HeadStand

Newsletters

558 posts in this topic

The images were coded by myself - I just took code from what I had in IPContent and it worked quite well, apart from the resizing which took a little messing around with but got it in the end - sure I had some help from the forum too but can't actually remember what credit goes to who, and for what :)

Nice, that's what I want to do, add images. I'll pick apart the code and see if I can make it work :)

OK.. it appears that I have two possible templates in my ACP to use. One is the default one, one is blank. The blank one causes the emails to come through with the content. The other causes just the header and footer.

Any way to fix this?

I just tested the default template on the latest version of IPB and the newsletter came through perfectly. Is there any chance this file could have been modified on your side?

Also, how do you change the logo in the email from the default IPB logo?

That's what the templates are for. ;)

There is documentation distributed with the mod (you should find it directly in the downloaded zip file, in word and PDF format). At the end of the file you can find instructions on how to create your own template or modify existing ones.

I noticed today that gmail seems to strip out the header bars - see example where my logo (which usually sits against a blue bar) is virtually invisible:

A new version has been uploaded to the Marketplace. Changes include:

• Intervals did not use language strings. Fixed - language strings have been added to admin_newsletter.
  • Language strings were not loaded in the Notification Options. Fixed.
  • Event URLs were not properly formatted. Fixed.

I noticed today that gmail seems to strip out the header bars - see example where my logo (which usually sits against a blue bar) is virtually invisible:

I can't do anything about the way gmail handles images or any other formatting. Outlook also does funky things sometimes, depending on your settings.... for example, mine removes all images unless I specifically download them.

Best I can tell you is to play with the CSS inside your template until you find a configuration that works with gmail.

Cool - I think i will try to work with a really simple template that is happy across multiple email programs. Now where did I put that CSS book?

ps - that upgrade fixed the events issue - thanks

Just a quick question - if a newsletter is scheduled to send but there is no new content - does it send anyway?

Another question - one of my newsletters takes content from IP.Content articles. It does not display any of the formatting though (e.g., hyperlinks, underlining, bolding). Can it be set up to include this formatting?

I'm finding that this software will still include database entries for articles that are unpublished. Is there a way to stop that?

Another question - one of my newsletters takes content from IP.Content articles. It does not display any of the formatting though (e.g., hyperlinks, underlining, bolding). Can it be set up to include this formatting?

I would like this too.

I'm finding that this software will still include database entries for articles that are unpublished. Is there a way to stop that?

I'm already working on the next release. I'll make sure to correct the above two items and include them.

I'm already working on the next release. I'll make sure to correct the above two items and include them.

fantastic - thank you. Any chance of having an option with the date format. mm/dd is unusual in Australia. So much so that a recent newsletter recipient noted that the upcoming events were in "American" format.

Thanks developer for being responsive to requests and updates.

Why does it show a random member as being suspected of having posted the newsletter. Did I do something wrong here? Was because I didn't select an author inthe beggining or?

Why does it show a random member as being suspected of having posted the newsletter. Did I do something wrong here? Was because I didn't select an author inthe beggining or?

Hi Ben - I always put myself (administrator) as the author of the newsletter.

I must assume a certain member replied and being sarcastic, but replied that he had received more than 20 emails in ref to the newsletter.

Where can I check if it's still sending the newsletter or if in fact it has completed the send process to all members or to see it's current status?

This is a bug and I'll have it corrected in the next release. What's happening is that since the distribution is triggered as an IPB task, whichever member happened to trigger it is being used as the author. As I said, will be fixed.

I must assume a certain member replied and being sarcastic, but replied that he had received more than 20 emails in ref to the newsletter.

Where can I check if it's still sending the newsletter or if in fact it has completed the send process to all members or to see it's current status?

In the ACP, each newsletter has a menu option called "Back Issues". That should show how many emails have been sent and how many are still pending.

Thank you Headstand!

Quick question for you... so that I get this right, the current newsletter, I can modify the same newsletter so that when it gets published on the next date without having to create another newsletter right?

Ben

!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just got this message from a member !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am getting a newletter sent to my email every 30-40 minutes. I have logged in and unsubscribbed, but they continue to come. How can I stop this?

I went into back issues and clicked stop issue, will this stop it? This newsletter was sent days ago.

08/21/2012 0 0 22683 20550 %7Boption%7D

Thank you Headstand!

Quick question for you... so that I get this right, the current newsletter, I can modify the same newsletter so that when it gets published on the next date without having to create another newsletter right?

Ben

That's correct.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just got this message from a member !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am getting a newletter sent to my email every 30-40 minutes. I have logged in and unsubscribbed, but they continue to come. How can I stop this?

I went into back issues and clicked stop issue, will this stop it? This newsletter was sent days ago.

OK... this bug was fixed a while back, can't imagine how it resurfaced, but I'll double-check the code.

In either case, here is what you need to do:
1. Manually kill the distribution. On that same screen where you saw the number of issues sent out, you should have an option to "Close Issue". Choosing that option will immediately stop all further distributions for this newsletter.
2. Please check the html_members and plain_members fields in the ibf_newsletters_issues table. What is the data type of this field? You can see this in the ACP by going to Support -> SQL Toolbox and then clicking on the ibf_newsletters_issues table (make sure you click on the table name). The data type for these two fields should be MEDIUMTEXT. If you see a different data type, let me know and I will provide you with the appropriate SQL to run.

hmmm... When the email sends out it includes links that are broken. They look like this:

http://mydomain.com/index.phptopic/182129-this-is-sparta/

Specifically, note this part of the url:
index.phptopic

Thoughts?

Yep, I'm seeing the same now too - I'm still also getting people telling me they are receiving blank emails but if they attempt to "forward" the mail they see the content.
I'm no longer using the newsletter mod anymore because it's too easily broken and even attempting to insert simple HTML into the newsletter renders different results for different people so I'm going back to the standard format of bulk mail from the ACP I'm afraid - normally I send out a poll for users each Tuesday which used to attract around 50 responses, since using the newsletter I'm seeing no more than 10 ... it may not necessarily be an issue with the newsletter, but when people get a blank email, they will delete it rather than mess with it to see the content. Good mod, but needs a lot of fine tuning me thinks :)

surinp3 likes this