Run multiple sites from the same backend (suggestion)

Alfa1

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too am looking for something like this for my gaming community, we have over 9 different divisions(games) we play and would like to have the main domain and then sub-domains to each game like gw2.domain.com and when people go to gw2 sub-domain it has its own GW2 theme and has its own forums.

However I want things like News and Announcement forums connected between the two. Then the GW2 members will have their own private forums on the sub-domain. If that were possible it would be amazing.

We've now come to a point where we will create a "sistersite" to our main forum running from it's own domain, ideally we would like to use the same ip.board environment since some categories of these forums would benefit of being shared but other categories will be 'exclusive" to respective forum.

What are our options? It seems we can't do this out of the box so some customization will be required (or?) and I'd like to listen if someone else managed to get this to work.

Thanks in advance.

I think our best bet is to hope that IPS will recognise the demand for this function and also that this function will generate more sales for IPS. Hopefully IPS will consider this for IPS 4.

Such functionality really needs to be in the core, because it will need to be compatible with the latest version of the core at all times. Relying on third parties for such fundamental functionality is tricky.

IPS has already taken the first step with IP.Connect which provides SSO. They have already hinted that they want to extend IP.Connect. So hopefully they will go the full monty and provide the needed functionality to run multiple websites from the same database.

I need to create 2-4 spin-off websites, Additionally I want to acquire a number of websites in my niche and all manage all websites from 1 backend while keeping the websites separate.

I would need a full suite license for each website. I would also purchase hook products from the marketplace for every website, which also generates income for IPS.

• 2 weeks later...

Well if it doesn't happen soon sadly I am going to have to say goodbye to IPB and move over to VB. I really need this functionality.

IPB was supposed to be more robust then VB but honestly the amount of stuff you can do out the box in VB compared to here... VB has it hands down.

Well if it doesn't happen soon sadly I am going to have to say goodbye to IPB and move over to VB. I really need this functionality.

Does VB have this functionality now? One of the reasons I switched was because VB wasn't even exploring this, and IPS was at least taking steps in that direction with Converge (and now Connect).

As I said above, I agree this is a much-needed feature and is in great demand.

IPB was supposed to be more robust then VB but honestly the amount of stuff you can do out the box in VB compared to here... VB has it hands down.

To my knowledge, VB does not have this functionality out of the box either. :)

• 6 years later...
On 12/1/2012 at 7:15 AM, Alfa1 said:

I think our best bet is to hope that IPS will recognise the demand for this function and also that this function will generate more sales for IPS. Hopefully IPS will consider this for IPS 4.

Such functionality really needs to be in the core, because it will need to be compatible with the latest version of the core at all times. Relying on third parties for such fundamental functionality is tricky.

IPS has already taken the first step with IP.Connect which provides SSO. They have already hinted that they want to extend IP.Connect. So hopefully they will go the full monty and provide the needed functionality to run multiple websites from the same database..

6 years later, and where are we at with this feature from IPS?

Anyway to achieve these:

1. In the slaves ips, when user click on sign in go to directly to the master sign in button. 

2. When click on sign up, go to directly to the master ips register form. 

The purpose is make the master ips like a only one registration portal. 

Archived