Marcher Technologies

Enhanced Google Analytics

65 posts in this topic

%7Boption%7D

File Name: Enhanced Google Analytics

File Submitter: Marcher Technologies

File Submitted: 12 Jan 2012

File Category: Integration

This Enhanced Google Analytics Application allows you to automatically add your Analytics tracking code asynchronously to the header without IP.SEO(Can Be Used WITH and to Enhance IP.SEO Through further Google Analytics Statistics Refining). Once your UA code is input, the rest of the system enables Dynamic Variables usage to be tracked in Analytics to help refine your tracking system, addition of custom Analytics events tracking the click of any html element with a specified id, as well as configure user groups that should be ignored(not tracked).
This system can be used everywhere the board wrapper is used. This has been tested with all IPS products and is fully functional for all without conflict.
This system can *also* be used manually, for you wrapper-less folks, or those that already have custom variables implemented but wish to implement easily the addition of the active custom events with manual code.
Manual Codes are provided for PHP(fully dynamic, works in tandem with the application) that returns the tracking/variables/events js code, Javascript(not dynamic, but allows you to build a custom events list to add to existing GA Code for you power users), as well as no-Javascript fall-back low-level PHP code.

Features:

• All Custom Variables titles are fully editable to allow flexibility.
  • Custom Tracking Variables are designed to give useful ways to segment your tracking statistics by dynamic items Google does not normally have available/utilize.
  • All Applications shown are With the entire IP.Suite Installed, only installed and enabled applications will appear.
  • Mobile Skin Support.
  • Manual Code Placement Support
  • The Available Custom Variables Values for Applications follow:

IP.Board Topic View Variables
  • Current Forum ID_Name
  • Author ID_Display Name
  • Topic Publish Year
  • Currently Viewing User Group ID_Name
  • Current Skin ID_Name

IP.Blog Blog Entry View
  • Blog ID_Name
  • Author ID_Display Name
  • Entry Publish Year
  • Current Skin ID_Name

IP.Downloads File View
  • File Category ID_Name
  • Author ID_Display Name
  • File Submission Year
  • Current Skin ID_Name

IP.Nexus Item View
  • Package Group ID_Name
  • Package Type
  • Current Skin ID_Name

IP.Gallery Image View
  • Image's Album ID_Name
  • Author ID_Display Name
  • Image Submission Year
  • Current Skin ID_Name

IP.Calendar Event View
  • Calendar ID_Name
  • Author ID_Display Name
  • Event Submission Year(*note, IP.Calendar stores the actual event ranges/times in human, not unix, hence why this is not used here.)
  • Current Skin ID_Name

IP.Content Record/Article View
  • Database ID_Name of the Article/Record
  • Content Type: The Singular Uppercase ACP Language Definition for "Record" in the currently viewed Database.
  • Record's Category ID_Name
  • Author ID_Display Name
  • Record Publish Year
  • Current Skin ID_Name

Available for all other Applications/Areas
  • Current Year
  • Current Skin ID_Name

Custom Tracking Events
  • Track the click of, for example, the register_link id in Google Analytics, allowing you to track potential registrations, or spambots for that matter.
  • Fully Customizable Tracking Events, add, edit, enable, disable, or delete Tracking Events at your leisure.

Customize your IPB Google Analytics tracking today. %7Boption%7D
Demo Link has the System live on it.

here to download this file

Newbie question: After purchase, all I have to do is add my google code to this? Are there any prerequisite settings/plugins I need besides IPS Suite and Google Analytics account?

Newbie question: After purchase, all I have to do is add my google code to this? Are there any prerequisite settings/plugins I need besides IPS Suite and Google Analytics account?

No, No additional Prerequisites, you may, as a power-user, utilize the custom variables and events to help Fine-tune your data, It Simply has a large list of Custom Variables to the specific applications, and the ability to push events to Google Analytics for tracking, Both of these areas appear after you input your Google Analytics Code, and all the custom handlers/variables are "condensed" down when the hook is run, ergo, it is only ever tracking extra what you specify it to.
You can use it for Simple Google Analytics Code Input(by no more than the Google Analytics key), or you can utilize the more advanced options.

I'm running IP.SEO and I've just bought / installed your module. I've entered my Google UA code.

In IP.SEO you can enter the Google tracking script, so it gets added to every page in every skin.

• Should/can I leave that tracking code in, our should I remove it now I have Enhanced Analytics installed & configured?

Edited by wsf

I'm running IP.SEO and I've just bought / installed your module. I've entered my Google UA code.

In IP.SEO you can enter the Google tracking script, so it gets added to every page in every skin.

you should not leave it, it should be disabled(IPS.Seo's setting)... due to the way Google Analytics code is supposed to be handled with tracking variables and events, the injection needs to be one, and only one tag.

