Suggestion! in the features

Troy Spiral

Facebook is simple (more or less) for use by ALL of the populace and thankfully, IPS has made this board simpler. It's not Facebook, also thankfully, but now I won't be on a daily tutoring thing with new users about how to use all the bells and whistles. Some of us administer boards that are not geek themed. We actually have grandmas posting. :ohmy:

The oldest member on my board is a Chelsea Pensioner who served in my regiment, he is the young age of 103 yrs, been through 3 wars, and is now being well looked after. He loves my board, can chat, email, and find his way round the board easily, without me mentoring him, not bad for an old soldier.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one thing I could never understand is why IPS would change its forum software just because other people expect them to do that. What attracted me to the IPB software was because I became used to using it on another anime forum community I was using at the time. However, ever since IPB 3, I feel that the software has grown into its own threat.

Let me explain.

I've enjoyed using the IPB software ever since 2004 but it seems that IPS Developers for the actual forum software has fallen prey to what we've seen with web browsers and operating systems. Take web browsers, for instance. I remember when using such web browsers as Internet Explorer, Firefox and Opera was so simple that it wasn't crowded with a ton of features and other addons that the developers have decided "oh, we need this feature, and that feature". It's something new that they opted to create for their web browsers.

However, IPS seems to have taken the approach to take what already exists on the market (Facebook, Twitter, Open ID, Gravatar, etc) and include them in with every aspect, every corner of IPB that it's become distracting for the end user/client. Personally, I think transforming IPB into a social network software is getting away from the reason why we purchase the license from IPS in the first place. Just wait, when the next new fresh social network gets released or debuts, we're going to see that incorporated into IPB.

The problem is that IPS developers are too busy with wanting to add every nook and cranny that exists in the social online internet that IPB has become so diluted that it's no longer the forum software that it started put as. Now, I'm not saying that IPB is going to start losing clients, but, I think that there are too many addons being incorporated into IPB that instead of creating their own social network "software" or "addons" that IPS is usinig other companies' ideas instead of creating their own.

IPS started out great, even creating its own set of addons: Blog, Marketplace, Chat, Downloads, and even IP.Content. Instead, IPS has become a slave to their big business clients that their large client base of normal website admins are being forgotten in the longrun.

While Charles made some earlier comments in this topic, I seem to recall differently that IPS had made comments that Gravatar, OpenID, Facebook and Twitter logins were added because that's what was being adapted by many corporate and business websites. The fact that he said that it was a general expectation that IPS would add these kind of contradicts the two statements.

For me, I'll probably continue to support IPB for a little while longer but I'm starting to gravitate to converting to phpBB or even some of the other alternatives because IPB has started to become too diluted from what it used to be. For me, I just want something simple that isn't too complicated. But, I think IPB is concentrating on adding social network features because Facebook, Twitter or something else looks attractive and it's a very poor reason to add this feature or that feature because it looks cool and that it was created by some other social network.

Hello,

After reading this thread...
The "i like this" button is good in my opinion. You post something and after time you see that somebody likes your post so you are curious who is that person and you click in his profile, then you read his posts or blogs, it is another way to get "more in touch" with somebody within the community. So far the IPB v 3.2 is looking nice and i see the point of making the forum more social but at the same time keeping the essential, being a forum.
I like IPB and their efforts to listen to customers and make IPB the best forum software around the net. Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

It doesn't really matter that it is specifically Facebook but that cocoon & comment type social-networking system is not what a "forum" should be, or at least I don't think many of us started forums with that mentality nor will IPB win any battle with that type of service.

I'm all for cherry picking good ideas and adding them if they work with the forum concept or lead to enhancing it. Login with your Facebook / twitter info? Sure why not , just makes it easier to login. Allow easier integration with the social networks to "advertize" your forum? Sure why not?

But morphing the whole thing into a cocoon type system is , while perhaps "popular" missing the forum discussion concept.

Exactly. But that's like saying Toyota shouldn't create cars with wheels because a Ferrari(who also has wheels) is a thousand times faster, more good looking and generally more upper-class.

Just because IPB adds "like", that Facebook has, doesn't mean IPB is trying to compete with Facebook. It merely adds a generally very well recognized and great feature.

I agree with you on the specific point your making here, but forum software is not social networking software per se. Its a different market/idea.

I do not get the impression from the way the "forum' software is morphing INTO a facebook-like entity, not just "taking some really good / desired" features and integrating them, which at least for many of us is what we want "a discussion forum" not a "Miniature facebook system".

No, my first post indicates social media integration is essential, not that forums should become Facebook. The two are mutually exclusive forms of communication. I took your post as an implication that you thought forums were being phased out. I guess I read your post wrong?

"My feeling is that Facebook has won the "Community War"."

"Forums can't compete with Facebook."

"I think the whole discussion format is fading."

