Marcher Technologies

RSS Management Application

268 posts in this topic

RSS Management Application

This application is NOT compatible with IPS4. the IPS4 version is available here:

This Is A Fully-Featured RSS Management Application offering both Complete RSS Front-end Management And Enhanced Import Functionality.
Upon Installation, This Application will replace the RSS menu at the footer of the Board with a Link to this Applications Default Landing, which Is a Clean Listing with HoverCard functionality for the Default RSS Output Cache.
ATOM Feed Compatibility:
This Application Directly extends classRss via hook, allowing *stock* RSS Imports throughout IPB to parse ATOM Feeds!
RSS Groups:
Control Who May See Feeds In This Application At a Granular Level Via Permissions Masks By Feed "Group".
Provide a Helpful Title and Fully Parsed(BBCode/HTML) Description For Your Users For Each Feed "Group".
Feed Groups Collapse and Expand with Similar Functionality to the Board Index Categories and are saved via cookie for the viewers preference.
Disable or Enable Individual Feeds From Being Shown In The Frontend, Add Custom RSS Feed URLs to be Shown, and Edit The Title Shown For Each Feed.
Conversion Utility:
Convert Local Application Feeds From The Output Cache For use with "Groups" As Enhanced RSS Management Feeds.
Mass-Conversion, check-and-go, with the ability change titles and URLs after within the converted feeds.
Ajaxed Feed Item Listings:
Includes HoverCard Feed Item Preview Functionality, bringing a Cleaner, more modern look and function To Your RSS Feed Display, Both Frontend And Back.
In-Site viewing Experience:
While still available with a further click, the Viewing of a feed is no longer directly controlled by browser experience. Show Feed Results in the Skin of your Forums, including the Mobile skin.
Mobile Skin Support:
This Application Has Been Fully Templated For Mobile Skin Use, to allow a Clean And Useful Listing for Mobile Users.
Import Capabilities:
Includes the ability to Import RSS Feed items To A Topic as posts, Defining a Picture For The Topic Opening Post, as well as Prefixing each Post With the Source Item Title, and Pinning The Topic.
Owners Of IP.Content Will Find an Additional Area Open to their use, Importing RSS Feed Items To Content Database Records, and defining the Category, a Single-file Upload Field and Picture to be used for the Field Value URL for Each Imported Feed item per Feed.
Additionally, Full Control of the values For imported "records" Fields are Fully supported including dynamic replacement of the Item url, Database, and category(if used) information.
An XML Feed Block Is Available to allow full data retrieval for IP.Content Owners from ATOM, RSS, and Event List XML Feeds.
Owners of Michael McCunes Tutorials Application Will Find a section Devoted to Importing RSS Feed items As Tutorials, with definable tags, picture prefix, and Title Prefix/truncation Options.
Resource Friendly:
Uses Separate Caching For Both Import, and Frontend Display, and ONLY Active Feeds are Validated or stored in this cache store.
All HoverCards are cached by URL for 30 minutes at a time, to reduce the overhead of usage further, the same URL requested within this period will be served a cached feed result.
View a Customized Landing
View a Feed "View"
View ATOM
View a Topic Import
View an Articles Import

AndyF, NenaDice and BomAleold like this

Many thanks for such a great and needed module! We have installed it on our http://www.cechoslovaci.com/rss immediately.

The module covers all our needs and we are very happy about it I am just coming with some ideas that came to my mind after installation:

1. the top application tabs (such as Gallery, Forums) are very precious to us as they represent the most often clicked navigation buttons. For our needs we cannot allocate the same position to rss module as it will be only a minority of members who would be using the rss module. For this reason I think it would be better to keep the original rss icon position as it was and only have it linked to this module.
2. When importing to a rss group 100 existing channels I had to do it one by one, it would be practical to have a check box next to each of them so that I could be able to select more at the same time and assign them to a group in the next step.
3. When sorting 100 channels by alphabet by drag and drop it would be more practical to have some automatic sorting function available
4. The table cell frame thickness looks inconsistent when having only one rss channel in the group (as there is no adjacent table cell which would make the cell frame thicker)
5. I am thinking of whether 4 columns (instead of 3) of the table would enable us to have the page looking shorter when having200 channels, or maybe the font to be smaller..

