Problem with IPBoard WYSIWYG Editor and Chrome

Bridger

Hello,

I frequent a few IPBoard forums, and have been having an extremely frustrating time typing in them. Here is the problem:

1) Type "test"
2) insert a space
3) turn on some formatting (bold or Italics both cause the issue) and type "test" again
4) Insert another space, turn off the previous formatting, and type "test" again
5) Hit Backspace

Instead of deleting the "t" in the final "test" the cursor jumps back to the end of the bolded or Italicized text and deletes that instead. This is incredibly frustrating, as every time I make a typo in a paragraph where I have used some formatting the cursor will jump back on me when I try to simply delete the most recent word. This works on these forums as well. It appears to only be an issue with Chrome.

Here's another editor that seems to have the same problem, and what they did to solve it. Please fix this soon, it's so frustrating :(

• 2 weeks later...

I agree this has been an issue for me and I refuse to use FireFox lately, however I could have sworn FireFox was the same, I will test it later. I have noticed quite a few other problems with the IP.Board WYSIWYG editor and I posted about them before but no one replied to my post and it dropped several pages. This issue has been going on since at least IPB 3.2 if not prior to that, it is frustrating and it would be nice to know if someone is looking in to the problem.

There must be some sort of work around for it, because I use other sites (in particular the wordpress WYSIWYG editor and I have no issues in Chrome)... With Chrome approaching to be, if not already, the most popular browser on the web I think it is something that needs looking at. If the bug has been unresolved for 5 years on Chrome's end then I think considering most of our users will be using Chrome then perhaps it is something which someone needs to work around. The old IPB WYSIWYG editor used to work fine in Chrome too. Simply suggesting just don't use chrome is not resolving the issue. If Wordpress can get their WYSIWYG editor to work properly (and its a really nice editor), then I am sure IPS can do something about this too.

There must be some sort of work around for it, because I use other sites (in particular the wordpress WYSIWYG editor and I have no issues in Chrome)... With Chrome approaching to be, if not already, the most popular browser on the web I think it is something that needs looking at. If the bug has been unresolved for 5 years on Chrome's end then I think considering most of our users will be using Chrome then perhaps it is something which someone needs to work around. The old IPB WYSIWYG editor used to work fine in Chrome too. Simply suggesting just don't use chrome is not resolving the issue. If Wordpress can get their WYSIWYG editor to work properly (and its a really nice editor), then I am sure IPS can do something about this too.

Wordpress uses TinyMCE as their editor. IPB uses CKEditor. Saying "if Wordpress can do it then IPS can do it" isn't very fair.

• 2 months later...

I would just like to see a true wysiwyg editor for IP. This software has so much more potential to make it more useable especially for IP.Content. Saying if wordpress can do why can't IPS is absolutely fair, whether you like it or not, it is all about comparing software.

I would just like to see a true wysiwyg editor for IP. This software has so much more potential to make it more useable especially for IP.Content. Saying if wordpress can do why can't IPS is absolutely fair, whether you like it or not, it is all about comparing software.

IPS Chose what they saw as the most maintained, least buggy WYSIWYG available.
CKE Bugs, all reported.
TinyMCE Bugs open/verified and not fixed(1114 bugs)
Not much of a choice.... CKE wins that contest hands down.

Uh. No. It's not. You can't just take what I said and say the opposite. xD

They use different editors. That's why IPB has the bug and WP doesn't. Nothing more to it. Discussion is over.

Expanding the editor's capabilities has little to do with which editor is chosen. ATM the software (IP.Board and addons) have a bbcode backend system, so anything in the editor has to be converted to bbcode behind the scenes. This is a difficult process to handle correctly when working with an RTE, so the options are limited. Besides, MOST end users have no need to see 80000 buttons that can do everything under the sun. They just want to post.

As we start moving away from a bbcode backend system we will continue to evaluate our options.

• 4 months later...

We continue to have a problem with the cursor jumping around when member's format their reply. When the font or color is changed, the cursor jumps around when enter is hit. I was able to replicate the problem on Chrome just now. Any solutions?

We continue to have a problem with the cursor jumping around when member's format their reply. When the font or color is changed, the cursor jumps around when enter is hit. I was able to replicate the problem on Chrome just now. Any solutions?

Don't use Chrome.

Don't use Chrome.

I hope you aren't saying they should use Firefox.

Either tell them to use Firefox/Opera or to stop using WYSIWYG and use the basic editor. It won't take them long to get the hang of using the bbcode tags. Not tough to get used to at all.

I doubt the end user cares who's fault it is. They just expect it to work. Sucks that the developers have to work around it but that is their job. For years people worked around IE's "bugs" -- that is just part of life.

see edit, firstly.

Secondly, if a third-party plug-in has a bug, you correctly blame the third-party plug-in, until the point at which the first-party code is to blame for being an outdated usage(which is this, it works as intended in CKE 4).

We *still* work around IE's "bugs", for reference, but that lays at our feet, and is something we can do something about directly.

This sentence is like blaming the waiter for the chef's bad cooking.

I doubt the end user cares whos fault it is. They just expect it to work. Sucks that the developers have to work around it but that is their job. For years people worked around IE's "bugs" -- that is just part of life.

I cannot even reproduce the OP issue on chrome on IPB 3.4 now... are we moaning about a bug already fixed?

If you experience editor bugs, report them, the issue the OP describes as far as I can discern in testing is in fact fixed.

see edit, firstly.

Secondly, if a third-party plug-in has a bug, you correctly blame the third-party plug-in, until the point at which the first-party code is to blame for being an outdated usage(which is this, it works as intended in CKE 4).

We *still* work around IE's "bugs", for reference, but that lays at our feet, and is something we can do something about directly.

This sentence is like blaming the waiter for the chef's bad cooking.

If the food is bad I don't care why... it is up to the chef to use better water or treat the water they have to taste better. It is their job to present a product that their customers like and utilize the tools and food they have... correcting or covering up any flaws they have.

Don't use Chrome.

I will like to nominate this response as the most stupid response ever posted to a support question.

Jesus , who the hack do you think you guys are and posting stupid responses like this to license owners. Do you actually see that you are hurting IPB with these kind of messages ?

Archived