Thanks for the quick reply. I've removed IP.SEO's tracking code right away.

And something else: In the custom variables I noticed that "skin" can be chosen in multiple contexts, like "system", "forum" etc. It is also stated that you can use a max of 5 custom vars due to Google policy.

• if I enable "skin" in "system", will it be used system wide, so also in forum, content etc?
  • should I count all variables in all context, where the total may not be greater then 5? Or is it "per context"

And a feature request:
First some definitions: Our forum has an index, listing all categories and "main" forums. Main forums contain topics (and posts), and may contain subforums (including topics and perhaps more sub-subforums etc).
  • I would like to aggregrate Analytics data on main forums level. So subforums (and everyting that is in them) shouldn't create their own data, it should all be added to the corresponding main forum.

Thanks for the quick reply. I've removed IP.SEO's tracking code right away.

And something else: In the custom variables I noticed that "skin" can be chosen in multiple contexts, like "system", "forum" etc. It is also stated that you can use a max of 5 custom vars due to Google policy.

• if I enable "skin" in "system", will it be used system wide, so also in forum, content etc?
  • should I count all variables in all context, where the total may not be greater then 5? Or is it "per context"

And a feature request:

First some definitions: Our forum has an index, listing all categories and "main" forums. Main forums contain topics (and posts), and may contain subforums (including topics and perhaps more sub-subforums etc).

• I would like to aggregrate Analytics data on main forums level. So subforums (and everyting that is in them) shouldn't create their own data, it should all be added to the corresponding main forum.

It is per context... and I'm really fairly certain it wont let you activate more than 5 per area(.... i remember coding that in fondly), as that would violate the GA rules on that.
System is applicable to any area not listed in other areas, but very specifically NOT applicable to any listed area, as a note.
unsupported apps and such..... the goal really being handing data that analytics cannot already sniff out.
Suggestion noted...one gets close to this effect by activating the forum id_name variable and aggregating the data in your report based on that... kind of tricky to just tell it to look all the way up the forum tree there, but i will see what i can do.
It was coded with an app=>module=>section approach in mind, so if you have any further requests for variables in areas not specifically separately enabled, i am ears.

I have enabled tracking of the custom variable skin in System and Forums (screenshot of the latter):

post-111585-0-35370000-1335646337_thumb.

The skin variable doesn't seem to work though:

post-111585-0-03532700-1335646328_thumb.

Since all skins are supposed to be tracked the number of visits should be way larger than 1.

Btw: added Enhanced GA at about april 20th.

need at minimum a link.
I suspect the skin author took high liberties and nuked hook points i really need.... i can see the variable in mine, and stock and see that it is properly cleaned.

need at minimum a link.

To our forum you mean? It's http://www.wetenscha...um.nl/index.php

I suspect the skin author took high liberties and nuked hook points i really need.... i can see the variable in mine, and stock and see that it is properly cleaned.

The default mobile skin is also used. I believe it's untouched, so that's interesting.

Oh, very relevant but I forgot to mentions: we're using IPB 3.2.3 / Enhanced Google Analytics v1.0.0

To our forum you mean? It's

http://www.wetenscha...um.nl/index.php

The default mobile skin is also used. I believe it's untouched, so that's interesting.

Oh, very relevant but I forgot to mentions: we're using IPB 3.2.3 / Enhanced Google Analytics v1.0.0

sigh.. thanks for that.... working through a version that addresses the mobile issue and does a far more thorough cleaning of variables.... i see a skin name with a space there and that's not good.

i see a skin name with a space there and that's not good.

Replaced the space in both skins with an underscore, I'll keep you posted!

Btw: I noticed the mobile skin doesn't contain any ga.js. If I'm not mistaken the mobile skin even is the default IPB-one.
Any suggestions?

And something else: when viewing a forum (looking at the list of topics and / or subforums) doesn't seem to ad a forum tag like
['_setCustomVar', 1, 'Forum', 'id_Forumname', 3],

As stated I've replaced the spaces in skin names with an underscore a while ago. The skin variable doesn't get filled though, it's exactly the same as in the previous screenshot (still only 1 hit).

I did notice this:

index[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=3]—The slot for the custom variable. [/size][/font][/color]Required.[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=3] This is a number whose value can range from [/size][/font][/color]1[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=3] - [/size][/font][/color]5[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=3], inclusive. A custom variable should be placed in one slot only and not be re-used across different slots.[/size][/font][/color]

source: https://developers.g...CustomVariables

On my forum index I find:

<script type='text/javascript'>

var _gaq = _gaq || [];

_gaq.push(

['_setAccount', 'UA-xxx-1'],

['_setCustomVar', 1, 'Primary Group', '4_group4', 2],

['_setCustomVar', 2, 'Skin', '4_Standaard_Wetenschapsforum', 2],

['_trackPageview']

);

(function() {

var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true;

ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';

var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);

})();

</script>

And in a topic it is:

var _gaq = _gaq || [];

_gaq.push(

['_setCustomVar', 1, 'Forum', '89_forumname', 3],

['_setCustomVar', 2, 'Primary Group', '4_group4', 2],

['_setCustomVar', 3, 'Skin', '4_Standaard_Wetenschapsforum', 2],

['_trackPageview']

);

(function() {...