These are just ideas, and comments, thanks again for such a useful module!

I need RSS showing Most Viewed topics during the last 10 days in descending order for any forum, and also with the name of the creator. Can this application do that?

I need RSS showing Most Viewed topics during the last 10 days in descending order for any forum, and also with the name of the creator. Can this application do that?

Yes.
Forums Has Export Functionality... Anytime you see the icon used in This Applications Landing In another Application(RSS/RDF feed, ANY Public(no .htaccess access for application front-end, with reason), NOT limited to IPB in any way) You Can Copy the link and put it into this Applications front-end.
so...
post-201612-0-66747000-1331225768_thumb.
Then Convert It :rofl:
ACP Import's IN to the local database tables Have Full .htaccess capabilities.
I put 100 just to float it up, but the Ajax hoverCard previews are hard-coded to limit at 10 to save resources(and not overload the user :P ). Always The Freshest Content from the RSS Feed in those.

Yes.

Forums Has Export Functionality... Anytime you see the icon used in This Applications Landing In another Application(RSS/RDF feed, ANY Public(no .htaccess access for application front-end, with reason), NOT limited to IPB in any way) You Can Copy the link and put it into this Applications front-end.

so...

Then Convert It :rofl:

ACP Import's IN to the local database tables Have Full .htaccess capabilities.

I put 100 just to float it up, but the Ajax hoverCard previews are hard-coded to limit at 10 to save resources(and not overload the user :tongue: ). Always The Freshest Content from the RSS Feed in those.

Great! If your application generates a URL with Most Viewed topics during the last 10 days in descending order with the name of the creator that anyone can read/use/import, I will buy it now. We use Windows/IIS instead of Linux/Apache, but I´m sure this will not be a problem..

Svit, would you mind doing me the extreme favor of throwing me a link? having a difficult time reproducing the issue screen-shotted.... triple-checked that listing for that width to be correct on all resolutions(i MAY go two-by-two, or kill some p[adding and 4x4 it.... its a difficult choice :P
the three-by-three, as I suspected, may simply be too wide... i'll fiddle with that listing more)
multi-convert is a fine thought fairly easily implemented...
and ill look at writing some js to make the feed button redirect rather than consuming valuable application tab space.

Svit, would you mind doing me the extreme favor of throwing me a link? having a difficult time reproducing the issue screen-shotted.... triple-checked that listing for that width to be correct on all resolutions(i MAY go two-by-two, or kill some p[adding and 4x4 it.... its a difficult choice :P

the three-by-three, as I suspected, may simply be too wide... i'll fiddle with that listing more)

multi-convert is a fine thought fairly easily implemented...

and ill look at writing some js to make the feed button redirect rather than consuming valuable application tab space.

... nvm on inability to reproduce... lol. on it, laptop-res pops it.

... nvm on inability to reproduce... lol. on it, laptop-res pops it.

I have patched this locally, and DID test a 4x4 approach...
post-201612-0-66980400-1331301074_thumb.
... Really doesn't work well. :P
I do not feel right with a version enumeration for 1 line of css, so this will be patched in-download:
rss.css:

.feedBox {

width:32%;

padding:0.59%!important;

}

that should be now:

.feedBox {

width:31.9%;

padding:0.59%!important;

}

tested on the wee smallest of laptop screens to be happy.

How does this application handle the unicode junk that comes in with current RSS feed imports from external sites? Stuff like "’" instead of a single quote like it should be? And can an RSS feed be made to import and display using HTML - Auto line break instead of RAW linebreak? Those are my 2 biggest complaints about the built-in system, but I can live with them. If your application handled those issues I'd definitely be willing to pay for it.

How does this application handle the unicode junk that comes in with current RSS feed imports from external sites? Stuff like "’" instead of a single quote like it should be? And can an RSS feed be made to import and display using HTML - Auto line break instead of RAW linebreak? Those are my 2 biggest complaints about the built-in system, but I can live with them. If your application handled those issues I'd definitely be willing to pay for it.

