Forum For Security Updates?

Pereira

The 1 topic there is every year? Wouldn't be needed.

I agree. Not required.

What I would like is an email every time a security patch is available. Unless your scour the VNC list carefully it's easy to miss security patch announcements.

3DKiwi

Then, i would say a single topic we all can watch providing updates seems the cleanest solution for what a forum would be overkill for.

There's already a forum dedicated for IPS news, products and security updates. It's called:

News and Information

. Link provided. :laugh:

*facepalm*

I know. I'm asking for a separate forum for security updates.

Then, i would say a single topic we all can watch providing updates seems the cleanest solution for what a forum would be overkill for.

This!

• Management

If we have so many security updates that we need a special forum for them, we have larger issues at hand. :laugh:

In reality, security updates are rare. Depending on the severity of the security issue, we will post announcements or post a notice in the admin cp. In most circumstances, this should be more than sufficient.

Thank you for the suggestion though.

The OP seems to be confused. Very rarely are security updates issued. When they do, they're posted in the News and Information forum. Also, there's no need to even check the forums here, simply log into your admin control panel on your forums and if there's an update, then it will be listed there. It simply reminds you that there's a new update.

IPS isn't going to create a forum specifically for forum security updates. It's been like this since I paid for my first license and that was in 2005. I think new customers/clients want things too easy, or too specific. Since there's already a forum, just check the N&I forum, like the rest of us do. Also, yoou can always log into yoour client center at IPS to keep updated on security updates.

I log into my ACP on a daily basis and if there's a new patch, the default homepage of the ACP tells me that a new update is available. It just sounds like someone is wanting a forum for specific IPS apps. I think it just makes things too cluttered if we have a forum that lists IPB updates, another one for Blog Updates, another one for IP.Content, another one for gallery and so on ...

I think the current forum works fine for everyone and that should not change. Don't fix it if it's not broken.

If we have so many security updates that we need a special forum for them, we have larger issues at hand. :laugh:

In reality, security updates are rare. Depending on the severity of the security issue, we will post announcements or post a notice in the admin cp. In most circumstances, this should be more than sufficient.

Thank you for the suggestion though.

There was two within the past month. :wink:

I'm just saying it doesn't help when you have two security updates like that scattered around in two different topics. At least post them in the one topic. :thumbsup:

The OP seems to be confused. Very rarely are security updates issued. When they do, they're posted in the News and Information forum. Also, there's no need to even check the forums here, simply log into your admin control panel on your forums and if there's an update, then it will be listed there. It simply reminds you that there's a new update.

I log into my ACP on a daily basis and if there's a new patch, the default homepage of the ACP tells me that a new update is available. It just sounds like someone is wanting a forum for specific IPS apps. I think it just makes things too cluttered if we have a forum that lists IPB updates, another one for Blog Updates, another one for IP.Content, another one for gallery and so on ...

I think the current forum works fine for everyone and that should not change. Don't fix it if it's not broken.

Why the need for a 200 word essay?

I'm asking for the security updates to be consolidated into one area, what's wrong with that? :huh:

I'm asking for the security updates to be consolidated into one area, what's wrong with that? :huh:

Because as everyone has been saying, there isn't enough. If there is a big security flaw that has a patch, you know about it when going to the ACP. If there was a forum full of security notices and fixes it would give some sort of impression that security is terrible... when it isn't.

Because as everyone has been saying, there isn't enough. If there is a big security flaw that has a patch, you know about it when going to the ACP. If there was a forum full of security notices and fixes it would give some sort of impression that security is terrible... when it isn't.

So you're against the idea of the keeping them in one topic? :huh:

:wacko:

Even one topic would make it seem like it's a regular occurrence.

If security updates were kept in their release topics, then it wouldn't. For example security updates for 3.3 should be kept in it's release topic. I don't see what's so objectionable about that.

If security updates were kept in their release topics, then it wouldn't. For example security updates for 3.3 should be kept in it's release topic. I don't see what's so objectionable about that.

Not everyone will notice. By creating a new topic for it, a new entry is inserted into the blog feed on everybody's ACP.

To be honest, I don't see the point in continuing this. It's not something of major concern and just something which was annoying at the time. I still don't see why it's hard to keep one release topic updated with relevant updates regarding that release.

Feel free to close this topic at any time.

Archived