"View New Content" fix/suggestion

Andy Badwool

Clicking on "View New Content" while on your Personal Messanger redirects to the newest members instead of the newest content.

Now, why would someone want to access to the newest members using "View New Content" - by default, at least? Even when coming from the personal messenger, the "mindset" is to see the newest topics when clicking there.

I always found myself having to click on "View New Content" twice when coming from the personal messenger, first time redirects me to new members, second time actually to new topics.

Probably it's not a bug in itself, but I feel like it would make more sense if View New Content would stick to topics, unless set differently by the user WHILE being the View New Content page. After all, for the members, we have the Members tab.

Those are my two cents! :tongue:

View new content sends you to the newest content for the module or app you are in...

i.e. if i'm viewing an IP.Content page, it shows me new IP.Content data... If in the 'members' module, it takes you to new members. If in the 'forums', it takes you to new topics / posts. New content is not just new forum topic / post content. It also applies to blogs, galleries, downloads, nexus, etc...

You can go into the skin templates and hardcode it to go to new forum data... I've already done so. I'd have to dig around for the template modificaiton... If you want it, I can go find it.

View new content sends you to the newest content for the module or app you are in...

Right. Which in this case is pretty ridiculous: it's being "elegant" without being useful. Part of the problem is considering the messenger part of the "members" app in the first place, though. I could imagine VNC when in messenger taking you to the list of new messages, for example. Messenger should be its own app, in my opinion.

Right. Which in this case is pretty ridiculous: it's being "elegant" without being useful. Part of the problem is considering the messenger part of the "members" app in the first place, though. I could imagine VNC when in messenger taking you to the list of new messages, for example. Messenger should be its own app, in my opinion.

I was explaining how it works, and why (at least how I see it) it is the way it is. Some boards use it like facebook with status updates / etc. So view new content for members would allow members to see new status updates for other members... Keep in mind that just because you don't a feature doesn't mean others aren't...

A better suggestion would be to allow board administrators to restrict what apps are available in 'view new content' and allow a 'default' app should the current app not allow new content view.

What app you go to, by default, can be hard coded by modifying a single link in the global template... I'm not going to post the mod here in public view, but will PM it to anyone that is interested... It's also can be found with a quick search of the client forum section..

i.e. if i'm viewing an IP.Content page, it shows me new IP.Content data... If in the 'members' module, it takes you to new members. If in the 'forums', it takes you to new topics / posts. New content is not just new forum topic / post content. It also applies to blogs, galleries, downloads, nexus, etc...

Yeah, but, well: IP content, blogs, galleries, downloads, nexus, etc... those are all SEPARATE suites/downloads. Members is just a section of Forum, you can't compare them in my opinion. Plus I don't think there's really a point in viewing new members by VNC, when there's a specific Members tab for that...

Yeah, but, well: IP content, blogs, galleries, downloads, nexus, etc... those are all SEPARATE suites/downloads. Members is just a section of Forum, you can't compare them in my opinion. Plus I don't think there's really a point in viewing new members by VNC, when there's a specific Members tab for that...

I respectfully disagree. Members can post new content in the form of status updates that are not findable via the forums tab. If you selected the members tab, you'd then have to find each member individually to find their status updates. As I said before, just becuase you don't use a feature of the board, i.e status updates / profile comments, doesn't mean that others aren't using it and like seeing new status updates for members.

Member management is seperate from forums. Yes, the two are grouped together, but you won't have user accounts for people to create new forum content unless you have the members app. Hence why they are bundled together.

Simple modifications, like the one I just PM'ed you, allow you to tailor your board to how YOU use it. That's the nice thing about IP.Board... Infinately customizable. I don't see a reason for asking IPS to nuke entire functionality of a feature just because some people don't use it. They have to tailor their product to everyone. If you don't use a feature, it's up to you to customize your board and remove traces of it.

