User Block User

JLS

I would love to see IP get a feature that allows users to block other users from seeing their posts. Not sure how impossible or silly that sounds but we often get emails of "if this member is here then I'll leave because I don't want them to see my posts" etc. I mean, I know it would partially be impossible because of quotes in posts etc but I don't know... it would be nice if there was some level of ignoring/blocking another user.

Unless there already is and I'm missing it or there is something in the marketplace?

Thanks!

That's cool and I didn't see that but only problem is that I think it's working backwards from the way I'm meaning it too?

Member A doesn't want Member B to see their posts.

The way you show it appears like:

Member A doesn't want to read Member B's posts.

Am I wrong?

Hmm... Seems like if they can do this then it's not irrational to request a feature that works the opposite so I hope IP takes it into strong consideration. I think we are about to lose a few really good paying members because of this :(
(Not meaning because of IP but rather a different situation. If IP had a solution it would have been cool...)

Hmm... Seems like if they can do this then it's not irrational to request a feature that works the opposite so I hope IP takes it into strong consideration. I think we are about to lose a few really good paying members because of this :sad:

(Not meaning because of IP but rather a different situation. If IP had a solution it would have been cool...)

If it's just one or two picky users then skin hacks are always an option.

*Bump*

Would love ideas on this modification. I guess I should post in the mod area but if anyone happens to know feel free to post :)

This issue continues to be a current problem for me with some great members.

Thanks!

So I guess I would just use a template hook to add a class which has display:none after the check for whether or not a post is invisible. Then the class only shows up if the author of the post and the member viewing meet your conditions.

There's also the "tell your users to grow up" option.

Could also do a template overloader. Those accept conditionals right? Replace the post content with "This user is being childish and doesn't want you to see their posts."

Of course then you just quote the post and you can see the original content. :angel:

Which is another thing. If you use display:none then it'll still be in the source code. Also the numbering of your posts will be off, or rather a number will be missing.

Seriously these kinds of things just aren't worth the hassle...

Could also do a template overloader. Those accept conditionals right? Replace the post content with "This user is being childish and doesn't want you to see their posts."

Of course then you just quote the post and you can see the original content. :angel:

Which is another thing. If you use display:none then it'll still be in the source code. Also the numbering of your posts will be off, or rather a number will be missing.

Seriously these kinds of things just aren't worth the hassle...

Lol just edited my post because im just to busy, but yeah that is also possible :P

LOL...

Well, I do understand where they are coming from in these particular scenarios. We are dealing with local businesses signing up for the forum to spy on their competitors (who are members), copy their tips and ways of doing things, and all kinds of stuff along those lines.

Some users will likely use the feature when they should just 'grow up' but there are a few that I'm witnessing that is understandable and if we do have an 'ignore' feature then why not have it work the opposite way as well.

You realize that if the post was quoted then it would display right? Not even the current ignore feature accounts for that.

Yes, I realize that but if a member got something quoted that is extremely worry-some then they can just contact a mod to have it removed in a jiffy.

Though if EdgarJ is correct then that's even better :)

• 3 months later...

*Bump*

I have to keep this as a HUGE request for consideration into IPB. Edgar J did an AMAZING job on a hook for me but then it rendered useless as my whitelabel mobile app won't support functionality that isn't built directly into IPB. At least that's my understanding.

Even though it's a childish feature to have to add it's one that continues to be an issue for us. If you can have ignore users then why not add in this functionality to match the package. Seems to make sense to me and not be too difficult or bloaty. PLEASE consider...

Thanks!

Archived