New License Structure

Smokey-Rev

What would be the point in running several forum apps from one core? Just curious. You can already set up different forums with different user groups. I don't see a benefit from having two forum apps (blogs etc.).

easily do domain/sub-domain stuff w/o getting all fancy with htaccess and rewrites.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What would be the point in running several forum apps from one core? Just curious. You can already set up different forums with different user groups. I don't see a benefit from having two forum apps (blogs etc.).

What if you have hundreds upon hundreds of forums, that all members are to have access too. That forum index doesnt half get a bit long. And the amount of clicking and scrolling can be a pain. I wanted to create a forum for 1 section, a forum for another to make it easier, but currently it means different sites, linked by converge, which wouldn't be ay good as, if member a wants to contact member b, that PM is prob not going to be on the same site. So one back end would allow for that sort of setup.

I could have a separate forum for football, a separate for rugby and so on. All linked so members can use them all without any efforts on their behalf.

So basically you would want to run different "web sites" with one core?

So basically you would want to run different "web sites" with one core?

What if you have hundreds upon hundreds of forums, that all members are to have access too. That forum index doesnt half get a bit long. And the amount of clicking and scrolling can be a pain. I wanted to create a forum for 1 section, a forum for another to make it easier, but currently it means different sites, linked by converge, which wouldn't be ay good as, if member a wants to contact member b, that PM is prob not going to be on the same site. So one back end would allow for that sort of setup.

I could have a separate forum for football, a separate for rugby and so on. All linked so members can use them all without any efforts on their behalf.

this too, it offers flexibility and ability to hide lot of stuff too.

This would be wonderful if possible :)

What you're talking about sounds like "Single sign-on" (sharing the same userbase across multiple forums) which, I think, is a different prospect altogether; what IPS are doing is making the "community" the top-level application with a *single* forum, gallery, blog, store, etc. underneath it - as opposed to the "community" app supporting multiple *same* child apps.

The change means that you no longer *have* to use forums, you can just run blogs on their own, or have a shop (without forums) - but still only a single instance.

If you want multiple forums, shops, blog sites, etc. you'll still need a community licence and product license for each site.

Of course I defer to the IP staff if I've got it wrong ... :)

Cheers,
Shaun :D

SSO is something very different from managing multiple sites from the same backend. It would be great if IPS would offer a solution that offers this. Though I dont see any sign of this. BUt I may be wrong.
SSO is the most basic integration between sites that exists. It can be done with IP.Converge.

Being able to manage multiple sites from one backend would be fabulous.

Indeed, but this would probably be best said in a new topic. Where one core could run multiple sites and the backend could be accessed via any of those sites but you could still manage all of the sites regardless of which URL you used.

I would fully understand though if you had to at least own multiple cores (one per unique site), still if that one core could be used to act as a multi-site ACP.

What you're talking about sounds like "Single sign-on" (sharing the same userbase across multiple forums) which, I think, is a different prospect altogether; what IPS are doing is making the "community" the top-level application with a *single* forum, gallery, blog, store, etc. underneath it - as opposed to the "community" app supporting multiple *same* child apps.

The change means that you no longer *have* to use forums, you can just run blogs on their own, or have a shop (without forums) - but still only a single instance.

If you want multiple forums, shops, blog sites, etc. you'll still need a community licence and product license for each site.

Of course I defer to the IP staff if I've got it wrong ... :smile:

Cheers,

Shaun :D

That's correct :)

Something Bitter said got me wondering. How will it be handled? Will the core components be included with every app or will it be a separate download, so to install a new site (say Content), you have to upload the core (suite) and content, then install? Or will Content include the core as well so it's one upload? I see pros/cons to both ways.

Please could i have some clarification on this point as I am also wondering how this will be handled. I also posted this in another topic. http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/363233-ips-future-looking-very-good-indeed/page__st__40

We're still discussing the technicalities, so there's not a definitive answer yet. The possibility of dynamically building your download zip and including all active components in that download automatically has been raised, for instance (so you would download one zip in your client area, instead of one for each app you've purchased). We have not determined if this is fully feasible yet, however.

• 2 months later...

Hi Mark,

Saw the announcement and slewed over to the IPS Client Resources and selected Client Area.

Clicked on Purchases and looked things over. Then noticed that in the upper right corner of the screen it says 'SIGN IN.'

Thought maybe I was signed out for some reason so then I clicked on 'Support' and reviewed my outstanding support tickets ... there was one that was awaiting my reply. I marked it 'Resolved.'

All the while the tab or nav menu, whatever, says 'SIGN IN.'

How do you purchase board now? Click new purchase..then for IPS community suite you click add to cart. Then you get taken to a page with a horrible layout..you should look at it. D:

post-294591-0-12831500-1344634152_thumb.

Then I click add to cart for board...associate it with my new package..but...at what stage does the discount for getting a second license get applied?

Archived