bring the TAB back

Jai Haze

please if there is a way to bring the TAB back in. When you post a reply or a topic in the text box and hit tab it does nothing. Please make it so it goes to post topic or reply or something, I loved this feature however I do love the new box to type in, but the TAB outweighs it.

• Management

The problem is that you then lose the ability to TAB text in the text editor.

If you really want to tab out, then:

/public/js/3rd_party/ckeditor/ips_config.js

Comment out

config.tabSpaces = 4;

Comment out

config.tabSpaces = 4;

I cant actually find that line and still tabbing doesn't work.

Comment out

config.tabSpaces = 4;

We never had that option before, why was it added now? Tabbing between locations on a web page is standard accessibility functionality, and should be restored.

We never had that option before, why was it added now? Tabbing between locations on a web page is standard accessibility functionality, and should be restored.

Additionally shift tab is the generally accepted input to do a tab inside a textarea afaik.

That's an easy one.. if you are typing in anything in ckeditor that requires a tab the old approach tabbed out of the editor. Our heavy programmer-laden forum is chock full of people writing code blocks that necessitate the tab key. For an editor, it should absolutely be there.

That's an easy one.. if you are typing in anything in ckeditor that requires a tab the old approach tabbed out of the editor. Our heavy programmer-laden forum is chock full of people writing code blocks that necessitate the tab key. For an editor, it should absolutely be there.

They should've put it in the skin editor as well then if they were using that logic.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, we don't even have that ability.

This sentence is tabbed.

Every word here has a tab after it.

Quote my post.

That's because in HTML, whitespace is collapsed to a single space. If you do it in a code tag (which generates <pre>, or preformatted text blocks) then the browser won't collapse it, and you'll see the tabs.

Speaking as a programmer myself, I would rather it went back to the old way. I don't write code in this editor, I paste code from other sources here that already have tabs in them. Even if your statement meant to imply that all programmers like the tab key doing the opposite of what browsers design it to do, not everyone who uses IP.Board is a programmer. I'd hate to see IPS get into any issues over the accessibility problems this change causes.

I find myself having to use the old editor most of the time because frankly I think a lot of the things like this tab functionality regression to be a pain with this new editor. It's just a shame that switching back to the old editor makes us lose all of the buttons. I'd at least like to be able to insert bbcode as actual bbcode tags by clicking a button rather than have to type them out all of the time, but I have to type them, because the CKEditor makes things too cumbersome.

Speaking as a programmer myself, I would rather it went back to the old way. I don't write code in this editor, I paste code from other sources here that already have tabs in them. Even if your statement meant to imply that all programmers like the tab key doing the opposite of what browsers design it to do, not everyone who uses IP.Board is a programmer. I'd hate to see IPS get into any issues over the accessibility problems this change causes.

I find myself having to use the old editor most of the time because frankly I think a lot of the things like this tab functionality regression to be a pain with this new editor. It's just a shame that switching back to the old editor makes us lose all of the buttons. I'd at least like to be able to insert bbcode as actual bbcode tags by clicking a button rather than have to type them out all of the time, but I have to type them, because the CKEditor makes things too cumbersome.

^^Signed, sealed, agreed.... this.... both points... i hit tab, i darn well expect to be moved to the next tabindex.... not have this silly editor make 4 spaces for me.... and... jeez louise... can we have functional STE again this year?
I've been stuck with RTE... simply because i utterly refuse to type out the bbcodes when i type code all day every day ANYWAY....
It is supremely evil, and mangles code... and don't dare try to swap mid-edit... :rofl:

Archived