Stop the CAPTCHA Madness!

ørret

I have to be honest, some of the CAPTCHA's are awful to read the letters.

Quite often, I'll have the 'older' generation of members contact me by email to say they can't register because of the 'thing you have to type into a box'.

I also hate CAPTCHA, because I have to cycle through a dozen or more ( usually ) images to find on remotely readable. It has kept me from joining more than one site.

Besides a good spam DB does as good a job if not better.

Yes, everybody hates CAPTCHA, But not everyone suited your way to "STOP THE CAPTCHA MADNESS!"

There are many ways to replace the CAPTCHA, but most of them are associated with specific problems.

Compatibility with multiple platforms, performance, internationalization ...

For example your suggestion supports only English. Perhaps there are other problems. But I did not spend time on it. One problem is sufficient.

I saw one a while ago, not sure what site it was now, similar to that in a way. You had about six pieces of a picture and had to drag them to the correct locations, a bit like a 3/4 filled jigsaw, just add the missing bits.

I saw one a while ago, not sure what site it was now, similar to that in a way. You had about six pieces of a picture and had to drag them to the correct locations, a bit like a 3/4 filled jigsaw, just add the missing bits.

KeyCAPTCHA

I believe you refer to KeyCapcha? This one is cooler because its a game! + I trust Americans over Russians more, after all Russia is one of the leading countries when it comes to spam. Me personally wouldn't put my money or faith in an antispam service from Russia, which could turn out as a spam service or some commercial s**t with ads etc. No offense meant, but statistics, history, common sense and mother nature (instinct) tells me to stay away ^^

Looks like it has some issues. If you use the default 'Lightbox' style, it's not visible on the registration form (which I guess is intentional, as the idea there is it is intended to be done after submitting the form if I'm reading their FAQ correctly), but there's no text indicating why it's not visible, and I'm not sure that method would even work in IP.Board, although I've not tested it.

The other 'Embedded' style produces javascript errors, which cause the Terms of Use text to appear in a textarea (which doesn't show all of the text) instead of being clickable to view it in a popup.

In either style, the "PlayThru Human Verification" text is not styled properly.

So it's a neat idea, but there are some bugs with this yet. It's not quite ready for prime time IMO.

I see I'm the only person who likes captcha. Don't you guys know that you only have to get the easier word correct? I always type the n word in for the harder word. Yes, I know. It's quite possibly the most immature thing a person could do on the internet, but that's what they get for making me type ridiculous words. Just google 'recaptcha *insert n word here*' to see what I'm talking about.

Also, I'm apparently not a human. My game involved me putting drinks in the cooler, so I was trying to drop the drinks into the cooler. One minute later I found out that I just have to drag the drinks across the cooler. Whatever.

Thanks for the feedback! We are currently working to improve the plugin for Invision Power Board, and will let you know when we have updated it.

Would be nice if the plugin could be posted here in the marketplace so that we easily can report bugs and give general feedback. You will get much more feedback here than on your official site. Also many people don't even know about your IPB plugin, it seems hidden on your site... please put it on the marketsplace here for all IPB users to see. It's a Win-Win for all.

• 1 month later...

Anyone know if the KeyCAPTCHA one works without issues?

I have been using it on my site for over a year and in that time have had fewer than 5 spam signups. IPS should integrate it as one of the default captcha options in my opinion, the results of using it are miraculous.

The only issue I've come across was it not working on someone's iPhone. That was some time ago though and the KeyCATPCHA site does claim iPhone support now. I don't have any iOS device so can't test, but it certainly works on my Android phone.

I haven't really had any problems with spammers or spambots. The IPB software is more versatile than anyone thinks. Not only do I use IPS' antispam service, but I also use the 'question and answer" challenge and my forums are so unique that only members associated with my forum or those who know the subject matter can actually answer the Q&A challenge.

The problem that I've founjd is that too many forum owners use Q&A challenges that are too easy to answer. What is 2+2? What color is the sky? These are too easy to answer. If your forums are based on Warhammer, Runescape or Japanese anime ... center your Q&A around those subjects ... automated spammers aren't going to know those answers unless they are programmed to do real research on those subjects and that requires a real person. lols

My Q&A challenge is so unique that not very many people are aware of the subject matter ... which means that spammers rarely get through, when they do, the IPS antispam feature nabs them.

Archived