New License Structure

Smokey-Rev

So basically.....we'll now have to renew our licenses every month....and it now becomes sort of a leased product rather then an owned product? That's what i'm getting from this post. Please shed some knowledge if this is the incorrect assumption?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not quite understanding how this works for renewing products outside of the cycle?

Currently, I have IP.Board and IP.Content active. I understand the formula, all is good with that. BUT, if I choose to renew Gallery at a later date, it won't match up (release date wise) to IP.Board and IP.Content. How does this work? Surely the six-month wont actually be six-monthly?

I'm sure you've thought of this and I'm just overlooking/misunderstanding it. I'll read it again...

• Management

I'm not quite understanding how this works for renewing products outside of the cycle?

Currently, I have IP.Board and IP.Content active. I understand the formula, all is good with that. BUT, if I choose to renew Gallery at a later date, it won't match up (release date wise) to IP.Board and IP.Content. How does this work? Surely the six-month wont actually be six-monthly?

I'm sure you've thought of this and I'm just overlooking/misunderstanding it. I'll read it again...

There will be a new feature in IP.Nexus 1.5 that will prorate your costs based on the date you actually do renew to match the others.

So like:

Today is 15 May and the Suite has a renewal date of 15 July. You choose to renew an expired IP.Gallery today at $10. So you would be charged $3.34 to renew IP.Gallery today and the remaining balance of your $10 payment ($6.66) will be applied to account credit so it will be used for the next invoice on your account. Edit: changed explanation to clarify.
  1. $10 / 180 days (6 months) = $0.056 per day
  2. It's 60 days until the suite renewal (15 May to 15 July)
  3. 60 * $0.056 = $3.34

Seems hella complicated. Good thing for me, most my stuff is expired, so to save the troubles. I'll wait till everything is on one payment, then do that.

Excited about new changes. Always wanted to start a new site using Nexus and the CMS.

Not sure how my post ended up here.. But I have a question..

Does this mean users will need to buy the IPS Community Suite and then buy all the individual apps? Or will the suite come free as a framework to license holders and then you buy the apps that add on?

• Management

Way it works now:

• IP.Board Standard License = $175 + $25 renewal

Way it will work after change:
  • IPS Community Suite = $100 no renewal
    • IP.Board = $75 + $25 renewal

So same pricing just presented differently :)

Q: Can I renew one add-on at a time? i.e. Sometimes I don't renew blog add-on on my forums as it's hardly used... So I skip renewing my blog license and instead I renew Nexus and such.

This new schema is complicated.. i liked old one much better since it was pretty simple, really.

I've been wanting this change for SO long!.. Finally be able to run IP.Content solo!

This! I hope I can run Nexus + Content :smile:

Way it works now:

• IP.Board Standard License = $175 + $25 renewal

Way it will work after change:

• IPS Community Suite = $100 no renewal
    • IP.Board = $75 + $25 renewal

So same pricing just presented differently :smile:

I like that. Good thinking.

• Management

Q: Can I renew one add-on at a time? i.e. Sometimes I don't renew blog add-on on my forums as it's hardly used... So I skip renewing my blog license and instead I renew Nexus and such.

This new schema is complicated.. i liked old one much better since it was pretty simple, really.

Just as now you can choose not to renew a single addon.

In what way is it complicated? All we are doing is moving IP.Board under the Suite rather than as the root app :)

Just as now you can choose not to renew a single addon.

In what way is it complicated? All we are doing is moving IP.Board under the Suite rather than as the root app :smile:

Go it! I thought all will be clubbed together as each renewal date will be same. I guess, I understood now how it's going to work. Looking forward for it. :)

• Management

Go it! I thought all will be clubbed together as each renewal date will be same. I guess, I understood now how it's going to work. Looking forward for it. :smile:

Actually in IP.Nexus 1.5 there's a feature whereby users can cancel renewals without needing to raise a ticket :)

There will be a new feature in IP.Nexus 1.5 that will prorate your costs based on the date you actually do renew to match the others.

So like:

Today is 15 May and the Suite has a renewal date of 15 July. You choose to renew an expired IP.Gallery today at $10.

