Toooooooooo bad for lifetime license users

sychn

I bought 3 licenses, 1 lifetime, 2 standard, 2 full components, 2 copyright removals for supporting IPS as far as I can do.

Now on my lifetime license board, a lot of junk posts filled my database everyday, Enable Captcha? It doesn't work, bots can still register and post.

I don't know if that was the IPS marketing policy in order to convert the lifetime users to standard, if so, IPS did it in a bad way. The lifetime users should suffer by the junk posts unless they turned to the standard license.

I believe IPS decided to make their products international, but as one of the IPS users which is reducing day by day in China, just feel sad. But, I may still turn my final liftetime to the standard, with unpleasure.

Lack of foresight may good for a short-time income, but the cost is quite possible to lose a huge one, because ppl didn't see any valuable positive actions from IPS to the old users.

Hello,

Have you tried 'Question & Answer' and email verification. These two options built in to the current version of IP.Board will greatly assist in the fight against spam.

If you were to convert to a standard licence, you will also get all the other benefits of IPS Extras, not just the spam service. You can find out about these at http://www.invisionpower.com/suite/extras/

That very much depends upon your subject matter.

If your community is based on a say Star Wars, then asking a Star Wars related question would deter many human spammers, who will not look the answer up.

In any event, it is much better to have these items turned on than off.

Questions and answers work well for bots, but against human spammers ( which is a much larger group than a year ago ) they have little effect.

Yeah well - but nobody can do anything against those, can they? A human spammer is a burden you have to live with in the internet. IPS is not guilty in this case and can't stop this from happening...

Yeah well - but nobody can do anything against those, can they? A human spammer is a burden you have to live with in the internet. IPS is not guilty in this case and can't stop this from happening...

The IPS spam service will work with human spammers just the same as automated ones. Yes a few will get through initially but the system quickly learns which human registered users are spammers.

Install the free stopforumspam hook. This will catch most of the spammers. If you convert to a standard licence you can get the spam monitoring service. Have that as well. Do this plus have the question and answer challenge, say good bye to spam.

3DKiwi

I bought 3 licenses, 1 lifetime, 2 standard, 2 full components, 2 copyright removals for supporting IPS as far as I can do.

Now on my lifetime license board, a lot of junk posts filled my database everyday, Enable Captcha? It doesn't work, bots can still register and post.

I don't know if that was the IPS marketing policy in order to convert the lifetime users to standard, if so, IPS did it in a bad way. The lifetime users should suffer by the junk posts unless they turned to the standard license.

I believe IPS decided to make their products international, but as one of the IPS users which is reducing day by day in China, just feel sad. But, I may still turn my final liftetime to the standard, with unpleasure.

Lack of foresight may good for a short-time income, but the cost is quite possible to lose a huge one, because ppl didn't see any valuable positive actions from IPS to the old users.

I have a few legacy lifetime licenses - just add the stopforumspam hook and a challenge and answer question and you'll be fine. There is no difference in spammers between a lifetime license and new license if you add those two functions.

yeah that question and answer thing is a god send, i was getting 10 spammers a day without fail and got so fed up with them that i turned on User then Admin verify, so i could give the IP, email user name the once over, members dont like that so much though having to wait while i get around to it, so i turned on Q & A and since then not one spammer got through, you have to make your questions a bit cryptic though, and what i find is that any genuine member who cant get the answer right will email me for help..

Archived