While I have implemented several fixes in regards to HTML-OFF mode(see tracker here on RSS import no HTML==break)
I AM using the IPB rssClass API to pull the feeds in... which very likely means if unicode is an issue with the IPS stock import it is an issue here(which, to be honest, as when the source is in a different charset than the board, we use IPS functions to convert character sets, points more at a bug there in the character conversion itself).... on the matter of linebreaks, "AUTO-Linebreak" actually depends on something no RSS feed actually holds onto, a raw /n rather than a <br /> in the source..... will look into it(and check the unicode) but I am unable to promise much on either of these items, sadly.

Can this mod truncate rss content from some forums, leaving "read more" link to topic?

That rss content being the content shown in the landing? somewhat confused as to your meaning, as of this version, unlike every other application, instead of using an rssOutput.php file, the application landing itself utilizes this innate functionality in these other applications as it's stock landing(before you add groups and start converting them anyway :tongue: ), but does not explicitly affect the RSS output itself.... yet....
I am open to suggestions, I want to make that very clear, I DO have an internal roadmap for versions ahead(functionality primarily), but am never one to turn down a good idea :smile:

While I have implemented several fixes in regards to HTML-OFF mode(see tracker here on RSS import no HTML==break)

I AM using the IPB rssClass API to pull the feeds in... which very likely means if unicode is an issue with the IPS stock import it is an issue here(which, to be honest, as when the source is in a different charset than the board, we use IPS functions to convert character sets, points more at a bug there in the character conversion itself).... on the matter of linebreaks, "AUTO-Linebreak" actually depends on something no RSS feed actually holds onto, a raw /n rather than a <br /> in the source..... will look into it(and check the unicode) but I am unable to promise much on either of these items, sadly.

Thank you for the timely and honest response. For my needs, basically importing sports RSS feeds, I've been very pleased with the stock implementation, but the idea of importing into the database from the feed plus hopefully fixing those 2 annoying "bugs" really gets me interested. I will follow this app and see where it goes.

Thank you for the timely and honest response. For my needs, basically importing sports RSS feeds, I've been very pleased with the stock implementation, but the idea of importing into the database from the feed plus hopefully fixing those 2 annoying "bugs" really gets me interested. I will follow this app and see where it goes.

:) If you would be so kind as to put a link to an RSS known to cause issues with the stock importer for me to test with I would be highly appreciative.

That would be fantastic, thank you!

The most recent article that has that problem is titled "Vecsey: Josh Smith to Boston Celtics trade rumors hold no weight"

The URL of the RSS Feed from YardBarker that has that title, which is from today: http://www.yardbarker.com/rss/team/73

The URL of the article when it's imported: http://hawksquawk.ne...hold-no-weight/

And I've attached a combined screenshot of what the Raw article looks like in the browser and then what it looks like when it's imported.

post-134080-0-39028200-1331333273_thumb.

Thank you... that is extremely helpful, and nails the bug down to a single character... I believe that I can resolve this within this application... off to test :smile:
Quick question extremely relevant... are you preserving html, or not on these imports?(it is handled differently in preparse before save).

...interesting...
I wholeheartedly expected this bug to be present within this application...
that very same article, from the very same feed, both HTML off and on does not produce the behaviour described.... that is to say, that very same article imported into my localhost on this laptop properly retains the character '
if you DO encounter it.... please make me aware of steps to reproduce, but with the given material it seems that bug is not manifesting.

...interesting...

I wholeheartedly expected this bug to be present within this application...

that very same article, from the very same feed, both HTML off and on does not produce the behaviour described.... that is to say, that very same article imported into my localhost on this laptop properly retains the character '

if you DO encounter it.... please make me aware of steps to reproduce, but with the given material it seems that bug is not manifesting.

... I did just recheck this with an UTF-8 encoded database while having modified the stock language pack to use en_US.utf8...
I can reproduce in the stock importer.... am not able to reproduce with this app's tools....
really wish I knew what I did to sidestep a bug I was not aware of.... 0-o

That rss content being the content shown in the landing? somewhat confused as to your meaning,

Make it clear: What IPB have now: RSS export that if I setup feed from restricted access forum - everyone can read topic through rss!
What I would like to have and willing to pay for is option to export onty ex. first two sentence of post to rss and leaving "read more" link to post.

