Run multiple sites from the same backend (suggestion)

Alfa1

I would also love this, and can easily say I would buy 5+ more licences to do it, maybe many more, at the moment I am having difficulty in figuring out how to set up my new idea's with the fact it all needs to be on 1 site for it to work seamlessly. As IP.Converge just doesn't cut it for what I have in mind.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would also love this, and can easily say I would buy 5+ more licences to do it, maybe many more, at the moment I am having difficulty in figuring out how to set up my new idea's with the fact it all needs to be on 1 site for it to work seamlessly. As IP.Converge just doesn't cut it for what I have in mind.

would not permission sets do this ?

would not permission sets do this ?

No, as all members would have access to all area's. But with a potential of 20+ categories, each having 20+ sub categories, and each having hundreds of potential forums, 1 site is just not going to work in the long run, its going to be too congested.

My current site, which is just a hobby kind of site, only covers one small area of what I am hoping to achieve in the long run, It is literally just 1 sub category of my overall idea. Which currently has over 110 forums.

For me, my ideal set up would be.

mainsite.com
cat1.mainsite.com
cat2.mainsite.com
cat3.mainsite.com
cat4.mainsite.com
cat5.mainsite.com

Each only showing their set category, but all being able to work together so to speak.

I did look at converge, but that just doesn't do enough for it to work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

One major feature that I desperately need for my sites is the ability to share forums between websites.

Cerberus for vbulletin does this. Internet Brands uses it on their forums. It shows the same members online for multiple websites, and allows the admin to mix and match forums, groups, blogs, CMS content, etc. Only one backend to update for many websites makes it easy to manage a network.

I would love to see something like this for IPS.

• 1 month later...

With mix n match content I mean that I can choose which forums, (...) I show on which site.

We have something like this for one of the forums we host. Is something like this what you mean?

http://klikk.no/forum/barnimagen
http://klikk.no/forum/dinbaby

If you look at the forum list you can see that they're different depending on what url you view it from after the top list. The default skin is also different depending on what url you visit it from.

(The forums at the top are the same for both urls / shared, so be sure to look beneath those and compare the sites)

Not so sure whether it would work on completely separate domains. It's not an optimal solution either, one could argue, since all other features would grab from both, regardless of url, so you would need to do it for everything. Since everything is still on the same DB of course, we just change what forums are viewed based on url and the skin that is forced on the forum.

It's not a question of whether this can be done, as I know it can (i've done it recently just to see if it can be done). It's a question as to whether it will be done. It's unlikely that a product like this would be permitted on the marketplace because of the licensing implications.

It's not a question of whether this can be done, as I know it can (i've done it recently just to see if it can be done). It's a question as to whether it will be done. It's unlikely that a product like this would be permitted on the marketplace because of the licensing implications.

However.... If you were to charge for Connect, then all of that could be avoided and we both know people would jump at this. I have been wanting something like this since IPB 2.x and I know I'm not alone...

Imagine that you could setup a totally new license system just for connect that would support x number of boards.... Just like IP Chat, you have your neat way of making more money and you keep everyone happy...

I really don't understand why this hasn't been created yet if clearly, you've already taken an interest yourself...

It's pretty clear in my eyes, one license per url:

Invision Power Services (IPS) grants you a non-exclusive license to use the Software on one installation to be accessible by one URL (web address) subject to the provisions in all sections of this Agreement.

There's no licensing issue there. If you've managed to accomplish it, how about letting us know how you did it, so we can have a go at doing it ourselves?

It's pretty clear in my eyes, one license per url:

There's no licensing issue there. If you've managed to accomplish it, how about letting us know how you did it, so we can have a go at doing it ourselves?

I'd be happy to provide you with a working hook file in private once it is more polished. Right now it requires a hack to conf_global, has stuff hard coded etc.

I'd be happy to provide you with a working hook file in private once it is more polished. Right now it requires a hack to conf_global, has stuff hard coded etc.

In what way does your solution share the backend? Does it use different databases and cache/public/upload/hooks-folders, or do you have it all setup to run on the same db/folders?

In what way does your solution share the backend? Does it use different databases and cache/public/upload/hooks-folders, or do you have it all setup to run on the same db/folders?

1 IPB install. Many domains pointing to it. Different output based on domain.

TO clarify, I don't use this live, thus I do not know the challenges re: cookies, etc. It's something I made to 'see if I could'.

Additionally, If it would keep track of board statistics separately (as well as together) that would be awesome.

E.g.:

SiteA.com has forums a,b,c which have a combined 1,000 topics and 10,000 posts. It shows that on the bottom of Site A.

SiteB.com has forums d,e,f which have a combined 2,000 topics and 20,000 posts. It shows that on the bottom of Site B.

It shows "Network Statistics" on the bottom of both sites (3,000 topics and 30,000 posts).

Archived