Lavo

Sign in through Steam - IPB3

168 posts in this topic

Sign in through Steam - IPB3

This plugin will allow users to sign into your forum through the steam open id authentication system. Existing users can link their steam accounts in the members control panel.

You can find the IPB4 version here.

Donations are appreciated if you would like to fuel my Dr Pepper addiction click here.

This project is open source, you can find the GitHub repository here.

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    04/10/2012
  • Category
  • Discussion URL
  • Support Info
    <p>If you have an issue or feature request please post it at the repository at https://github.com/Lavoaster/IP.Board-Steam-Authentication-Method/issues</p>
  • Supported Versions
    IP.Blog 2.4.x
AlexJ and Freeborne like this

When people will sign in with steam, an account will be created in local DB as facebook or twitter login? how it works?

When people will sign in with steam, an account will be created in local DB as facebook or twitter login? how it works?

An account will be created in the local db but will not have any connection to Facebook or twitter until a user links them in their usercp after signing up. It stores their steamid in their user row

I just installed this, but how can users add steam to their existing account ?

I thought i would be in user CP under Manage FaceBook and Manage Twitter.

I just installed this, but how can users add steam to their existing account ?

I thought i would be in user CP under Manage FaceBook and Manage Twitter.

Yes i only realized that after I submitted it to the marketplace, it will be in a new version i plan to release today.
MarcusH and ADKGamers like this

This was one thing that was stopping me from using IP.Board for a new project myself and a friend of mine.

Now I will be able to use this :D Thank you so much, you deserve a huge cookie :D

Off note: For those that are interested we are making a Roleplay Gamemode for Garry's Mod, its not PERP, or anything of the likes, its custom made by myself and my friend.

Lavoaster,

Thanks so much for this! I would love to work with you on integrating a 'steam status' profile field I have with the database this app provides. Currently the caching methods i have are not updating frequently enough.

Hit me up if you are interested :)

MarcusH likes this

Works :smile:

Would have preferred it called "Manage Steam Account" or something, so it's the same as "Manage Facebook" and "Manage Twitter". There also doesn't seem to be a way to unlink the account, but otherwise it's pretty great to finally see this come to IP.Board. I've waited about two years for this.

AlexJ likes this

Q: Users that registered/login on my forums using steam login can still login using their email ID/pass even after I will remove steam login option?

Works :smile:

Would have preferred it called "Manage Steam Account" or something, so it's the same as "Manage Facebook" and "Manage Twitter". There also doesn't seem to be a way to unlink the account, but otherwise it's pretty great to finally see this come to IP.Board. I've waited about two years for this.

Yeah i put it as Link steam account but in reality that's only there until more options that could be put inside there, are.

Q: Users that registered/login on my forums using steam login can still login using their email ID/pass even after I will remove steam login option?

Yes you should be able to remove it without causing any problems to existing users, new users who signed up through steam will need to issue a password reset as their password fields will be blank

Thanks, will be suitable for ipb 3.2.3?

I cannot guarantee it, but i see no reason why it shouldn't work. If not I'll work with you to make it compatible

Erm, I have a question...I honestly don't think people are going to login using their Steam Login Details because of the previous amount of Steam Account phishing sites...it looks too suspicious in my opinion. :o

Erm, I have a question...I honestly don't think people are going to login using their Steam Login Details because of the previous amount of Steam Account phishing sites...it looks too suspicious in my opinion. :o

The steam API provides next to no information, nothing that cant be seen in your XML's.

For example lavoastar's steam profile is here: http://steamcommunit...xml=1&l=english

This is why it has taken so long for us to get a solution to login because steam does not give enough information for even an IP.Board account.

So i can say its pretty secure, your even logging into steam with a correctly encrypted page

When you login you can clearly see that you are on steam's website(As verified by the SSL connection), and it clearly states that the only thing passed to the site is your steam id and that the site does not get your username or password.

Thanks for making this mod. :) Just a few suggestions for any future versions planned, based on what I've tried of it so far:
- Move the UCP button to just below the 'Manage Facebook' and 'Manage Twitter' buttons, instead of the very bottom of the list.
- Change the label of the UCP button to 'Manage Steam' (it's more consistent, and would be a better label if more options are added in the future).
- Keep the log in buttons more consistent with IPS, so, for example, use 'Use Steam' text instead of the Steam image button where IPS uses 'Use Facebook' or 'Use Twitter' text, etc.
- Fix some of the typos, especially for the front-end (e.g. 'steam' -> 'Steam'; 'though' -> 'through'; 'Login' -> 'Log in'; 'a steam account, to link it' -> 'a Steam account. To link it', etc.).

Lavo likes this

<p>

<br />

I am having trouble installing this hook. Can someone help?<br />

<br />
<br />
</p>

What problem are you having?