Why am I banned?!

Makoto

Prior to 3.3.x:
You banned a user and had it send the user an e-mail explaining why he was banned. No problems, really, assuming he got the e-mail. Or even bothered to read it, and that it didn't end up in spam.

3.3.x:
You ban a user. They'll have no idea why unless you manually send them an e-mail yourself. The option to have users acknowledge warnings before they can post again has no effect, since the banned member cannot post to begin with. He's stuck without a clue as to why he was banned.

So the problem is simple. There is no easy way to explain why a user has been banned. The only thing a banned member will see when trying to access the community is this:

Why not add a feature that shows a reason for the user being banned instead? Maybe even an appeals system that can be allowed or disallowed with each individual ban. If the users ban is appealable, they will also see an "appeal" button bellow the reason for the ban, which will allow the user to submit a request for reconsideration directly to the administrator.

This is a core function in Burning Board 3, which was released 2008. IPB should not use a global error message when someone doesn't have permission to access a site. Instead IPB should tell why someone has no permission (banned, suspended, moderated etc.) including with an optional reason.

in the interim could you use this?

http://community.inv...065-ban-hammer/

send them to a page telling their options?

If you just wanted to change the generic banned message, you could simply change the "you_are_banned" language variable instead.

But it's really not user or admin friendly to require all members to send you an e-mail just to ask why they were banned in the first place, or for how long they are going to be banned.

On that note, it would also be nice to show members how long they are suspended as well, or when the suspension on their account will expire (if ever).

This feature already exists.

If you ban using the warning "panel" - the reason you enter will be displayed to the user when they try to access the community.

Wow, don't I feel like an idiot!

It shows the reason, length, and everything!

I swear I thought I tested this before, and it didn't show anything. Feh! I should be more careful next time I suggest something.

One place where that message is still not being shown is on the "posting permission denied" page for users with a posting suspension. Instead, they just get a generic "you don't have permission to post" error page when they click the button. Maybe that is what you meant?

I would definitely like to have the ban reason being displayed there as well!

• 2 weeks later...

One place where that message is still not being shown is on the "posting permission denied" page for users with a posting suspension. Instead, they just get a generic "you don't have permission to post" error page when they click the button. Maybe that is what you meant?

I would definitely like to have the ban reason being displayed there as well!

Late response, but this is exactly what I meant.

I had tested this weeks back. I was getting full suspensions confused with posting suspensions.

When restricting a users posting priviliges (temporarily or indefinitely), the users have no way of knowing. It just shows the generic permission denied page, as Nils stated.

I think this definitely needs to be updated.

Archived