maybe you could give us a change log?

Tremault

hi, so I logged into admin panel today and you told me 3.3.1 is available. do you mind telling us what you've changed?
I don't like having my time wasted.
I want to know what has changed so I know whether it is worth the hours of uploading and upgrading.
I would have thought a change log is pretty standard practice but i can't seem to locate one on your links.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From tracker below is the list of bugs which are fixed in 3.3.1.

http://community.inv...-24-ipboard-3x/

The Tracker only officially covers bugs, not new features or such. I agree that IPS should consider releasing a change log for each upgrade, perhaps in the announcement itself. Even just copying & pasting the Tracker bugs fixed, as above, and linking to blog entries or whatnot covering the new features mentioned, would suffice.

• 4 weeks later...

Ah ok, that's good to know - as a newbie I wasn't sure how things work.

As someone mentioned earlier, it might be an idea (in the forum announcement topic at least) to mention the major bug fixes? I went to Tracker, but couldn't really work out how to get that view.

You can generate a Fixed Issues list from the Tracker, here's what was fixed in 3.3.2:

http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=tracker&module=projects&section=projects&do=fixedlist&project_id=24&fixed_in=416

As for skin changes, you can always use the Template Merge Center to find changes and apply them to your skins:

http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/documentation/index.html/_/documentation/administrator-control-panel/look-and-feel/look-feel-template-merge-center-r439

Is there a reason IPB doesn't provide a list of style changes and an easy to find list of the bugs they squashed? Seems odd for a company that is otherwise good at communication :smile:

As a general rule, most users don't care to see a giant list of bug fixes. The ability, however, to generate this yourself is available in the Tracker for those who are interested (see Michael's reply). :)

I very much vote for IPS were provide changelogs of their newly announced products, I think they are useful to most of us. Once provided by the IPS team, it would save time to hundreds or thousands of admins who have to do the same in the Tracker.

I very much vote for IPS were provide changelogs of their newly announced products, I think they are useful to most of us. Once provided by the IPS team, it would save time to hundreds or thousands of admins who have to do the same in the Tracker.

Don't count me in with the "hundreds of thousands." If it's a maintenance release, it's for me.

Each time there is a new version of any application, for me as an admin it is important to know the list of changes or bugs fixed for me to be able to understand what the new version brings about and to decide how urgent the upgrade is and whether we should run it immediately or say within a week. I don't usually find practical to be following the Tracker regularly to become familiar with bugs found by other admins and that's why such a list (of bug fixes when talking about a maintenance release) is a great summary for me to learn issues I might not even be aware of (let's say some hard coded text which I have overlooked and would still keep overlooking it without reading the list of bug fixes).

At present each time there are maintenance releases I have to go to the Tracker and run the filter query to learn what are the fixes or to be lucky when some good soul makes the same and posts it to the forum for others (like the 2nd post of this thread). I think the list of changes or fixes or a link to such a list would be the little thing which would make it easier for 'many' of us :smile:

I agree with a lot of what svit wrote above. Coming from a vBulletin background, it was very useful to see in the announcement (rather than making customers run a tracker query) to see what bugs were updated and what files were changed. Sometimes, when absolutely forced, you have to edit a core .php file and need to know if your changes are about to be overwritten.

Why not just include a list (or even a link to the query) that shows you what has changed in the maintenance release? It seems to be quite a popular idea and doesn't take much time - do it once and everyone benefits - or don't do it and everyone has to. If you get what I mean :)

a simple improvement would be to set the file dates of each release via svn or whatever to the date the actual code was last modified

drupal did this and so when upgrading you could just look at each directory and compare the file dates to see which files needed replacing

So there's a new privacy policy section and apparently there's also an RSS feed for the report center now? Or did I just not notice this before?

Privacy policy is new. The report center RSS feed has been there since 3.0 (it is unique to each moderator with access to the report center).

It strikes me that it would be worth IPS putting a link to a thread (or pre-done tracker search) which lists the changes and additions in each release, even when they are maintenance releases. It's true that maybe only 'power users' are interested in this and yes it's true that someone can eventually work out the changes (by the tracker and file comparisons) - but if IPS did this once at the announcement then it would save time and seem like a 'nice' thing to do :)

Huh...so where is the setting for that? Because I swear it wasn't there before for me. I know because I had all those troubles with the RSS feeds in IP.Content before..

There's no setting. An RSS feed is generated for moderators who can manage reports automatically.

Archived