New License Structure

Smokey-Rev

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great job on the new structure. I fully support it. I think forum software was just a stepping stone for the company. And now with so much potential from the platform as a whole, it's much more reasonable to use the IPS Community Suite as the base platform, and then the forum software as an add-on along with the other apps since not everyone wants to drop money on forum software if they just want a CMS, or just a gallery, etc.

I think IPS will put themselves in a much better position to reach more customers this way, and it also simplifies renewals in the long run. Currently, everyone is on different renewal dates, but once everyone renews once after the changes take place, then renewals will be so much simpler because it will just be 1 payment every 6 months or so, instead of remembering there's a different renewal at random dates throughout the year.

The one thing I'm curious about, since IP.Board will be an add-on like the other applications now, that means that when you buy the IPS Community Suite license, it must come with some sort of new root/base platform to install the other add-ons on, right? In the past, apps like Content, Gallery, Blog, etc. had to be installed on an existing IP.Board installation, so this means that when you buy an IPS Community Suite license, you install a new platform which will serve as the base for which any/all of the IPS apps can get installed on, correct?

There will be a new feature in IP.Nexus 1.5 that will prorate your costs based on the date you actually do renew to match the others.

So like:

Today is 15 May and the Suite has a renewal date of 15 July. You choose to renew an expired IP.Gallery today at $10.

[*]$10 / 180 days (6 months) = $0.056 per day [*]It's 60 days until the suite renewal (15 May to 15 July) [*]60 * $0.056 = $3.34

So you would be charged $3.34 to renew IP.Gallery today and the remaining balance of your $10 payment ($6.66) will be applied to account credit so it will be used for the next invoice on your account.

Edit: changed explanation to clarify.

This is beautiful. I've wanted my content and board license to expire and renew together for the longest time because that's just what makes sense IMO. I'm really glad you're doing this and that you were able to figure out the logistics of it so well. To the person who did this mathematical mess: Congratulations.

Yes the Suite is the core and the other apps add on. Of course you have to buy at least one app when buying as otherwise there would be nothing for it to do.

Yes of course. I already own all of the apps, but in order to install any of the apps, it needs to be installed on something. Unless each app will now be reworked to be installed on its own with no base platform to install it on, just give each app its own ability to be installed just like IPB is, currently. But you answered my question by saying that the core will be the new base. Thanks! Again, really like the direction things are going in. Just more reasons IPS is taking forum software and community building in general to the next level while other forum software competitors are stagnant.

Bitter, since you're pretty familiar with our existing releases - the suite core will effectively be the 'Core' and 'Members' apps that we have now. Presently, our IP.Board releases include these, along with 'Forums'. With the new setup, 'Forums' will be separate and optional.

I just realized something. Since you're switching license systems before 4.0 comes out then that means it's possible for some people to get their hands on the next version of gallery for less than 10 cents. Epic.

Separate renewal schedules are a nightmare to keep track of so no :smile:

Well I cannot pay for all mine at the same time sorry, so I guess its time to look elsewhere, change is not always good for all. I have already been told to drop the Blog, Gallery, & IP Content.

Something Bitter said got me wondering. How will it be handled? Will the core components be included with every app or will it be a separate download, so to install a new site (say Content), you have to upload the core (suite) and content, then install? Or will Content include the core as well so it's one upload? I see pros/cons to both ways.

Well I cannot pay for all mine at the same time sorry, so I guess its time to look elsewhere, change is not always good for all.

Just renew what you can and then renew the other stuff later. It's already been said you don't have to renew everything just because it's due.

Well I cannot pay for all mine at the same time sorry, so I guess its time to look elsewhere, change is not always good for all.

You don't have to pay for all of them at the same time though. This is what happens. When the systems change over then you'll get a new cumulative license expiration date. Lets say you expire on June 10th. That means you only need to renew one item for six months renewal. Every item you renew after that can only be renewed up to that six month point and you are charged accordingly.

Just renew what you can and then renew the other stuff later. It's already been said you don't have to renew everything just because it's due.

Thanks mate, but that means if we dont update we lose access to those areas of the forum

• Management

Can you please explain me. I have perpetual licence with all addons, and perpetual licence without addons. What is expiration date? Perpetual licence will be still perpetual?

Yes the blog and topic entries specifically say the Perpetual license is still the same.

Can you please explain me. I have perpetual licence with all addons, and perpetual licence without addons. What is expiration date? Perpetual licence will be still perpetual?

I would imagine when your yearly renewal is due is when the others are due too.

Bitter, since you're pretty familiar with our existing releases - the suite core will effectively be the 'Core' and 'Members' apps that we have now. Presently, our IP.Board releases include these, along with 'Forums'. With the new setup, 'Forums' will be separate and optional.

Thanks. That clears things up for me. That's pretty much what I had pictured the core would be, since things like the members app is more of a global thing, not just IPB, that it would be included, but didn't want to assume anything. Looking forward to the future :)

-scratching head- So this means that I would have to renew my license to the Suite right? I currently just have a standard license with just the forum, I would have to get the suite and then put my forum onto it in order to get it to work?
Also I guess this is where I am confused, the system is going to be the same way as where if I want another addon I still have to pay the 75 then get it, or is it already included

I am kinda confused to be honest. I like the whole thing and it's pretty cool that everything is under one hut, but I didn't get the payment thing right. So I bought my IPB (Only Forums, nothing else) License last year, renewed it already after it expired for the next 6months, so my question is now: What do I need to pay when 4.0 is released?

Sorry for my bad English and thanks for any answer!

I'm fine with the changes and it will a tidier for my book keeping.

What do I need to pay when 4.0 is released?

Nothing provided you have active contracts. Just as it is now when IPS puts out a new version.

3DKiwi

Archived