Hah, well that's pretty much what I just said. If that's your real belief we are apparently in perfect agreement. %7Boption%7D

First half of this quote covers it although I wouldn't quite go as far as to say Facebook-type discussions and forum-type discussions are mutually exclusive (they do share some similarities) but they are very different and "diluting" the forum concept by slowly morphing it into a poor-excuse for Facebook is not the way to go.

To restate: taking some "good features" that lend to easier promotion / facilitation of forum-style open discussions from facebook and other such places? Absolutely. Try to turn forums INTO such entities is the bad move.

Well, a forum is a forum and a social network a social network. If you want to compete with facebook try doing so on your own, but please let this software be a forumsoftware. I'm not saying that it could not be easier at some points but what I'm saying is that people who want to use facebook, will use facebook and not come to one out of thousands clones. (Apart from that there are people that dislike "social" networks as a whole)

Personally I don't see why everyone's 'Barneys Girlfriend'ing so much about it.
IPB will still be FORUMS. It's just that they add better functionality to track your friends content aswell as new content relevant to YOU.

IPB is not a social networking site per say but they are perfectly capable of adding social networking features without becoming a social networking site like Facebook.

The problem you guys also seem to be having is that you can't see why social networking sites like Facebook has become so popular. They encourage members to engage in conversation. If we can get that encouragement over to the forum-system we'll definitely be a hell of a lot better off.

And you can turn off all of these features if you don't like them. Don't buy blogs if you instead think Wordpress is better. Don't buy IP.Content if you think Joomla is better.
People like you guys are the ones who stop development. Deactivate your IP.Board license and go code your own instead.

IPB is not a social networking

that is the problem.

is not - but look like %7Boption%7D

as well like artificial gold %7Boption%7D

I just collect people on my forum that do not like facebook or
any form of social networks.

and now this forum - is beginning to look like a social network.

Many will go from my forum because that.

They will go to other forums - that have no similarities with Facebook or Google+

in any case, social networks wins since this policy
remained in the minds of people that -
Facebook is orginal - and Facebook-like forum is copie...

in the end will be no forums - will be just a social network.

and I would not be surprised that IPB integrates directly into the Facebook one day ....

and it is not bad - on the one hand - we will not have to pay hosting as now.
Hosting will be integrated - also - on Facebook account - including the IPB software...

LOL. You are hilerious :D Seriously!
But I see there's no idea trying to explain to you guys the benefit of this.

A sidenote though; If your users are leaving your site because of the MINIMAL facebook integration(facebook-login possibility aswell as the facebook-share possibility), I think you have a very serious problem in the fundemental design of your website.

I think it's one of those "damned if you don't, damned if you do" situations, social networking is big, it's very big, and for most forum owners it's a welcome inclusion - the ability to remove most things on the board exist if you have a little experience tampering with the templates, or in most cases these things can be disabled through the ACP, I'd definitely be all for any add-on, even if I didn't use it, as long as I could find a way to remove them should I be totally opposed to the idea of using them.

Social networking though, is a must for most site owners, after all, if it helps the popularity of a site then wouldn't that really be a bonus? :)

I think this post should be closed, its begginng to turn into a rant, and it ain't good to see for new customers that IPS may get.

Why not? If a new customer can't decide on their own whether the software is good for them or not, hiding the "bad" posts won't make it any more popular. Some companies already do this on their website and as a result, it will be a cold day in hell before I use their products or recommend them to someone else.

If your product is so weak that you have to delete/lock the posts that criticize it, your product most likely wasn't that good to begin with.

• Management

What I like about Facebook and Google+ is that you can easily track content from your friends. In the world of forums, IPB included, it is not that easy.

And trying to follow one topic across all of Facebook is nearly impossible. That is the very point of a forum - it's not about the *people*, it's about the discussion primarily.

Facebook is a stream of a person's interest whereas a forum is a stream of people's information based around a single interest.

And trying to follow one topic across all of Facebook is nearly impossible. That is the very point of a forum - it's not about the *people*, it's about the discussion primarily.

Facebook is a stream of a person's interest whereas a forum is a stream of people's information based around a single interest.

This is true but since the IPB profile has become a lot more sophisticated, maybe the need for tracking friends within the profile view will gain more importance.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally don't like to use Facebook, but I love some of it's features, overall integration and usability. Many young and old people agree, even those who are mostly computer illiterate. I don't have to like Facebook to respect them for their accomplishments.

A "Like This" button IMHO is great. A "Dislike" button is not as necessary but should be added as an option (which can be set for specific applications, or forums). "Dislike" is more likely to be abused compared to a "Like This" button, and as mentioned having people "Dislike" everything just breeds a negative atmosphere which is not something you would 'generally' want in your community. It could be useful though as an option in specific areas.

What I like about Facebook and Google+ is that you can easily track content from your friends. In the world of forums, IPB included, it is not that easy.

