3.3.1 release schedule? How is initial feedback looking?

Fast Lane!

Like I am sure many large forum folks I am waiting for the first rev after this update to upgrade myself. So the question is, how is the initial feedback and trouble ticket situation looking in the tracker? Will the first minor rev be weeks (I can wait; just curious)?

I upgraded a friends site to 3.3 that I post on regularly. His members haven't noticed any bugs. We on the other hand have noticed quite a few, but it looks like over time they've all been fixed in the tracker. Still though I'm glad I did his site first before I did mine. I'm waiting for 3.3.1 now.

I upgraded a friends site to 3.3 that I post on regularly. His members haven't noticed any bugs. We on the other hand have noticed quite a few, but it looks like over time they've all been fixed in the tracker. Still though I'm glad I did his site first before I did mine. I'm waiting for 3.3.1 now.

I guess that's my immediate concern. It's good that many bugs are being found and closed (to be fixed in 3.3.1). It would be interesting to see a plot of bugs reported (and confirmed) by release number. I think the plot would give a good idea when things are stable. Right now there are about 140 bugs reported by members in the tracker for 3.3.0... a bit high for me to jump quite yet.

Where did you get 75 from?

There are 57 bugs marked fixed in 3.3.1 (as of right this minute) and approximately 35 open for investigation (and not marked as minimal impact or scheduled to be fixed in a later major release).

This has been a very stable release, all things considered. 3.3.1, nevertheless, is being actively developed and it won't be too long before it's out, I'm sure. I can't give an estimate I'm afraid.

It is a pretty great build this 3.3.0 testing is never going to catch every single corner case or forum setup, but it will minimize the effects. I have had some minor issues, but nothing catastrophic as most 99% of these were caused by 3rd party and did not effect any functionality of base IPB or IP.C.

Great Job IPB and to the Dedicated QA team

Right now there are about 140 bugs reported by members in the tracker for 3.3.0... a bit high for me to jump quite yet.

Actually about 75 are marked as confirmed and/or fixed and rolled into 3.3.1. That is pretty high still.

You two must be new to the world of software development. Even if you were to take 140 and add 75 to it to get 215, that's not too bad for an initial release of a new version of a product. Anytime several new features are introduced along with performance tweaks and other bug fixes, a number of new bugs are bound to pop up. So with there being under 100 (confirmed/fixed) is actually really good.

So in all actuality, this is one of the most stable 'main' releases there has been. With .1 then .2 and maybe even a .3, the number of bugs should drop drastically. The reason I said "maybe" a .3 is that with as good as it appears to be (so few bugs), I wouldn't be surprised if 3.3.2 was the end of the line for the 3.3 series. The developers did an outstanding job and we should give credit to them for such an accomplishment.

if you still think 215 is a high number, then go check out one of the veryBad competitors. I've heard how their 4.x series had well over 1,000 bugs when it was first released (in final status) and that's with 4.x really being 3.x, just repackaged. They actually took a stable product and created a massive number of bugs into it, instead of a complete rewrite, which then would have made 1,000+ bugs a bit more understandable for a 'final' release.

Has something changed on Tracker? Do you now have to be an active client to view Tracker issue status? I can no longer see if an issue is Fixed/WAI or whatever.

I have two accounts, a client account without renewed support and an additional contact account and I don't see the statuses on either.

Yeah, i jumped when i saw 3.3.1 running on this forum, but the client area shows only 3.3.0. Maybe it'll be available for download before the weekend?

I'd like to complete the upgrade before Wrestlemania 28 on Sunday. :sheep:

Yeah, i jumped when i saw 3.3.1 running on this forum, but the client area shows only 3.3.0. Maybe it'll be available for download before the weekend?

If it's not in the client area by now, then it's doubtful that it'll be released before the weekend. I think a couple of Friday releases resulted in a number of problems, since any non-critical issues that are discovered are usually put off until the weekend is over (developers need time off you know). At least with a release on Mon-Thu, if there's an urgent (but not critical) issue discovered, there's at least a day before the weekend for it to be noticed and addressed.

Not saying that it's not possible to happen, just I believe very unlikely.

Anytime. :)

well......fix that LOL :D :D

NO! It's not broke, don't fix it.

I'd rather IPS not release on a Friday unless there are going to be devs available over the weekend to address any important issues that crop up. Other than that, hold off until the next week.

The support forums are always open though. Yay community.

True but if it's something buried super deep within the code in order to fix an issue, it's better to let the devs supply a fix rather than doing it yourself or trusting someone else's fix.

NO! It's not broke, don't fix it.

I'd rather IPS not release on a Friday unless there are going to be devs available over the weekend to address any important issues that crop up. Other than that, hold off until the next week.

so its not broke but no friday releases cause no support on weekends...sounds broke to me.
my comment was a joke about the less support on weekends.

meh... release it anyways just to mess with people. nobody FORCES them to update :)

Archived