I respectfully disagree. Members can post new content in the form of status updates that are not findable via the forums tab. If you selected the members tab, you'd then have to find each member individually to find their status updates. As I said before, just becuase you don't use a feature of the board, i.e status updates / profile comments, doesn't mean that others aren't using it and like seeing new status updates for members.

Member management is seperate from forums. Yes, the two are grouped together, but you won't have user accounts for people to create new forum content unless you have the members app. Hence why they are bundled together.

Simple modifications, like the one I just PM'ed you, allow you to tailor your board to how YOU use it. That's the nice thing about IP.Board... Infinately customizable. I don't see a reason for asking IPS to nuke entire functionality of a feature just because some people don't use it. They have to tailor their product to everyone. If you don't use a feature, it's up to you to customize your board and remove traces of it.

I understand where you're coming from and respect that, you make good points. However, the "View New Content" for the members app, doesn't redirect to new Status Updates / Comments (which would actually make sense and I believe I would have been down with that!) but rathers it redirects by default to the newly registered members, which I doubt the utility (at least, from that link, since you can already do it via Members Tab).

I understand where you're coming from and respect that, you make good points. However, the "View New Content" for the members app, doesn't redirect to new Status Updates / Comments (which would actually make sense and I believe I would have been down with that!) but rathers it redirects by default to the newly registered members, which I doubt the utility (at least, from that link, since you can already do it via Members Tab).

Valid point. It would make more sense if new status updates were the first thing that showed up instead of newly created members.

I'm at a loss of finding 'new status updates' from just clicking on the 'members' tab. All I get is a list of new members and no way to find new content in terms of status updates. So removing that view new content ability, you're still asking to remove finding new status updates.

Valid point. It would make more sense if new status updates were the first thing that showed up instead of newly created members.

I'm at a loss of finding 'new status updates' from just clicking on the 'members' tab. All I get is a list of new members and no way to find new content in terms of status updates. So removing that view new content ability, you're still asking to remove finding new status updates.

There is also the page "statuses/all/", however that's not linked anywhere if you don't show the Status Updates on the sidebar, so it's kinda hidden.

I think the "Members" pseudo-app is particularly problematic from a VNC standpoint because it lumps a bunch of stuff together, and has several distinct types of content that might be considered "new": at a minimum we've got new members, new status updates, and new messages. With all that independent functionality lumped into a single app, how do you decide which "new content" to show?

I think the "Members" pseudo-app is particularly problematic from a VNC standpoint because it lumps a bunch of stuff together, and has several distinct types of content that might be considered "new": at a minimum we've got new members, new status updates, and new messages. With all that independent functionality lumped into a single app, how do you decide which "new content" to show?

That's the million dollar debate.

Currently it shows you new content from the app you're in currently.

Members isn't a 'pseudo-app' its a full blown app that is included with IP.Board. Look at your app section in the ACP.

Members isn't a 'pseudo-app' its a full blown app that is included with IP.Board. Look at your app section in the ACP.

I am using "psuedo-app" here to describe it because it's not well-segregated: all the other apps depend on it, and it is a mishmash of marginally-related functionality... I don't think it should be an app, it doesn't fit in with all the other apps. I'm not arguing that Invision hasn't implemented it as an app (as you point out, obviously they have).

There are three totally separate things in the member app that could be considered "new content": I think both of the other options (status updates and messages) make more sense than the one Invision chose to implement (new members).

I agree with the OP. Members aren't looking for "new content" when they click it they are looking for recent forum activity. It works the way it was originally intended but that's not intuitive or user-friendly for most members.

Yes, who except an admin would consider site content to mean a list of members registered today? Pretty rivetting content.

I agree with that point.. I just disagree with nerfing the members data in 'view new content'... It should show status updates first.

Unless someone has a very active blog or gallery community the most likely content to be viewed is the line 'Sorry, No New Content Found.' I don't see any value in the way this has functioned since 2.0. For the 1 or 2% who might (outside chance on 1 or 2%) be looking for new content in blogs or gallery they could click on blog or gallery. the other 98%+ are looking for discussion activity in the forums.

Archived