</script>

Could it be that there's a conflict because the skin has customvar 2 in the index and custom var 3 in topics?

If you're interested I can grant you access to our GA-account

As stated I've replaced the spaces in skin names with an underscore a while ago. The skin variable doesn't get filled though, it's exactly the same as in the previous screenshot (still only 1 hit).

I did notice this:

source:

https://developers.g...CustomVariables

var _gaq = _gaq || [];

_gaq.push(

['_trackPageview']

);

(function() {

var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true;

ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';

var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);

})();

</script>

And in a topic it is:

var _gaq = _gaq || [];

_gaq.push(

['_trackPageview']

);

(function() {...

</script>

Could it be that there's a conflict because the skin has customvar 2 in the index and custom var 3 in topics? If you're interested I can grant you access to our GA-account

noted... eesh, ok, manual patch until i find the moment to patch the template xml. open skin->ga_plus->includeVars for each skin(you will revert templates when you upgrade to next vs as a note). find:

{$v['ga_var_title']}

make that:

{$v['ga_app']}{$v['ga_module']}{$v['ga_section']}{$v['ga_var_title']}

that is likely the crux of the issue in a nutshell.... thx for that.
And apologies for not having that that way in the first place >.< its gonna throw your analytics variables current off, but they will be correct in google's eyes.

Does this work for 3.3.2?

yes.

I did notice this:

source:

https://developers.g...CustomVariables

var _gaq = _gaq || [];

_gaq.push(

['_trackPageview']

);

(function() {

})();

</script>

And in a topic it is:

var _gaq = _gaq || [];

_gaq.push(

['_trackPageview']

);

(function() {...

</script>

Could it be that there's a conflict because the skin has customvar 2 in the index and custom var 3 in topics?

If you're interested I can grant you access to our GA-account

1.0.1 resolves both of the issues you encountered(including cleaning EVERYTHING passed in to be valid no matter how funky), upload and upgrade.

A subtle bump for this:

Btw: I noticed the mobile skin doesn't contain any ga.js. If I'm not mistaken the mobile skin even is the default IPB-one.

Any suggestions?

And a feature request: funnel for registration event
Contains multiple steps:
Step 1: enter basic data
Step 2: "email sent" confirmation page
Step 3: confirmation link from email has been clicked on
Step 4: first login

I'm still under the impression this mod doesn't support the default mobile skin (by default), at least not on 3.2.3

In the mobile skin I do see the "skin_gaplus"-bit, containing the IncludeEvents and IncludeVars. But when viewing the code of a mobile page there isn't any Google-entry. What went wrong?

I also noticed that in the skin where it's working the ga-code is added within this:

{parse template="includeJS" group="global" params="$jsModules"}

that line is also present in the mobile skin. But it doesn't seem to generate the EGA-code.

I'm still under the impression this mod doesn't support the default mobile skin (by default), at least not on 3.2.3

In the mobile skin I do see the "skin_gaplus"-bit, containing the IncludeEvents and IncludeVars

But those bits aren't called for anywhere in the template. The IncludeVars is used in all other skins (in skin_global and skin_global_other).

Is there a reason why those bits aren't used in the mobile skin?

Does it suffice to add the IncludeVars to the bits mentioned?

I need to hook it out into the mobile skin, and thanks for the reminder.... very basically, the javascript method is discouraged in mobile as well, so I have been investigating other avenues.
and no, that will not suffice, you need the data and dynamic parsing occurring in the hooks that are passed to that template.

thanks for your super quick reply :D. May I conclude that this is work in progress? If so: are you able to give an estimate on when it will be available? I'm afraid I'm missing quite some data. Or perhaps there's a work around?

thanks for your super quick reply :D. May I conclude that this is work in progress? If so: are you able to give an estimate on when it will be available? I'm afraid I'm missing quite some data. Or perhaps there's a work around?

It is in progress, i have no estimate though.... no quick workaround, and a quick workaround would factually hurt here... i have it setup a certain way at this time, and i need 2 hook points(looking to rework this).
the problem really is threefold.
Mobile skin has different hook points.
Mobile Skin Has Few Hook points.
The Mobile experience demands I swap my usage entirely away from javascript for risk of not reporting the data correctly or at all for all mobile devices.