Suggestion! in the features

Troy Spiral

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I understand the OP correctly;
If people want blogs, they'll go to Blogger or Blogspot,
If they want Flickr, they'll go to Flickr,
and if they want social networking, they'll go to Twitter or Facebook.

My opinion;
Forum software hasn't changed in a decade, for all intents and purposes. No one has done anything other than try to cash in on whatever else seems to be popular. Maybe a little innovating on what it is forums do and a little less imitating of what works for others. ;)

My opinion;

Forum software hasn't changed in a decade, for all intents and purposes. No one has done anything other than try to cash in on whatever else seems to be popular. Maybe a little innovating on what it is forums do and a little less imitating of what works for others. ;)

Yup. If I wanted Facebook I'd just start a group on Facebook.

But what about all the people who love facebook and say 'why can't your site by like facebook, I find that site so easy to use'.

There has to be a balance.

Some forums are very professional and others cater for the casual audience. The trick is to cater for differing groups.

If you want social networking use it, if not leave it off.

• Management

It's pretty funny actually how people get so worked up. If you actually pause and look at 3.2 compared to 3.1 you will see that, while there are new features, most of what you see in 3.2 is the same stuff in 3.1 just presented better.

I assume what people are all :frantics: about when comparing to Facebook is the "Like This" button on posts? Well that is just the same old reputation feature as in 3.1 in a "like" mode where instead of the +/- buttons you get a button that says "Like This" which is hardly worthy of dire predictions in my opinion. Also, as it's what the masses expect, it will be used way more than the +/- reputation. It already has on this forum by the very people moaning about all the "oh it's like Facebook" features:

Yes, we have added some "social network" sort of features because our clients asked us to it's what the general public expect. However, we are not forcing anything on anyone. If, for some reason, you loathe the idea of people being able to like things, share content, comment on each others profiles, etc. on your community you can certainly shut those features off in the AdminCP.

I honestly see very little comparison to Facebook, but I do see the absolute importance of linking some of their function to the likes of IPB, such as login's and 'like', otherwise you'd be mad to miss out on the advertisement and global coverage it provides.

Differentiating Forums from "blogs/diaries" needs to stay on point, otherwise, I'm afraid IPB will just become irrelevant. Facebook will win that battle.

FB itself is copying others they have done it in the past and they will continue to do so. and besides forums are already differentiated because they are content-based not gossip/paedophile/troll based like FB.

FB itself is copying others they have done it in the past and they will continue to do so. and besides forums are already differentiated because they are content-based not gossip/paedophile/troll based like FB.

Exactly! I don't see what's the big fuss over this. People keep comparing new features and what not to Facebook and/or Twitter as if those two were the Genesis of everything on the internet. As Enkidu mentions, "FB itself is copying others they have done it in the past and they will continue to do so". Why haven't people gone to Facebook and Twitter and complained to them everything that they've copied from other Social Networks who've been around much, much earlier than them? All these complaints and comparing IPB to Facebook and/or Twitter is getting pretty old IMO. I'm just happy that IPB is moving forward and making their product better. If they have not done so, I guarantee you that many of those who keep comparing and complaining would be comparing and complaining that why isn't IPB more like Facebook and Twitter.

Facebook is simple (more or less) for use by ALL of the populace and thankfully, IPS has made this board simpler. It's not Facebook, also thankfully, but now I won't be on a daily tutoring thing with new users about how to use all the bells and whistles. Some of us administer boards that are not geek themed. We actually have grandmas posting. :ohmy:

I don't think IPB should have Facebook and Twitter integrated into the software by default. Just because those two are the new hot fad doesn't mean IPB should cater solely to them just because they're the most popular. I feel IPB should be a neutral party and keep the integration of them as a mod. I understand its a requested feature but so are other things that never make it into the final versions. At the end of the day though I don't really care so long as you can shut it all off if you don't want it.

I don't think IPB should have Facebook and Twitter integrated into the software by default. Just because those two are the new hot fad doesn't mean IPB should cater solely to them just because they're the most popular. I feel IPB should be a neutral party and keep the integration of them as a mod. I understand its a requested feature but so are other things that never make it into the final versions. At the end of the day though I don't really care so long as you can shut it all off if you don't want it.

But they are not integrated by default - you have to turn them on.

Not sure what all the moaning is about - it has barely changed from 3.1.4 - if you do not want people joining your site with a click of the mouse then fine - if you do not want to feed your topics to twitter and Facebook and increase traffic then fine. No body is forcing anyone to do anything they do not want to.

IPB isn't becoming facebook, lol. They're integrating and letting us share things TO facebook, not becomming facebook.
And what is that crap about "changing software" if IPB gives us more sharability-options? All major forum softwares are using facebook integration, it would be madness not to do so. So good luck with that.. guess you're talking about hiring an own coder to make you a custom forum software.

I think most people here whine because they just want something to whine about.

