Cookie Popup

MadMikeyB

File name: Cookie Popup
Submitter: Mikey
Submitted: 05/28/2012
Category: Utilities
Support Info: I monitor the support topic, please allow up to a week for a response. Please PM me if urgent.

This plugin adds a bar at the top of an IPS4 Suite which informs the user that the site uses cookies and offers more information in the way of a pop up.

This plugin creates and stores a cookie in order to dismiss it. This is unavoidable. :)
Screen_Shot_2015-03-27_at_05.07.29.png.d

The settings are under your AdminCP > Plugins > Cookie Popup, click the edit button. (It's just the language of the message)

Please do not ask IPS for a list of cookies IP.Board uses, as it would be impossible to maintain an up-to-date list of all cookies IP.Board and ALL modifications use. :)

View File

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just downloaded this and it is great. Two things it really needs though please:

1) a setting to turn it on and off. As soon as the hook is loaded it goes live before you can set the settings.
2) Would it be possible for this to have a positive 'I agree' button on it so that the opt-in is unequivocal.

Thanks

Just downloaded this and it is great. Two things it really needs though please:

1) a setting to turn it on and off. As soon as the hook is loaded it goes live before you can set the settings.

2) Would it be possible for this to have a positive 'I agree' button on it so that the opt-in is unequivocal.

Thanks

No need for this setting imo. If you want to turn it off simply disable the hook, setup the settings and then re-enable it?

No need for this setting imo. If you want to turn it off simply disable the hook, setup the settings and then re-enable it?

I had thought this and this is why I didn't release with a switch, but this is pretty immediate, you install the hook and the popup shows, without any configuration. On a busy board this could prove to be counter intuitive, maybe an "On/Off Switch" which defaults to "Off" is the best way going forward.

BB Code i.e on the pop up box for bold text no bold text just the code , same for links etc. It only occurs if I edit the default message in anyway and save then save the new message. Is this something to do with the text editor?

1.0.1 uploaded, now with on/off switch, cancel/ok buttons and programmatic changes.

Fair point, I didn't realise that the settings remained available once the hook was disabled, but many thanks for adding the tweaks so quickly.

BB Code i.e on the pop up box for bold text no bold text just the code , same for links etc. It only occurs if I edit the default message in anyway and save then save the new message. Is this something to do with the text editor?

I.E = Internet Explorer = Problematic Itself for IPB... For some reason Everything looks beatiful in EX: Firefox and Chrome.... Yet open up IE and view a IPB site and it totally destroys things... >__<

My Fav Choice = Firefox
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Where is the css for the popup? i cant find it anywhere.

And where is the cookie code, i need to set the popup to open once a week

Sully

I replied to your PM.

There is no CSS as this uses all IP.Board classes. You cannot change that as a setting but you may be able to by modifying the code.

I hope readers and the mod author will bear with me.
I don't know if there's already a mod out there that does what I'm proposing, but a cookie setting notification about the Terms of Service/User Agreement would help some forum admins tremendously, more so than a cookie advisory. The legal landscape in the US is changing every day, literally because of court cases in different local and federal jurisdictions resulting in different case law. Several federal cases have been decided that say even when users have been presented with a detailed TOS or UA page with an "Agree" button, that is not enough to go forward with TOS and UA violations, such as relentless trolling, hacking, libel and defamation, etc.The main problem with TOS and UA agreements and pages is that, according to the 5th federal CA, "guests" who are not required to click through a detailed UA or TOS page can plead the terms and agreement links on board pages is not enough to let them know what they can and can't do with the information offered on the sites.
If this mod can be configured to act as a cookie setting click through for "guests" (and that would be great if it could stamp a log or cookie with the IP number), with a link to the TOS/UA and a "Do Not Agree" that will put them off to a generic site such as a search site, that would be great.
Can this mod be tooled to do what I'm needing or is it something I need to put in a mod wanted area somewhere on the IPS site?
The reason I'm looking for something like this is because I've already had to deal with a few legal cases where people have read the forum, then tried taking legal action contrary to the specifications of the board's TOS and UA. All three plaintiff's claimed they shouldn't be held to the board terms because the TOS links are virtually buried (their words) on the site pages. They all said they weren't registered members, didn't have to click an "Agree" button to view the forum and TOS links are hard to see. A popup would solve a lot of those arguments for some of us.
My apologies for the long message.

I hope readers and the mod author will bear with me.

I don't know if there's already a mod out there that does what I'm proposing, but a cookie setting notification about the Terms of Service/User Agreement would help some forum admins tremendously, more so than a cookie advisory. The legal landscape in the US is changing every day, literally because of court cases in different local and federal jurisdictions resulting in different case law. Several federal cases have been decided that say even when users have been presented with a detailed TOS or UA page with an "Agree" button, that is not enough to go forward with TOS and UA violations, such as relentless trolling, hacking, libel and defamation, etc.The main problem with TOS and UA agreements and pages is that, according to the 5th federal CA, "guests" who are not required to click through a detailed UA or TOS page can plead the terms and agreement links on board pages is not enough to let them know what they can and can't do with the information offered on the sites.

If this mod can be configured to act as a cookie setting click through for "guests" (and that would be great if it could stamp a log or cookie with the IP number), with a link to the TOS/UA and a "Do Not Agree" that will put them off to a generic site such as a search site, that would be great.

Can this mod be tooled to do what I'm needing or is it something I need to put in a mod wanted area somewhere on the IPS site?

The reason I'm looking for something like this is because I've already had to deal with a few legal cases where people have read the forum, then tried taking legal action contrary to the specifications of the board's TOS and UA. All three plaintiff's claimed they shouldn't be held to the board terms because the TOS links are virtually buried (their words) on the site pages. They all said they weren't registered members, didn't have to click an "Agree" button to view the forum and TOS links are hard to see. A popup would solve a lot of those arguments for some of us.

My apologies for the long message.

Currently this hook fires when you first visit the site and don't have a cookie that the hook looks for and sets.

So you visit the site, don't have a cookie to say you've agreed to allow cookies? Show the popup. Click Ok to indicate your agreement to cookies being stored, a cookie is stored by the hook itself, and then you won't see the popup again unless your cookies get cleared.

Great Hook! Thanks, I've installed it.

I have been testing and have one request.

When a user presses cancel (I like the direct to blank page), the next time they visit the site they are not challenged - can people who press cancel
be challenged again?

Thanks!

Archived