Suggestion: VNC Personal Portal

BN_IT_Support

One of the most used pages for getting around on my site is the VNC, and whilst the current version is a welcome improvement on earlier versions I wonder if it could be personalised a bit more and given a 'portal' makeover. Some immediate thoughts are: Thanks

[*]Could a default view be all watched/followed content across all apps - i.e. updates on everything that the user has expressed an interest in. [*]Any other view for 'all my content' showing updates for everything that you've participated in across all apps; inc comments on your gallery, blogs, files, articles etc. [*]Featured VNC stuff from the Admin team - i.e. top stuff that you want to promote above the noise. [*]Stuff that's trending? [*]Latest Tag cloud. [*]Drag and drop personal sorting [*]and then just give a it a bit of a portal-style make-over.

I would like the same kind of page for members to view content that relates to them on a personal level. Whether it's through the VNC, profile, or a new custom homepage to show the end-users the content that matters to them most, first. Personalization is important. That's what makes SN's like Facebook & Twitter stand out. They give the end-users what they want first...content that's important to them on a personal level.

Forum communities are just that...communities as a whole. So, we get new content as a whole community first. Nothing wrong with getting new content as a whole. But, we should also be able to showcase personal new content as well (your's & your friends' content from all apps). Not everyone wants to participate in communities as a whole all the time. Sometimes people just want to know what their friends are up to and who commented on their blog or photos, etc. Forum communities haven't given end-users an easy way to do this over the years (which is shocking to me since it's been requested long before the major SN's developed), so they sign-up for Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and any other new and exciting SN that does.

I've joined all the requests for this from many forum platforms over the years. None have delivered, yet. Normally we get answers like "it would be a resource hog for the little guys' hosting accounts". My answer is usually "but what about those of us who have dedicated servers and really need this?".

Please count my vote once again...maybe we will see something like this someday.

I've joined all the requests for this from many forum platforms over the years. None have delivered, yet. Normally we get answers like "it would be a resource hog for the little guys' hosting accounts". My answer is usually "but what about those of us who have dedicated servers and really need this?"

This would be a resource hog for the "little guys", but perhaps there's a solution for it. Make the "personalized VNC" a feature that can be turned onoff. Server can't handle it? Set to "off" and keep plodding along. Hell, sell it as a separate module for all I care, I'd pay for it.

This would be a resource hog for the "little guys", but perhaps there's a solution for it. Make the "personalized VNC" a feature that can be turned onoff. Server can't handle it? Set to "off" and keep plodding along. Hell, sell it as a separate module for all I care, I'd pay for it.

My thoughts exactly.

It's so important to keep the end users in mind. Attention to details that matter most to people. Give the end users what they want on a personal level and you have a better chance of them spending more time in your community. A community as a whole is like a community in life. You enjoy your community as a whole, but you also enjoy your personal time at home with your family and friends.

Our approach to this has been to use IP Content as the 'personal' page for our members. We're still in the development stages but it's basically a "my" page with blocks for:

1. my groups for social groups
2. my friends birthdays
3. my friends status updates
4. my calendar events I am following
5. my blogs I follow
6. and .... a 3-tab block that lists Unread content I follow | Unread article categories I follow | Unread blog entries I follow
7. my friends currently online
8. list of links that feed from a db that show personalized links to areas of our community website + a link to content I have posted + a link to content I follow + a link to my blogs (some people have more than one)...

you get the idea ...

but you don't have to do this on the landing page of ip content either ... there is a mod here on ipb that lets you create additional pages and you could add all those blocks to that page ... and you could label it as "my page" kind of thing ....

• 2 months later...

Our approach to this has been to use IP Content as the 'personal' page for our members. We're still in the development stages but it's basically a "my" page with blocks for:

I have tried a similar setup in IP.Content, thanks to your idea. It doesn't cover everything like we'd wish it would, but it's a really good start. Thanks for the idea :thumbsup:

Archived