Change "kick" message so member(s) see who actioned it

TrekkiemonsterUK

Hi,

I have a suggestion for the IP.chat Devs which an IPS Tech (Hi Jason H.!) has suggested I post as he agreed it would be useful.

My suggestion is that the "You have been kicked from the chat room" system message is changed so that the member(s) can see WHO actioned the kick-out.

At the moment, we have an a small issue on my board where member's are being randomly "kicked" for no known reason. It's no doubt just connection issues, but with the message to the removed member and the chat room just being "You/<Member Name> has been kicked from the chat room" it can cause conflict between the member base and the admins.

This weekend we had such an instance where a member's connection dropped with the generic "kicked" message. A heated discussion then followed about why the admins had kicked the person out and which one had done it. We tried to explain the situation with random disconnections but I get the feeling the members do not believe us, and I'm sure we can all appreciate how quickly conspiracy theories can soon explode on forum communities.

Unfortunately, I didn't realise at the time that the kick message did not show who the kicking admin was (which shows how rarely I have to kick anyone out - I've had to do it with IP.chat, and we've been using it well over 6 months now!) and so I jumped at the chance to actively kick someone when a member offered to be kicked out so people could see the difference in the kick message from an admin and one where the connection has just dropped. Of course the messages were identical, so I didn't help things by doing that sadly. lol :whistle: :hmm:

Another suggestion is maybe to change the disconnection system message grammar so that it says "Your connection to the chat room has dropped" or something, so that it's less confrontational that "You have been kicked out of the chat room".

Anyways, that's my couple of suggestions for IP.chat. I'm sure it would be a very useful addition for a lot of people - as well as me, of course. :D

Thanks for reading this folks. Have a great week! :D

Jason D.

• 1 year later...

I know this topic is over a year old but, can a forum admin manually go into a config or php file and change the "You have been kicked" message to something less "confrontational?" :smile:

Yes, it is just a language string which can be changed in the language manager in the ACP.

Just made an attempt Brandon

attachicon.gifc1.jpg

and received the following error message:

attachicon.gifc2.jpg

Is there a way to unlock the value field to place alternate text into it? Would it be permissions needing CHMOD?

Thanks again.

This is the Feedback section, so please post that question in an appropriate support area of the forum, or file a ticket to support and they'll be glad to provide an answer.

While I see the point, I have an easier solution to this problem.

When you log into your admin control panel, if you're inactive for a certain period of time, the system automatically logs you out. Why not employ that same 'account check' to all IPS products? What I mean is that when a user logs into his or her forum account, that the IPS community suit conduct that same check, that if you're inactive inactive in IPB and/or Chat, that the system automatically logs you out (or in the case of the Chat program, that yoou're automatically logged out of the chat program). Not only does this solve the problem of disconnects but also acts as an 'account protection' service for all member, not just the admin (when they are logged into their ACP).

While I see the point, I have an easier solution to this problem.

When you log into your admin control panel, if you're inactive for a certain period of time, the system automatically logs you out. Why not employ that same 'account check' to all IPS products? What I mean is that when a user logs into his or her forum account, that the IPS community suit conduct that same check, that if you're inactive inactive in IPB and/or Chat, that the system automatically logs you out (or in the case of the Chat program, that yoou're automatically logged out of the chat program). Not only does this solve the problem of disconnects but also acts as an 'account protection' service for all member, not just the admin (when they are logged into their ACP).

This is, in effect, what Chat does already. Because Chat is communicating with a third party server though (which doesn't have access to your community database directly), it's a little more involved.

Brandon, I only made the suggestion because someone else commented how members who get disconnected from their ISP would be marked as 'kicked'. If the feature already exists that IPS uses a 'timeout' process to automatically log a user oout, then I guess you have answered what this topic originally asked for. :thumbsup:

Archived