Improve CKEditor integration for IPB 3.4

KT Walrus

Please consider improving the integration of the CKEditor into IPB.

I'd like to see it become even easier to use and, at the same time, encourage the user to create posts that fit the site's skin style. For example, instead of having a Font/Size/Color dropdowns to pick a huge combination of styles for post text, just replace with a Styles and Formats dropdown like in the CKEditor demo on http://ckeditor.com. I don't really want my users to post in ugly fonts or ugly colors or even in inappropriate font sizes. The Styles and Formats would force the user to style their posts consistent with the style of posts by others. Also, removing unneeded buttons like "Find", "Replace", "Undo", "Redo" would reduce interface clutter (do normal users use these buttons ever?). I also think the Fast Reply editor should have an even more limited button bar (possibly on one line of buttons instead of two). The Admin CP could also have support for customizing these button bars rather than forcing admins to do basic CKEditor customization directly (like including a button like "Find" or not or for setting up custom Styles/Formats).

Also, please attempt to have normal users never see BBCode. Even if you need to convince CKEditor developers to add missing support to visualize for some BBCode that you think the users should use (like "Quote" BBCode), I'd like to see an effort to see if this goal ("never see BBCode") could be achieved.

Even if you still can't figure out how to visualize the full Quote BBCode, maybe you could visualize a Quote-lite BBCode (where the quoted text is just styled and a heading line prepended to the quoted text like "KTWalrus wrote:" with no links or any extras in the visualization). For example, I would be okay with:

KTWalrus wrote:

Also, please attempt to have normal users never see BBCode.

Just getting my 2 cents in since I saw the blog announcing development of 3.4 today and didn't see much on end user improvements.

One other area to improve is inserting photos, attachments, etc. The user should be able to specify whether a thumbnail or the photo is inserted and whether to position the inserted image to the left, center, or right. Also, the size (thumb, small, medium, large, etc.) for the insert would be nice.

Just getting my 2 cents in since I saw the blog announcing development of 3.4 today and didn't see much on end user improvements.

That was largely intentional. They noted that they want to focus on the admin side in this update, and if at all possible keep skins from 3.3 compatible.

• 1 month later...

Archived