[*]$10 / 180 days (6 months) = $0.056 per day [*]It's 60 days until the suite renewal (15 May to 15 July) [*]60 * $0.056 = $3.34

So you would be charged $3.34 to renew IP.Gallery today and then on 15 July receive a normal $10 renewal price.

Don't suppose we'll have the option to keep the add-ons on a separate renewal schedule. So using your example, if I wanted to pay $10 to keep it renewed for 6 months instead of only until the next IPB renewal. Or would I just have to wait for it to expire and then when I need it to be active again, renew at that time? Some people keep the renewal times separates to cut down on a big lump renewal cost, finding it easier to swallow renewals spread out.

• Management

Don't suppose we'll have the option to keep the add-ons on a separate renewal schedule. So using your example, if I wanted to pay $10 to keep it renewed for 6 months instead of only until the next IPB renewal. Or would I just have to wait for it to expire and then when I need it to be active again, renew at that time? Some people keep the renewal times separates to cut down on a big lump renewal cost, finding it easier to swallow renewals spread out.

Separate renewal schedules are a nightmare to keep track of so no :)

I'm hoping IPB's demotion to an addon product doesn't dillite its value as awesome forum software. Probably a good move for the long run though.

I think it's a rather great move. People who didn't want to buy the board app but wanted to get another app can do that now without spending extra money for nothing. I can only imagine that there are some people who have held off on making a purchase because of this. So being able to do something like Nexus only ($100 + $75 = $175), they're saving $75 by not having to purchase IPB at the same time. Then if they decide to get IPB, they can add it on.

Since IPB has been the core product for so long, I'm sure it'll continue to get a high amount of attention, so I'm not worried about its quality degrading at all.

Sorry but am well confused as not sure why the community suite license as seems no different that purchasing board on its own ??

I currently have forum, blog, gallery, content, downloads and nexus so imagine there is no change for me other than having to pay all licenses in one go ?

personally I prefer to pay for licences seperately as if they are all 'tied together' so they all are renewed at the same time (which am assuming is the gist of what will be happening) will be more awkward for me due to currently they are spread out and if they all become payable at the same time then afraid not going to be able to pay for all licenses in one go every 6 months, but no doubt I will be the only one.

Sorry but am well confused as not sure why the community suite license as seems no different that purchasing board on its own ??

Think of it from a new buyer point of view. You don't want IP.Board, but you want IP.Nexus. You buy the core product (the suite) and Nexus, you pay $175 ($100 for the suite and $75 for Nexus). You can buy IP.Board separately later on. It's a matter of being able to buy the apps you want instead of being required to buy IP.Board even if you don't plan to use it.

personally I prefer to pay for licences seperately as if they are all 'tied together' so they all are renewed at the same time (which am assuming is the gist of what will be happening) will be more awkward for me due to currently they are spread out and if they all become payable at the same time then afraid not going to be able to pay for all licenses in one go every 6 months, but no doubt I will be the only one.

I think you can pick and choose what to renew and then can renew the other stuff later.

This does make me wonder. What if someone buys Suite + Nexus and then 3 months later buys Board, is that prorated too or is it for 6 months and then the renewal is prorated?

I'm hoping IPB's demotion to an addon product doesn't dillite its value as awesome forum software. Probably a good move for the long run though.

It will not. IP.Board is already an 'addon product' behind the scenes for the most part, with just a few bits sprinkled throughout the core to make it the default app and autoload certain things it needs. IP.Board will remain as strong as ever.

As a client, I don't know if I'm too big of a fan of the new licensing structure. I don't want to pay for renewals for certain applications until they get a large enough update to the extent that I feel purchasing the upgrade ability is worth it. For example, if IP.Board gets a significant update/improvement I'll likely renew my license for that application. However, other applications may not see any significant changes (in my eyes) before that license renewal expires. Staggering time periods takes the load off of rather high renewal fees ($210/y?) and also eliminates the necessity to pay for an unneeded active license.

Of course, I may have interpreted everything incorrectly. There appears to be quite a bit of confusion in this thread, and I don't think the announcement did much in explaining it.

With that said, I am looking forward to the new community suite system. :smile:

Archived