Tools & commands to diagnose problems

Thanks for the list. Just thought I'd add

1. my.cnf for debian/ubuntu most likely found at /etc/mysql/my.cnf instead of /etc/my.cnf which is more common on centOS/RHEL systems
2. nginx.conf you can use command below to find path to nginx.conf as well as nginx compile options

nginx -V[/CODE]

3. apache fullstatus you can isolate just the stats without all the user info via

[CODE]apachectl fullstatus | egrep '(Server Version|Server Built|Current Time|Restart Time|Parent Server Generation|Server Uptime|Total accesses|CPU Usage|requests/sec -|requests currently being processed)'

Time saver wise, i prefer using http://mysqlmymon.com/ you linked to, it's very quick in providing nearly all the info above as well some more useful options i.e. list a databases' table structure, indexes and outputting to screen or txt file for comparing database structure/indexes or finding if you have missing indexes in your database tables. I set it up as a cron job to email me stats at a set interval i.e. hourly or daily so i can monitor my stats :smile: I also have Cacti installed but rarely login to view those stats since i started using mysqlmymon.com script. Cacti is good for trend analysis over a long period though.

Most main one is to tail the server error logs to see what's happening.

You can do this by SSH with the command:

tail -f /var/log/messages

Think your server is under a SYS attack ? Check the connections per IP:

netstat -ntu | awk '{print $5}' | cut -d: -f1 | sort | uniq -c | sort -n

Block an IP in IP tables:

iptables -A INPUT -s ***.***.***.*** -j DROP

Optimize all tables on the server

mysqlcheck -u root --optimize --all-databases

Optimize and repair all tables on the server:

mysqlcheck -u root --repair --optimize --all-databases

Gary.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Moving the mysql to a new / quicker partition

High CPU from mysql, Full /var but fast /home HDD, Then move your mysql to a new partition for faster response times, Better CPU and lower I/O.

Just follow the guide below for moving the mysql from /var to /home, But please BACKUP ! I will not be held responsible for errors / mistakes.

First stop services that use mysql, such as mysql itself or any httpd applications.

Edit and change the my.cnf:

nano /etc/my.cnf

#Now in the mysqld section add the following:

pid-file = /home/mysql/mysqld.pid
socket = /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

datadir = /home/mysql
basedir = /home/mysql

rsync -vrplogDtH /var/lib/mysql/ /home/mysql/
rsync -vrplogDtH /var/lib/mysql/ /home/mysql/

#Set the mysql.sock so that it functions correctly:

ln -s /home/mysql/mysql.sock /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
rm -rf /tmp/mysql.sock
ln -s /home/mysql/mysql.sock /tmp/mysql.sock

#Restart the mysql service so it is on the new parition:

killall -9 mysqld

service mysql start

That's it, Reload your website - If it loads then all is good, If not you made a Boo Boo !

Well, The majority of the server runs from /var, So with heavy mysql then yes you will see a gain, If not the CPU then it will be the I/O.

I done this on many servers, Mostly putting it on a different HDD and I seen loads drop by 70% but moving it to /home is just as good.

How to change your SSH port:

having the default port 22 to something else on your hosting server can be something like preventing the hackers from accessing your server from the front door. Though you should note that this process would not make your server 100% safe from intrusion, but it can definitely keep professional hackers busy with finding other vulnerabilities on the server. However, changing the port of your SSH can add to the security of your server.

Do the step by step guide below.

# Edit she SSH config file:

nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config

Search for the line that has the value: #port 22

Change this and uncomment to something like:

port 46987

Or you can use any port assuming it's not being used by another service.

Once done, Save the configuration file:

Restart the ssh service by:

/etc/init.d/sshd restart

Please note, If you use a firewall open the port your changing to.

• 2 months later...

To check your hard drive:

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync; unlink test

To view the SMART data of your hard drive:

smartctl -a /dev/sda

To run short test:

smartctl --test=short /dev/sda

To run long test:

smartctl --test=long /dev/sda[/code]

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Some contribuitor should make app to test and help make the best configuration for IPS installation from  diferente server pack(if apache or nginx, if ubuntu or centos etc). I think it wiil be usefull for new admin withou experience and coding knowlege(like me:().

• 2 weeks later...
On 17 November 2016 at 9:47 AM, kmk said:

Some contribuitor should make app to test and help make the best configuration for IPS installation from  diferente server pack(if apache or nginx, if ubuntu or centos etc). I think it wiil be usefull for new admin withou experience and coding knowlege(like me:().

@kmk For Nginx try centminmod for a vps or dedicated - then use Jimmys IPS nginx config

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Tools
The following are tools you can run in order to gather further data. These can be run from ssh and is only accessible for vps, cloud and dedicated servers for linux distributions.

top - Top processes (very useful for any scenario) | top is usually available in all linux OS distros by default.

top (this will constantly output your server's general status as well as top processes, default in CPU usage order)

top n -1 (same as above, but will output your first stat instead of constant loop)

Please excuse my ignorance. First, we use IPB Hosting (Invision Community hosting). The above is way over my head and don't even know what to google to understand what 'Top processes (very useful for any scenario)' means? When I ask for IC support they never ask me for this so what does this do to help me understand how this would be useful to me or support or any of the community members here?  I also have no idea what 'all linus OS distros by default' means. I want to learn if this is important and I assume, since you list towards the top, this is something I should understand. You have the time to explain all this to me?  This would be my first question since the rest of what you wrote is over the top and looks like code developer talk to me. But I want to learn. I use a Mac and have Terminal. Is it really important that I learn how to use 'htop - an interactive process viewer'??? What does this tool do?

Edited by bradybarrows

3 minutes ago, bradybarrows said:

Tools
The following are tools you can run in order to gather further data. These can be run from ssh and is only accessible for vps, cloud and dedicated servers for linux distributions.

top - Top processes (very useful for any scenario) | top is usually available in all linux OS distros by default.

top (this will constantly output your server's general status as well as top processes, default in CPU usage order)

top n -1 (same as above, but will output your first stat instead of constant loop)

Please excuse my ignorance. First, we use IPB Hosting (Invision Community hosting). The above is way over my head and don't even know what to google to understand what 'Top processes (very useful for any scenario)' means? When I ask for IC support they never ask me for this so what does this do to help me understand how this would be useful to me or support or any of the community members here?  I also have no idea what 'all linus OS distros by default' means. I want to learn if this is important and I assume, since you list towards the top, this is something I should understand. You have the time to explain all this to me?  This would be my first question since the rest of what you wrote is over the top and looks like code developer talk to me. But I want to learn. 

These commands are not applicable to IPS cloud hosting. It’s for self hosted customers with access to SSH. 

Edited by Randy Calvert