Remove "Incomplete" Registrations Entirely

miraclesun

As was discussed in this thread, I think it would be great to take some weight off an admin's shoulders and disallow "incomplete" registrations. This is due to FB/Twitter accounts being connected, and then not filling in the form and clicking "Create New Account".

I have a very simple suggestion as to how this could be improved: Use a prompt that comes up as soon as the person tries to navigate elsewhere: "Are you sure you want to leave? You haven't completed your registration and will not be counted as a member" - something along those lines. Just to help decrease the number of Incomplete registrations. So the person KNOWS that they haven't actually registered. I've had too many people connect to twitter and then see a bunch of them left in the "Incomplete" pile.

It just feels really trivial to have to handle.

Thanks.

I would have thought logically if that happened IP.Board would just pick something random like their Facebook Nickname, then their Facebook name if taken, or then their Facebook ID (same with Twitter) in that order.

Then allow them to change it once afterwards.

I would have thought logically if that happened IP.Board would just pick something random like their Facebook Nickname, then their Facebook name if taken, or then their Facebook ID (same with Twitter) in that order.

Then allow them to change it once afterwards.

that's also a good idea

You can control this in the ACP - you can give them the option to fill in a name, or automatically pull their Facebook name.

Unfortunately, your suggestion doesn't work properly at a technical level. When a user comes in from a Facebook registration we need to store their data, so we create a temporary account row in the database. If the user closes their browser or leaves the page, however, there is no way to forcibly remove that row. We could add a tool/task to periodically prune incomplete accounts, I suppose.

You can control this in the ACP - you can give them the option to fill in a name, or automatically pull their Facebook name.

This isn't possible for twitter though is it?

Unfortunately, your suggestion doesn't work properly at a technical level. When a user comes in from a Facebook registration we need to store their data, so we create a temporary account row in the database. If the user closes their browser or leaves the page, however, there is no way to forcibly remove that row. We could add a tool/task to periodically prune incomplete accounts, I suppose.

Well that could help :-)

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, your suggestion doesn't work properly at a technical level. When a user comes in from a Facebook registration we need to store their data, so we create a temporary account row in the database.

Just don't use the users table to store those temp rows. ;)

• 3 years later...

This is still a problem in 3.4.8. At least one of them I've seen is because a screen name was entered that was already a member name.

I have no idea if Facebook or Twitter is involved, but I have quite a few incomplete registrations. There is no reason to even have this functionality. If any of the fields are invalid, the system should be rejecting these attempted registrations with a simple error message: "Please complete all fields."

Archived