Oh and also, I think people here kind of forgets that IPB isn't JUST a forum, it's a community platform to make communities. Communities needs more than just forums, they need blogs, etc. Why is it bad to have all this in a central platform that is easy to manage and will make it easier to search content on the same site instead of having 1 blog-site, 1 forum-site, 1 article-site and have to manually search all of them.. is that what you want? :P

Like This

You can use the 'Like This' button for that :ike:

It's pretty funny actually how people get so worked up. If you actually pause and look at 3.2 compared to 3.1 you will see that, while there are new features, most of what you see in 3.2 is the same stuff in 3.1 just presented better.

I assume what people are all :frantics: about when comparing to Facebook is the "Like This" button on posts? Well that is just the same old reputation feature as in 3.1 in a "like" mode where instead of the +/- buttons you get a button that says "Like This" which is hardly worthy of dire predictions in my opinion. Also, as it's what the masses expect, it will be used way more than the +/- reputation. It already has on this forum by the very people moaning about all the "oh it's like Facebook" features:

[img]

[/img]

Yes, we have added some "social network" sort of features because our clients asked us to it's what the general public expect. However, we are not forcing anything on anyone. If, for some reason, you loathe the idea of people being able to like things, share content, comment on each others profiles, etc. on your community you can certainly shut those features off in the AdminCP.

Facebook is simple (more or less) for use by ALL of the populace and thankfully, IPS has made this board simpler. It's not Facebook, also thankfully, but now I won't be on a daily tutoring thing with new users about how to use all the bells and whistles. Some of us administer boards that are not geek themed. We actually have grandmas posting. :ohmy:

Oh and also, I think people here kind of forgets that IPB isn't JUST a forum, it's a community platform to make communities. Communities needs more than just forums, they need blogs, etc. Why is it bad to have all this in a central platform that is easy to manage and will make it easier to search content on the same site instead of having 1 blog-site, 1 forum-site, 1 article-site and have to manually search all of them.. is that what you want? :tongue:

Yes, I agree of most of this.
IPB is not only forum, but community as well. Although I hate facebook (I jumped on FB later than everybody :smile:), but it's the place where everybody use in my country (My country, Indonesia is number 2 of facebook user in the world...23 million of FB member :drool: )...so the facilities to connect FB is very welcoming by 80% of my member :sorcerer:
Anda the point above that me as admin don't have to tell every member about the function of some button is a really time-saver :smile:

Go go go IPB !

Oh my god..I love the new IPB forum :drool:

• 3 weeks later...

[img]

[/img]

Well you targeted me for sarcasm but completely missed the point. I can't say i'm surprised. What I am referring to are actual usage paradigms and software features, not common uses of feature names "like" etc. Like is fine. I like it. What I don't like is that an enormous amount of time and resources are spent on very complicated notification systems and other bloated features while years go by without basic functionality like tags. And what I REALLY don't like is that the new gallery is created based on IPS staffs browsing preferences and experiences at sites like Facebook (yes this was publicly stated), completely removing backward compatibility for existing customers and forcing many new features on us that are absolutely not wanted.

I'd also like to point out that while you have labeled me as a complainer, targeted me for sarcasm, and responded to my requests with a friendly "shut it" via PM, that most of my issues have, over time, proven to be real issues that the community as a whole are starting to realize are real and legitimate issues. Just read back through my posts if you don't believe me. Here's a great example:

http://community.inv..._1#entry2076723

1. I try to get some information on an obvious inconsistency in the software.
2. Staff gives me a run around.
3. IPB fans tell me im a complainer
4. People realize that I was right in the beginning and wonder why nothing is being done about said issue
5. IPS staff never gives definitive answer. Likely conclusion is that this has never been fixed.
6. Conclusion: bug is never fixed, staff refuses to give an answer, i'm the jerk, issue still not resolved.

This has been the theme around here since I migrated from Vbulletin. And you wonder why I "complain"?

But what about all the people who love facebook and say 'why can't your site by like facebook, I find that site so easy to use'.

There has to be a balance.

Some forums are very professional and others cater for the casual audience. The trick is to cater for differing groups.

If you want social networking use it, if not leave it off.

My reply to those people are "The day I can make you smarter... is the day I will make this more like facebook"

My reply to those people are "The day I can make you smarter... is the day I will make this more like facebook"

That's clever, hot shot.
Honestly, why be such a jerk to your users? Hmm? If you don't like facebook, then say that but at least be respectful to your users man.

some people are not worth

That is your choice, not one that I nor many others would agree with. But if you do not wish to use YouTube, FB, Twitter, linkedin etc., that is up to you - doesn't stop others wishing to use them including your users.

I just want to say that facebook blows and they should be ashamed of their lack of respect for privacy and personal information. I hope facebook gets replaced by another company with morals. Facebook is to social networking what britney spears is to music.

Popularity =/= quality

Archived