IP.Tracker, please IPS...

Michael

It has now been almost 7 months since the last beta update of IP.Tracker. I can understand being busy, but this has really gone on way too long without there being an update to this app.

Please, either devote some time to continuing work on this app, or turn it over to someone who will make time for it. It's too valuable of a tool to sit there for this long without having its issues addressed.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not asking to take it over personally, just that it get a little bit of TLC.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes and what's worse is that 'we' don't seem to have much impact on things we need. I mainly want to stick with it because it is built-in after trying a lot of others that is the killer integration.

Please Tracker is important, unlike Michael I believe that IPS should continue with it but actually develop it, I would even go so far as saying make it a paid app if necessary.

My thoughts.... (as a note, where the shucks is Alex??)...
Either Push out a Gold Tracker Release fixing the bugs/integrating it properly(... My issues Media? you don't want to know how many times I have to manually link my own reported bugs :logik: ) with, or directly after 3.3.0.... or just pass the application to someone able, willing, and with time to give it the proper love and integration it needs.

They should use it as a marketing scheme like other things, not make people pay for it (like IP.Chat).

vB has tracker so not developing it hurts their business anyway, because a lot of people like me need a tracker system in our forum.

We use tracker on a daily basis as you know, and are aware of some of the issues you are probably talking about. Tracker was actually being discussed today by many of the staff - oddly coincidental you bring up this topic at the same time lol!

It is on our radar. As Rhett pointed out, we do not manage it in house, but we want it to get some attention in the near future as well.

No, again that is not a good idea.

Tracker should of been stable in 3.2, that's why people are complaining so much. 3.3 shouldn't of even be started on until all the other things that are worked on work effectively. That's my two cents.

No, again that is not a good idea.

Tracker should of been stable in 3.2, that's why people are complaining so much. 3.3 shouldn't of even be started on until all the other things that are worked on work effectively. That's my two cents.

I think you might have missed Brandon's post... Tracker is not developed in house, therefor the team working on official IPS apps do not develop the Tracker app. I hope this helps for clarification.

I think you might have missed Brandon's post... Tracker is not developed in house, therefor the team working on official IPS apps do not develop the Tracker app. I hope this helps for clarification.

Is there a problem if a third party were to take it over then?

My suggestion is to take Michael's advise then, find someone else to help with it if it is a volunteer project. The problem is it is a very important project to me and sure many others feel the same way about it. It should work effectively with each milestone of IP.Board, as I said above it even hurts competition when your software lacks specific effectiveness compared to others.

My suggestion is to take Michael's advise then, find someone else to help with it if it is a volunteer project. The problem is it is a very important project to me and sure many others feel the same way about it. It should work effectively with each milestone of IP.Board, as I said above it even hurts competition when your software lacks specific effectiveness compared to others.

I don't think any of our primary competitors offer a tracker solution. :unsure:

Ding... If it is already not in-house, and updates cannot be kept up with... then what precisely is the difference(looking back at Portal, Subscriptions... et tal)?

Offering a "solution" is not directly tantamount offering a fully functional integrated product.... which is what folks expect from the IPS Suite.

Ding... If it is already not in-house, and updates cannot be kept up with... then what precisely is the difference(looking back at Portal, Subscriptions... et tal)?

Offering a "solution" is not directly tantamount offering a fully functional integrated product.... which is what folks expect from the IPS Suite.

I always feel integration is key, things like tracker should already be provided in IP.Board. Same thing for referrals and basic necessities that free forum software have.

Perhaps not the way it is designed where it is an extra tab. I can give you several examples of several forum software that do this. I just don't want to get in trouble for linking sites. Obviously you guys do it the best, but I'm just expressing that slacking just because you can is like saying: why go beyond our competitors and make ourselves that much better?

Not trying to start a rant here, waiting on it should be fine and dandy.

>.< Actually really really would like to see something... anything in defense/response/updates from him... why do you think we are all so anxious/distressed about this App?

His response is likely to be far less glamorous or insightful than you are expecting, I suspect. Alex does a lot of work for us already, and Tracker is something he maintains in his spare time outside of the work he does for us. I believe he was recently working through a lot of school work and exams, and just hadn't had much time to work on Tracker.

I know this doesn't help any, but I don't think a response or excuse is really what anyone wants to hear. I don't want to promise or say anything that we can't or don't actually deliver on, so that is why you're not getting more information in this thread yet. Once we have determined internally the best way forward, I'm positive one of us will let you guys know our plans.

I always feel integration is key, things like tracker should already be provided in IP.Board. Same thing for referrals and basic necessities that free forum software have.

Perhaps not the way it is designed where it is an extra tab. I can give you several examples of several forum software that do this. I just don't want to get in trouble for linking sites. Obviously you guys do it the best, but I'm just expressing that slacking just because you can is like saying: why go beyond our competitors and make ourselves that much better?

Not trying to start a rant here, waiting on it should be fine and dandy.

I am positive our competitors have bug tracking software installed - most software development companies do. What I meant was, I don't think our primary competitors offer an off-the-shelf for-sale or freeware issue tracker application internally.

Does anyone know if it works in 3.3? Just wondering.

We use it here, and we are running 3.3.

At the end of this all, we have taken your comments into account and are discussing the best way forward. Once we have decided what that path is, we will let you know.

• Management

I think we have a lot of confusion and differing information here. I hope I can clarify for everyone...

IP.Tracker is indeed an IPS product. It is one of our "extras" that come along with a license. The concept of "in house" is not really being accurately applied here but that is irrelevant to most everyone I am sure.

Alex, who is a member of our staff, is the core developer of this project. He has many duties here at IPS so I would rather not have anyone blaming him personally. I often have him doing many things in addition to IP.Tracker of course and we have not been making IP.Tracker a high priority while we focus on IP.Board 3.3's development. IP.Tracker, along with our other apps, we completely agree are due for an update very soon after IP.Board 3.3 (don't forget we use all our own stuff so we know too). We simply planned our development schedule around IP.Board 3.3 as that is the "core" that our apps run under. As I am sure you will agree: the better the core the better the app! :smile:

We will certainly evaluate IP.Tracker in the very near future and let everyone know what our plans for it will be. The same is true for our other applications. IP.Board 3.3 is coming out very, very soon so expect a whole load of updates soon after.

Archived