That's why everyone I know loves facebook. It's a clean interface that shows them a feed of all their friends activities. Some even use their cell phones to alert them of updates made on facebook. Personally, I only use it for our business. I deleted my personal account a long time ago so that my time and updates are posted on my own sites instead of Facebook or Twitter.

Forums are great for topical discussions, yes. But, some people would also like to be able to follow updates of just their friends. People make connections in forums. It would be nice if they could keep up with those connections in a more personal level instead of saying "Hey, follow me on Twitter." or "Hey, friend me of Facebook". It would be great if they could stay connected on that personal level in the forum community instead of having to go to other sites to do so.

Just my humble opinion...

Personally I don't see why everyone's 'Barneys Girlfriend'ing so much about it.

IPB will still be FORUMS. It's just that they add better functionality to track your friends content aswell as new content relevant to YOU.

IPB is not a social networking site per say but they are perfectly capable of adding social networking features without becoming a social networking site like Facebook.

The problem you guys also seem to be having is that you can't see why social networking sites like Facebook has become so popular. They encourage members to engage in conversation. If we can get that encouragement over to the forum-system we'll definitely be a hell of a lot better off.

And you can turn off all of these features if you don't like them. Don't buy blogs if you instead think Wordpress is better. Don't buy IP.Content if you think Joomla is better.

People like you guys are the ones who stop development. Deactivate your IP.Board license and go code your own instead.

I agree with your post. Very well put Tanax. +1 (Like) %7Boption%7D

Social networking features are a MUST!
FB and all of those social networking sites trying to gather the forum/discussion crowd from us. You can create your own discussions, fan pages, groups etc.. Even FB get info from Wikipedia and display them to start discussions. I know there are some crap ppl in social networks but remember there are lot of invite only or professional groups/discussions/fan pages there.
So add social networking features or get wiped out. We have a very large vbulletin discussion forum so i'm talking from experience.

People need to communicate and feel each other in the site. You can't ask ppl to go to facebook or google+ and chat with your friends and then comeback to our site to talk about X topic.

If all those social networks ONLY give profiles, picture sharing blah blah private stuff only then its kinda okay to leave them like that.
But all those networks after content now, after communities, discussions, music, media, news, science A-Z everything.
They even allow people to copy your content and upload to the social network. When we go after them and remove it by asking and waiting many days. It;s all over and people have no need to visit your site just to look at that already seen content.
They have the crowd and they trying to stick them there with all that possible. And talking about advertising FB allows to specify the crowd depending on their age, interest, education level etc.. They even allow you to advertise on special topic fan pages, groups etc.. And you can bid there too. If social networks grow higher there will be less advertising chance for single sites.

From my experience there are lot of people who don't know how to use a forum or even start a thread. We should make this more user friendly like a social network.
I hate when vbulletin or IPB shows the same you don't have permission to post in here message to all the errors.
You should tell the exact error. Tell them you need to register and show reg form, or admin not allowing you to post in this section, you have to be senior member to access this etcc. just be more user friendly and informative.
Check this with their custom mods, how easy a new guy can understand the whole thing.
http://www.daniweb.com/ Just one small example.

I really like how IPB allows fb/twitter updates sync and connect with those networks in many different ways.
We should be able to make visitors easily suggest out forum content to their FB/Google+ friend lists. Select people and share.
Talk with FB/Google+ friends within your site loading those chats in here. If needed. etc.. like features.
I don't hate social networks but we should make use of them to promote our forums and content. If not surely you will get wiped out very soon.

I am not sure why these ppl hate like buttons and stuff this much. Remember we guys are IT pros or geeks. But we are making sites to normal general public. You may hate social networking features or just wanna be with IRC like old days.
But that's not 99% of others in the world expecting from your forum.

Not sure if anyone posted this.. I just took a "quick" glance through all these posts... But heres something to keep in mind..

1. Invision Power Services (IPS) was created by Matt Mecham and Charles Warner in February 2002

2. Myspace Launched August 2003

3. Facebook is a Social Networking Service and website launched February 4, 2004

4. Fubar Launched June-Sept 2005

See the difference there? IPS has been out 2 years longer than Facebook has...

IPS (as others have stated) is a Messageboard/Community software

Facebook is a "Social Network" (social is based inside a community. If you have a community with no social activity , then you pretty much have a boring site) With no community, there's nothing social about it. (facebook has forums too)

So who's copying who in all this?

Now if ANY place should be the top notch in all this for "Social" Community should be Invision Power Services!!!

I have thought about this before starting my new project. Face book is ok and thats that... My dream is if all the forums could somehow link.. and use the collective power of the group we could be more powerful than facebook or favor of the day,

Not sure even how that would work.. Similar Boards cross post? share members, share search ? or just a directory of IPB based on content..

But with all of us struggling to get hits most would not want to share traffic...

Archived