[suggestion] Skin Visual Editor- allow editing existing skin

shaks

Currently, in IPB 3.2.3, it is not possible to edit a skin already created using the visual editor, which means that if i want to edit any part of the theme that i created before, i am forced to start all over again, from the default IPB skin. This is a serious limitation and i really think that it has to be fixed. Suppose i want to edit only a small part of the theme, after having spent hours to find the right tone and hues of the theme that i want, then i'll have to start again, which doesn't make sense as there should be a way to edit a skin created using the visual editor.

Currently, in IPB 3.2.3, it is not possible to edit a skin already created using the visual editor, which means that if i want to edit any part of the theme that i created before, i am forced to start all over again, from the default IPB skin. This is a serious limitation and i really think that it has to be fixed. Suppose i want to edit only a small part of the theme, after having spent hours to find the right tone and hues of the theme that i want, then i'll have to start again, which doesn't make sense as there should be a way to edit a skin created using the visual editor.

who said that? you can...
convert it to a full skin set.
http://screencast.com/t/4jNQQGqfwY7

I agree, it is a limitation and you should be able to edit the existing skin in the VE.

so ips should support the styling of a skinners foreign classes? :logik:
What if the bg's are images, like skinbox is heavy on?
or, for that matter, they are using css3 gradient bg's?
VSE really messes those up.... this is when using the same markup.
not all skinners explicitly do.
some skins will have id's and classes not in the stock markup...
in which case the VSE is looking for elements not present to effect.

I shouldn't have listened to you, Marcher, as i converted my visual editor skin and now i lost the ability to use the skin editor on that skin. I'm sorry to say that you missed the point completely.
What i meant was that the skin editor which is limited to changing colors of the default IPB theme, fits its specific purpose, as it has nothing to do with editing any other themes. Like i've said in my first post, i just want the ability to save Color Profiles from the visual editor. Let me further explain (although it should be obvious by now): Let's say i spend several hours trying to get the exact colors of my dream theme, completely based on the default IPB theme. This is exactly what i want, as i don't want to customize the colors of any additional themes. So, i would open the visual editor and click around trying to find the perfect blend, from my perspective. After all this work is done, i save it and i look my forums and i like it, but then i see some small parts that could use a little more polishing, like a more pronounced color in certain parts or some small sections that i might have not customized. Then, what do i do? Currently, with IPB 3.2.3, the only thing to do is to start all over again, even though there is the "visual skin editor" button next to the theme in the ACP, when i click on it, all i see is a default theme and i have to customize everything all over again, starting from scratch. Now, this is precisely the limitation that i was referring to. Some more options need to be added, so that the color profiles from the visual skin editor can be saved, and hence edited later on, to be refined according to the admin's preferences. I think i have over-explained things here (apparently, i had no choice), and i think it's a serious feature lacking from the visual skin editor. I don't think it's so difficult to do it, as the skin editor panel is very professional-looking and it just needs a color profile section to save all the profiles created manually by the admin so that these can be edited later on.

Archived