, even if it was a cron or something that would do it daily.

Is there something like this that already exists ?

Thanks for reading any anyone input :)

In an older version of IPB, there was a mod that would actually using a schedule copied the external pictures (or maybe even external files in general I don't remember) and put them locally.

I don't remember where and when it was (long time ago) but it was a good idea. Remember that this will definitely increase you bandwidth and space requirements.

I belive it's a good idea though.

In an older version of IPB, there was a mod that would actually using a schedule copied the external pictures (or maybe even external files in general I don't remember) and put them locally.

I don't remember where and when it was (long time ago) but it was a good idea. Remember that this will definitely increase you bandwidth and space requirements.

The mod you're thinking of was made by Alex, who was a mod developer with his own site/staff at that point but then became a community developer here and is now an IPS employee.
http://community.invisionpower.com/user/109309-alex/

It was called "[AH23|TASK] Download Remote Images" and you can download it here:
http://invisionmodding.com/files/file/828-ah23task-download-remote-images/

Not that you'd have a need to, since it's for IP.Board v2.3.x and won't work with IP.Board 3.x. If you ask him, he might give permission for someone else to update it.

Something like that would be great to preserve forum posts. It would need a filter to not cache gallery images that are posted on the forum with bbcode.

The mod that Alex made would check the filter out URL's for the same site and from reading the source, I think included an option for other sites to exclude from having images pulled from. The ideal thing to have, mod-wise, would for it to pull the images from external sources but let the post continue to refer to the external source, but flagging the post in a special way so that if an admin comes across the post and the image is broken, the admin would know that the source image has been copied over and that they can toggle the post to use the copied version. That would reduce bandwidth usage of the forum (use the bandwidth of other sites hehe) but if the external image becomes permanently unavailable (site goes down, image is deleted, etc), then a backup copy of the image is available for continued use.

If someone makes such a mod and feels inclined to make it smart like that, perhaps they could also make it so that when a post has 'backup' copies of the external images available, a little link could appear for that post for people to click if any of the images are broken. Then the mod (hook/app/task/whatever) could try for a few days to a week to load the images from the post and if it never succeeds, then it updates the post to use the local copy (unless an admin flags it to start using the local copy right away). So if an image is just temporarily unavailable but is restored, it would continue to link out, but if it's continuing to have problems, it fixes it automatically.

:)

I have PM'ed Alex to see if there was ever an updated version made.

It would be a good option to allow it to either start using the images directly after the script re uploads it to the server or continue to serve the image from the hotlinks URL. Would be good for people who do not an excess of resources available to them.

I can see this also helping with SEO a bit and having images come up in image searches more often as well from your board.

I have PM'ed Alex to see if there was ever an updated version made.

I don't believe he's updated any (or at least not many) of the mods that his team developed for the 2.3 series. I remember talking to him one time about his mods and he was busy with IPS related stuff and this was before he became an IPS employee. So I'm sure he's got even less time now.

Archived