[Suggesttion] Follow a member (like Twitter)

tonami

I love Friends function of IPB, and I have a feeling that it's not really a "friendship", someone add you like friend and you just become friends! My first question is there anyway to require an approval when someone add friend as default function?

I think a function like Follow a member (become a Fan, a follower...) will make IPB much more social, so members can follow any update of people they follow. Also they can see who follow them. And a member when he add someone as friend, if not accepted, he still can follow him/her to see updates.

What do you think about this function?

I thought there was mod for this (thought I saw it for 3.14 ,maybe?) some time back but cannot find now.
was it maybe named social groups or something?
iirc it expanded on what IP has and maybe would meet the needs.
just cannot find it now.

FYI yes, there is an option to require approval before users are friends. Additionally IP.Content can use meber feed blocks that only display the information of user's friends. So these kinds of things are viable though IP.Content in the event that these features aren't added to IPB.

This could be done like a new My Friends Updates button.

Get>my followed friends>display friends status updates, recent posts/topics, etc.

All that needs to be done is pull the rights codes and put them in the right output area based in if you "follow" them.

Here is an option for viewing your friends' status updates. Too bad it doesn't include all of your friends' new content from all IPB apps. But, for those who want a quick way to link to all your friends' status updates, use the following link:

http://YOURSITEURL/statuses/friends/

Replace YOURSITEURL with the url to the root of your IPB install.

I still believe that we should be giving users what matters most to them on a personal level. But, I've repeated all the reasons why many times around here (and other forums)...so...

Not sure if my answer is what you are looking for but I offer this:
on our "my member" page of ipc, a member can view a number of blocks tailored as a kind of personal dashboard for our community - oh I'm still on 3.14 and using ipc 2.12

one of the blocks we have is "My Friends Status Updates" [edit: forgot to add that in the title of the block, I have added a few spaces and then added a link to View All that takes you to My Friends Updates in the Member section]

Feed Block
- Members
- Block details: up to you
- Content: status updates
- Filter:

• selected groups
  • include replies yes
  • poster: friends
  • exclude locked: no
  • latest status only: no

- sorting options:
  • post date
  • order direction: desc
  • offset: 0
  • limit: 6

- caching: blank

Not sure if my answer is what you are looking for but I offer this:

on our "my member" page of ipc, a member can view a number of blocks tailored as a kind of personal dashboard for our community - oh I'm still on 3.14 and using ipc 2.12

one of the blocks we have is "My Friends Status Updates" [edit: forgot to add that in the title of the block, I have added a few spaces and then added a link to View All that takes you to My Friends Updates in the Member section]

Feed Block

- Members

- Block details: up to you

- Content: status updates

- Filter:

• selected groups
  • include replies yes
  • poster: friends
  • exclude locked: no
  • latest status only: no

- sorting options:

• post date