When are we going to have Full Forum Facebook APP?

RainbowGirl

i am following this vbulletin apps, i think its a great improuvement of classic forum system,
social network is at the heart of the web, 800m of users on facebook and 400m dailly connected on it is not nothing,

i think that a similar or more greater apps for IPBoard will be so usefull for many many ips users.

here are a presentation of this app :
https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/entry.php/2490-vBulletin-Facebook-App-Social-Network-Overview

when i export my forum rss forum topics to our facebook page i see many fans discuss the topics on the facebook page, they are not members on the board purhapse or they dont want to go to the board and log in and clic on reply and and and .. if there is an app for facebook fans will participate diretly to the forum and that will be very great !

hope IPS team pass here ..

• 3 weeks later...

I hope this isn't going to add more integration stuff into the core software. I'd prefer all this intergration into social media garbage as a serpate application instead. IP.Social < There you have it.

You might refer to it as garbage, however, companies like Ford, Zappos and Amazon use it because it works.

Agree, Facebook stuff is garbage, Ok its handy for spamming your links in the hope that people can pull themselves away from facebook for 5 minutes before they have a panic attack but to encourage facebook usage away from your site is silly, and why we pander to facebook is beyond me, i wont even turn on sign up with your facebook account on my site..
Yep i hate facebook its the death to all small communities and makes it harder for us to survive so nothing like this needs to be core. Im all for an anti facebook campaign pet hate of mine that place :baby:

but to encourage facebook usage away from your site is silly

This right here. Facebook will love you for putting your website in theirs... because it means more users stay on Facebook and won't have to leave to go to your site. They'll probably say "Don't you want to make your website MORE accessible and MORE convenient???"... but then walk away giggling about soon enough no-one will need to leave Facebook. After all... they did say something about a goal to put Facebook into almost every website in the internet... (and after that annoucement you may have heard some Google employees closed their Facebook accounts.)

Facebook is like a megachain supermarket. Why go to any other shop when you can get everything under one roof?

I understand some forums use FB to try and market themselves, but for a lot of other forums who don't need this type of marketing... all this extra connectivity just looks like bloat.

Of course, this topic is just about a feature request and isn't about why FB is secretly evil... so I won't continue.

This right here. Facebook will love you for putting your website in theirs... because it means more users stay on Facebook and won't have to leave to go to your site. They'll probably say "Don't you want to make your website MORE accessible and MORE convenient???"... but then walk away giggling about soon enough no-one will need to leave Facebook. After all... they did say something about a goal to put Facebook into almost every website in the internet... (and after that annoucement you may have heard some Google employees closed their Facebook accounts.)

Facebook is like a megachain supermarket. Why go to any other shop when you can get everything under one roof?

I understand some forums use FB to try and market themselves, but for a lot of other forums who don't need this type of marketing... all this extra connectivity just looks like bloat.

Of course, this topic is just about a feature request and isn't about why FB is secretly evil... so I won't continue.

You've made a lot of good points here, which has made me rethink my position.

I don't think anyone at IPS has anything against Facebook and using wise integration where it makes sense or enhances the software.

I'm not (personally) convinced adding your forums to a "Facebook app" will net you anything in the end. I would be interesting in hearing some finely controlled case studies to confirm.

In any event, as Rhett pointed out, there are ways to do this already. If you need help doing it, I recommend contact Facebook for further information.

• 1 year later...

I don't think anyone at IPS has anything against Facebook and using wise integration where it makes sense or enhances the software.

I'm not (personally) convinced adding your forums to a "Facebook app" will net you anything in the end. I would be interesting in hearing some finely controlled case studies to confirm.

In any event, as Rhett pointed out, there are ways to do this already. If you need help doing it, I recommend contact Facebook for further information.

I admin a 40 000+ community currently using IPB.

There is absolutely no doubt that users following a forum can draw benefit from the features provided by vBulletin.

I have just looked at vBulletin's (5) seamless integration of forum features with Facebook. If IPB has no plan to develop a similar add-on then I guess I have to switch to Vbulletin sometime soon.

Tahir

There is absolutely no doubt that users following a forum can draw benefit from the features provided by vBulletin.

I have just looked at vBulletin's (5) seamless integration of forum features with Facebook. If IPB has no plan to develop a similar add-on then I guess I have to switch to Vbulletin sometime soon.

Tahir

You do know vBulletin 5 is the devil's creation?

Tahir

What is it exactly that you want? we already seamlessly integrate with facebook logins and sharing etc.

Hi Rhett,

How does one set this up?

Kind regards,

Stuart

Sorry for missing this, all you do is setup the normal facebook app as you do for logins, then include the following setting, then it will run inside of facebook. You must run the site under 100% SSL however for this to work.

Basic-_Facebook_Developers_17853BAD.png

Then it will run as an app on facebook and look like the following.

Exactservers_on_Facebook_17853EBF.png

• 2 weeks later...

Please see this video:

'>

and let me know if the IFRAME solution of IPB supports similar features.

You will need to be a little more specific on what you are asking specifically, that video is over 10 minutes long, however as the screen shots I posted above, running inside of an iframe on facebook, the complete forum works just fine. I haven't found anything that doesn't work yet in my testing.

• 1 year later...

Archived