Run multiple sites from the same backend (suggestion)

Alfa1

I would like to run multiple sites from one backend, be able to mix and match content, and show users to be logged in, once they log in on one of the sites.
With mix n match content I mean that I can choose which forums, which gallery categories, which IPC sections or which blog categories I show on which site.

This would not only allow me to easily create spin off sites, it would also allow me to keep my sites updated with 1 update.

I know that its possible to do a user login integration between with IP.Converge, but that doesn't go far enough.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love to see this as well but it would require you to sync all the database's and somehow make them connected and able to transfer data from one another with ease... Would take a lot of work I'd imagine however it would be pretty amazing and i would pay Top Dollar for it.

Cookies would be no problem at all. I have been using cookies for multiple domains for many years.
I'm certain that this can be done, as there are many sites already using such networks.

Alfa1 - can you clarify your last post? Cookies cannot be read across domains (they can be read across subdomains, but that's not what you were asking for I think). It's a security thing implemented by browsers, not something websites have any control over.

Multi-domains is possible in other kinds of platforms. For example:
Wordpress is able to use multiple domain names. You park the added domain names onto the main domain. Then a bit of WP magic assigns the domain name to a blog (technically a sub-domain or folder). Add to the mix their BP and you have a place where everyone unites. As for moving content around, WP cannot do that at this time either.

I'd like to see profiles shared across several boards, at least. One profile for the entire network.

Alfa1 - can you clarify your last post? Cookies cannot be read across domains (they can be read across subdomains, but that's not what you were asking for I think). It's a security thing implemented by browsers, not something websites have any control over.

I've done this since 2005, by using a cookie cutter hack for this. You can have control over it. The creator of Vaultwiki made one such hacks 5 years ago. It still works fine. Search Google for "CES Cookie Cutter - Share Cookies Between Domains" to see how.

For example: your can have community.invisionpower.com and forum.ipb.com and share cookies between the two domains. Or even add more domains.

Being able to share the code would be nice the issue would be being able to have styling, hooks, apps yadda yadda configurable by 'dite' it would be a big headache.

What would help us multisite people is the IPS delivered stuff being able to update itself like Wordpress does without download/upload or the push system (which will still not do Nexus last time I checked).

I've done this since 2005, by using a cookie cutter hack for this. You can have control over it. The creator of Vaultwiki made one such hacks 5 years ago. It still works fine. Search Google for "CES Cookie Cutter - Share Cookies Between Domains" to see how.

For example: your can have community.invisionpower.com and forum.ipb.com and share cookies between the two domains. Or even add more domains.

It appears to be a VB mod - I don't have access to it, as such.

Being able to share the code would be nice the issue would be being able to have styling, hooks, apps yadda yadda configurable by 'dite' it would be a big headache.

Why would it be a big headache? Its complex, but doable. And the demand for this is huge.

Why would it be a big headache? Its complex, but doable. And the demand for this is huge.

Didn't say it wasn't 'doable'. But consider that Expression Engine has this and it costs quite a bit, I would not expect IPS to do all that dev for nix!

I would definitely purchase another license if something could be done. I was ready to purchase another license when I got a new domain, because I wanted to do something similar to that. . go thing I waited. haha

I think this would be a bigger demand than most would think, and I believe it would help IPB out as well.

I know for certain that the demand for this is big. Simply looking at the response that such solutions on other platforms are getting, tells you a lot. Multi-site solutions are highly popular for forum software, and also in e-commerce software. And those who need this, are generally willing to pay for it if needed.

I asked for this a couple of years ago.

If there was a forum platform that did this out of the box then I'd switch platforms. It'd be such a massive boon. I've also tried looking for programmers to do this, but no joy there.

I asked for this a couple of years ago.

If there was a forum platform that did this out of the box then I'd switch platforms. It'd be such a massive boon. I've also tried looking for programmers to do this, but no joy there.

There is one, but unfortunately that box isn't actually available >_< . Sounds like you're describing a feature of Stardock's forums - every Stardock forum has the same member base, and certain forums can be displayed on one of more of their installations. For example, forums.wincustomize.com and forums.stardock.com both display the WindowBlinds forum, and share the same posts and threads, etc. You still have to manually log into each, but they use the same credentials.

I believe this could be something that could POSSIBLY be on the drawing board for IPB. I could be completely wrong but, maybe they are even just discussing it and seeing how other people made it work, etc. .

Either way I hope they do look into maybe trying to find a way to make it work because I'd definitely buy more licenses.

Archived