Another good feature is to export most viewed topic daily (or most replied to topic) to rss - which beside of users using rss readers would be usefull in exporting "daily hottest" topic to ex. facebook or another site news.

Make it clear: What IPB have now: RSS export that if I setup feed from restricted access forum - everyone can read topic through rss!

What I would like to have and willing to pay for is option to export onty ex. first two sentence of post to rss and leaving "read more" link to post.

Another good feature is to export most viewed topic daily (or most replied to topic) to rss - which beside of users using rss readers would be usefull in exporting "daily hottest" topic to ex. facebook or another site news.

Seems I do need to explicitly affect the export(....or make my own, which is very likely more efficient in the long run)....
I was actually not aware of the utter lack of options regarding truncation there(that actually rubs me off as well, sure, you cannot respect permissions, but showing the whole thing is sad)... or even exporting posts beyond the OP...
Output as an app landing is all well and good, but after doing some digging, both board and content have so very little control in RSS export.... Must change, noted, planned, and very good point.

Seems I do need to explicitly affect the export(....or make my own, which is very likely more efficient in the long run)....

I was actually not aware of the utter lack of options regarding truncation there(that actually rubs me off as well, sure, you cannot respect permissions, but showing the whole thing is sad)... or even exporting posts beyond the OP...

Output as an app landing is all well and good, but after doing some digging, both board and content have so very little control in RSS export.... Must change, noted, planned, and very good point.

that, however, will be a further version:
File Updated, Changelog follows:
  • Changed How the Default RSS button is handled, is now an appropriately titled link to the Application instead of being hidden.
  • Fixed a Mobile Skin Bug present with more than one group.
  • Added the ability to mass-convert RSS output streams for use within the application landing.
  • Fixed a single database error on 3.3 due to a dropped column, and ensured IPB 3.3 compatibility throughout, while ensuring 3.2.3 compatibility.
  • Added a functional Update Check URL to the Application.

Planned Features:
  • Define Tags For Imported Items, replete with removal upon imported article deletion.
  • Custom RSS Export Definitions by any column in any appropriate table, and truncation/data inclusion options.
  • Board URL move repair tool, as you can define offsite url's within the output landing, I save the Full URL, so I need to create a simple utility allowing a replace when the board URL changes.
  • More Application's Imports.

Tested Compatibility: IPB 3.2.3, IPB 3.3, IPC 2.2.2, IPC 2.3
svit likes this

Thank you... that is extremely helpful, and nails the bug down to a single character... I believe that I can resolve this within this application... off to test :smile:

Quick question extremely relevant... are you preserving html, or not on these imports?(it is handled differently in preparse before save).

Sorry for the delay but yes I preserve HTML and prefer to have it set to HTML auto linebreak

... I did just recheck this with an UTF-8 encoded database while having modified the stock language pack to use en_US.utf8...

I can reproduce in the stock importer.... am not able to reproduce with this app's tools....

really wish I knew what I did to sidestep a bug I was not aware of.... 0-o

That is very interesting! Thank you for testing and as soon as I have time to get this set up I will purchase it and let you know how it works out. Thanks again!

This is the very last IPB 3.2.3/IPC 2.3-Compatible Update, The Next will be IPB 3.3/IPC 2.3 Only, and will await the gold release of both... I want to add tags at the same time for both the imported topics, and the imported records.... better to hold off.
1.0.2 Changelog:

• Markup cleaning, no more leftover "borders".
  • Task bugs found and Fixed.
  • HoverCard Caching Mechanism's Implemented.
  • Settings Added.
  • Board URL "Move" repair tools.
  • RSS Import To Michael McCunes Tutorials Application Functionality Implemented.
  • Better Title Prefix Functionality.
  • Choice On HoverCard Feeds Truncation, or wether to truncate at all.

I highly, quite highly recommend upgrade.... the Tasks were not functioning properly.
Also, See Usage Video 2.