Admin Posts "Reported"

Rheddy

I don't know if this has been addressed but why is it that administrator's posted messages are able to be reported? I've never brought this up before but I've also discovered that there's no way to turn this feature off for the admin or root admin. Has this issue been fixed? I just find it odd since the admin is the highest on the food chain in regards to the IPB forum software.

Would be possible to hide it with a conditional if the post was made by an admin / global mod I expect without too much trouble. :) , maybe something more for a third party article though, I'll add it to my list of articles to write anyway.

Find

<li class='report'>

<a href='{parse url="app=core&amp;module=reports&amp;rcom=post&amp;tid={$this->request['t']}&amp;pid={$post['post']['pid']}&amp;st={$this->request['st']}" base="public"}'>{$this->lang->words['report']}</a>

</li>

Replace with

<if test!="$post['author']['g_access_cp']">

<li class='report'>

<a href='{parse url="app=core&amp;module=reports&amp;rcom=post&amp;tid={$this->request['t']}&amp;pid={$post['post']['pid']}&amp;st={$this->request['st']}" base="public"}'>{$this->lang->words['report']}</a>

</li>

</if>

Might work.

Could integrate it into the existing conditional, but I don't want to think that much.

Rimi, root admins should not be subject to having their posts reported. Root administrators own the forum and the site. I know that if someone had ever reported one of my posts, instead of sending a personal message, that that member probably wouldn't be a member any further.

Just as the warning strike system can be turned off per usergroup so should the "reporting system". If the owner of a site wants to preclude a usergroup from having their posts reported then that should be an option. I'm just confused as to why a root admin's posts are reportable.

Rimi, root admins should not be subject to having their posts reported. Root administrators own the forum and the site. I know that if someone had ever reported one of my posts, instead of sending a personal message, that that member probably wouldn't be a member any further.

Just as the warning strike system can be turned off per usergroup so should the "reporting system". If the owner of a site wants to preclude a usergroup from having their posts reported then that should be an option. I'm just confused as to why a root admin's posts are reportable.

Hello.

Can I see your forum? I'm interested in seeing it.

As bfarber said, post reporting is not for just rule breaking. There could be problems with your post, such as broken links... mistakes etc. Reporting allows this to be addressed just like one would report a file in the Downloads Center as 'broken'.

kenichi tanaka, you're going to ban a member if they report one of your posts?? That is WAY WAY WAY over the top.

As bfarber said, post reporting is not for just rule breaking. There could be problems with your post, such as broken links... mistakes etc. Reporting allows this to be addressed just like one would report a file in the Downloads Center as 'broken'.

kenichi tanaka, you're going to ban a member if they report one of your posts?? That is WAY WAY WAY over the top.

In the report form it says not to use the report manager to contact moderators though.

I agree with Kenichi. We admin gods are not to be reported. If a member reported one of my admin posts..I'd unleash a fury of angry smilies upon him and slap him a 4567544678 years ban. Additionally, we would find out where the member lives and send him a man with a hockey mask and a chainsaw to tear down his doors and leave a dead cat hanging on one of the light bulbs (we would stick our board logo on the cat to avoid any confusion).

If we feel like it, we would call him late at night and just breath on the phone, moaning untill he goes crazy.

Other then that, we're a nice little community always welcoming new members for chat and socializing, meeting new people etc.

I agree with Kenichi. We admin gods are not to be reported. If a member reported one of my admin posts..I'd unleash a fury of angry smilies upon him and slap him a 4567544678 years ban. Additionally, we would find out where the member lives and send him a man with a hockey mask and a chainsaw to tear down his doors and leave a dead cat hanging on one of the light bulbs (we would stick our board logo on the cat to avoid any confusion).

If we feel like it, we would call him late at night and just breath on the phone, moaning untill he goes crazy.

Other then that, we're a nice little community always welcoming new members for chat and socializing, meeting new people etc.

:tongue:

%7Boption%7D

Well done sir.

• 1 month later...

I'm still hoping that this will be corrected in a patch because I don't think the root admin of a forum should have their posts "reported". It kind of defeats the purpose unless it's a troll trying to harass the root admin of a forum site.

I'm still hoping that this will be corrected in a patch because I don't think the root admin of a forum should have their posts "reported". It kind of defeats the purpose unless it's a troll trying to harass the root admin of a forum site.

What if the admin is the person who posted some important topic on the forum that now has a broken link in it? I would want people reporting that post so I could fix it, personally.

Like what others said, there are different reasons for reports: e.g. typos, broken links, other mistakes that are not necessarily to piss the admin off.

But anyway, someone has provided a potential fix. You could see if that works, and if not you could ask again in the thread or request a 3rd party mod that does the trick.

Would be possible to hide it with a conditional if the post was made by an admin / global mod I expect without too much trouble. [img]

[/img] , maybe something more for a third party article though, I'll add it to my list of articles to write anyway.

Thank you!

The way I see it is that I usually get notified by PM from a member regarding inaccuracies on my website or forums. The "report" feature on administrators content is more of a nuisance. Because, I generally get "nuisance" members that do nothing but harass the members on my site, and some that have been banned but keep finding new ways of getting through. They do find new ways of annoying my community. I've just never had anyone use the report feature on anything I've posted on my forums.

I realize the need for it, but there should be some way to disable it for certain members or even usergroups. I'm just looking for a way to disable it for the Admin usergroup. I wouldn't mind paying for a hook or mod that does this, if someone had created one.

I realize the need for it, but there should be some way to disable it for certain members or even usergroups. I'm just looking for a way to disable it for the Admin usergroup.

I don't see a big problem with a disable option. I have no doubt that the report system can be abused and in such cases it could be very annoying. I wouldn't support the notion of removing the ability to report admin content altogether, but an option to disable specific usergroups or users from reporting admin content and/or content by other specified usergroups, could be useful, depending on a site's policies.

Archived