Please, Make the Reputation System stand out!

altenerg

Did I miss how to do the following?...

1) In members list how do members sort users by top reputation?

2) At the bottom of the forum index there is top 20 posters. But where is top reputation members?

3) In topic view, you can view posts count under member avatars but there is no option to add or replace it with reputation levels. Correct?

This is a great feature but it does not seem to be integrated well enough to prove useful or stand out. It simply follows the poor way vB missed-the-bus (not sure who had it first or maybe they copied this poor execution) in implementing it rather than seeking to be atypical and creative in its use.

Implemented right, the reputation system could be used in a way to motivate users to be useful/more valuable posters and help reduce the focus on simply post count... getting them addicted to reaching higher levels of reputation, since its not something like post count that anyone can achieve.

Did I miss how to do the following?...

1) In members list how do members sort users by top reputation?

2) At the bottom of the forum index there is top 20 posters. But where is top reputation members?

3) In topic view, you can view posts count under member avatars but there is no option to add or replace it with reputation levels. Correct?

This is a great feature but it does not seem to be integrated well enough to prove useful or stand out. It simply follows the poor way vB missed-the-bus (not sure who had it first or maybe they copied this poor execution) in implementing it rather than seeking to be atypical and creative in its use.

Implemented right, the reputation system could be used in a way to motivate users to be useful/more valuable posters and help reduce the focus on simply post count... getting them addicted to reaching higher levels of reputation, since its not something like post count that anyone can achieve.

+1. Reputation is much more valuable than the number of posts a user has made and so it should be that you are able to filter content/members by it. Anyone can post 10000 posts in no time, few people can post even 10 useful posts.

Agreed. I've added some plugins and made some manual edits to accomplish some of this. But note the min something goes wrong the first response from IPS is are you running plugins? Disable all, etc. So really I would like to have all this supported without having to use any plugins.

• 5 months later...

The reputation system can be easily abused and as a result shouldn't be relied significantly on as a general indicator of a user's post reception, IMO.

Only if the needed functions are absent. Reputation can indeed easily be abused in the absence of the following functions: I have all the the above on my big board and barely have any abuse on my site. It drives my site, my content quality, participation, promotions, comunity moderation, etc. I would not want to do without it.
  1. [*]reputation moderation [*]report reputation [*]infract from reputation report [*]reputation coments [*]show reputation comments under posts [*]retract reputation within x minutes [*]detect reputation trade

• 2 weeks later...

I love the sound of what you've done with the rep system. Can you share the details of how to implement? I'm running the latest ipb version.

I had these functions coded by a paid developer for other forum software. I am now investigating the possibilities to migrate to IPS. When I migrate, I will have all my addons rewritten for the IPS platform.
I need IPS to add reputation comments first, as this is a very basic feature, which when added to the core, its tightly interwoven with functionality throughout the suite.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Out of your suggestions, the only one I can find myself getting behind is the first one. I would love to be able to see the top rep earners in the member list/search. Seems like that should already be there.

Glad you agree with 1 of 3.

As for...
2) A few days after starting this thread someone thankfully created this:
http://community.inv...utation-points/ :tongue:

3) As for rep being next to post count, mine looks like this:
post-179211-0-71978400-1341451291.png

I've had it like this since December last year after posting this and not only has it helped to increase the usage of reputation system but the overall quality of posts have GREATLY increased! Members seem to realize that posting is about quality and not quantity.

Out of your suggestions, the only one I can find myself getting behind is the first one. I would love to be able to see the top rep earners in the member list/search. Seems like that should already be there.

There is a free hook that does this.

Archived