Z-index on menus and hover cards

h2ojunkie

The z-index on user menus and hovercards needs to be increased.

By default, all rich media ads served by double click (this is what is used for serving rich media adsense ads) have a z-index of either 999999-1000000. See here: http://support.google.com/richmedia/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1249219

Since adsense/double click is the #1 ad network, and the most like ads to be used on a forum, it would be good practice to increase the z-index used in IPB for menu's and hovercards to be higher than than 1,000,000.

Yes, I agree that is an insanely high number, but since we can't control what google does, we can at least compensate for it.

For example, if you use the standard ad slot on the mobile skin for the top of the page, you can't click the sign-in button on the mobile menu because of the z-index being use by adsense.

• 4 years later...

hello, i seem to also have a thing with the z-index,  but i didnt find any other topic mentioning it and or mentioning any other change since 2012? 

our dfp banner appears on top of dropdowns  and dropdowns are not clickable i.e. instead of clicking the dropdown you click on the banner

from what i read, i need to change the z-index value of either one . making the banner lower, than the dropdown. 

bannertops.png

edit!   https://support.google.com/richmedia/answer/2408599?hl=en 

here apparently its stated that the publisher can change the banner zindex  for  the according tags.  will try and report back

- there is no such option when using dfp small business, to change the z-index. there is no field. perhaps its only possible for paying users of dfp. 

Am curious because there definitely must be other people  using dfp with invision, they must all have the same issue..

how did you resolve it? 

I actually ran into the same issue and am posting to subscribe to this thread. I was running some high impact sidewall banners that go over all of the drop downs and forms, so I had to remove them. if you find a solution, let me know. Supposedly the ad serving agent adjusted their z-index but it didn't work for me.

i will renew the support ticket i had made before the migration , i didnt have time to follow through it, and i will post you back .  did you post a support ticket back then?  

dfp says it has default 1000000 zindex setting which is ofcourse very high. 

from what i read ,  one could ad some  < >  at the advertisments inside the cp to CHANGE the zindex of the tag to make it lower but i have never seen an implementation of that nor found a working one. 

i read with a tool at firefox you can inspect the items zindex and then find the correct number to change your tag into. 

maybe @newbie LAC can help us and maybe has an idea of a sollution ?  (he has made the plugins for banner so I am guessing he knows a thing about them tags ?

@AlexWebsites  and @h2ojunkie  hello,  i noticed something,  

the problem actually consists now of the google publisher toolbar.       

when opening the site  from another browser,  (for example firefox) i do NOT have a problem with the banner, it stays below the dropdown as its supposed to,  when i dont have a google publisher toolbar installed. 

but when opening with chrome, i see that the layer thats on top of the dropdown menu is not the actual banner but the layer of the google publisher toolbar !

did you notice the above?

in this image you can clearly see the banner is effectively underneath and the layer of the google publisher toolbar is on top and doesnt let you click on the dropdown underneath.

layer_toolbar.png  

the weird thing is that below,  

at the footer,  the dropdown there is actually HIGHER than the layer of the publisher toolbar - 

layer_below.png  

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry I never noticed your reply.  The publish toolbar is set to a very high zindex intentionally so the behavior you mentioned is normal.

The reason you get different behavior on different menus is  the theme in ips doesn't have a standard for all expanding menus.

Just setting all menu items to the high value I mentioned in first post is Google's official recommendation

https://support.google.com/richmedia/troubleshooter/2903079#ts=2903081%2C2903082%2C2903195

In your theme you could find the following in your includeJS-template, located under core/global/global/includeJS

memberID: {expression="( \IPS\Member::loggedIn()->member_id ) ? \IPS\Member::loggedIn()->member_id : 0"},
			analyticsProvider: "{expression="\IPS\Settings::i()->ipbseo_ga_provider"}",
			{{if \IPS\Settings::i()->ipbseo_ga_provider == 'custom' && \IPS\Settings::i()->ipbseo_ga_paginatecode}}
			paginateCode: function () {
				{setting="ipbseo_ga_paginatecode"}
			}
			{{endif}}

Add the following under the line with "analyticsProvider:

zindex_start: 105000,

So that section becomes: 

memberID: {expression="( \IPS\Member::loggedIn()->member_id ) ? \IPS\Member::loggedIn()->member_id : 0"},
			analyticsProvider: "{expression="\IPS\Settings::i()->ipbseo_ga_provider"}",
            zindex_start: 105000,
			{{if \IPS\Settings::i()->ipbseo_ga_provider == 'custom' && \IPS\Settings::i()->ipbseo_ga_paginatecode}}
			paginateCode: function () {
				{setting="ipbseo_ga_paginatecode"}
			}
			{{endif}}

You may need to adjust the zindex_start value as needed, but this has worked for my advertisement providers.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived