HeadStand

Newsletters

558 posts in this topic

Newsletters

Allows the Administrator to create, edit and manage custom newsletters and their content. Forms of content such as Latest Topics or Latest Blog Entries can automatically be distributed without the Administrator having to do more than set-up the newsletter and let it run.

Features

• Administrator can create custom titles and content for newsletters to be distributed
  • Administrator can set automatic intervals for newsletter distribution (Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Anually), or a manual customized distribution date.
  • Allows Administrator to set which groups of people will receive newsletter (Members, Administrators, Moderators, etc.)
  • Allows Administrator to create multiple pending issues of newsletter
  • Administrator has ability to view all back issues of newsletter
  • Allows for multiple content types based on the IPS components installed in the current environment
  • Newsletters can be distributed in plain-text or HTML format
  • Members can subscribe/unscribe to any available newsletters at any time
  • Members can decide which format (plain-text or HTML) they would like to receive
  • Administrators can customize the HTML layout and CSS for each Newsletter
  • Web view of all newsletter issues

Supported Content Types

• Birthdays
  • Events
  • Featured Blog Entries
  • Featured Downloads
  • Hot Album Images
  • Hot Blog Entries
  • Hot Database Records
  • Hot Downloads
  • Hot Topics
  • Latest Album Images
  • Latest Blog Entries
  • Latest Database Records
  • Latest Downloads
  • Latest Topics

najaru_1, Maxxius and dr. Jekyll like this

Looks like a conflict...

Fatal error: Call to undefined method sldTopicPrefixes_ModLibrary::statsRecount() in /home/xxxxx/public_html/admin/applications_addon/other/newsletter/sources/classes/class_distribution.php on line 261

Oddly the admin confirmation email uses the defined background image (for the email logo) -- but the newsletter background image does not get used.
Looking at the email source here is how they differ:

admin email (works)

) repeat-x; padding: 0px; }

td.logo {

background: #0f3854 url(		

newsletter email does not work)

td.logo {

background: #0f3854 url({style_images_url}/style_images/master/branding_bg2.png) repeat-x;

padding: 0px;

}

Me and my moderators were recently discussing how we could do something like this. Curious to see what a complete newsletter looks like.

Excellent idea. Just curious... has this been tested heavily prior to release?

To the best of my ability, yes. There is a 3.1.4 version that's been around for a couple of months. The majority of the code was not changed for the 3.2 upgrade.

The only issue I know of (with the 3.1.4 version) was related to HTML emails in Windows Mail, which I was unable to reproduce in any of my environments. In either case, I don't think that issue is applicable with this version, since the HTML emails are now fully reliant on IPB's core classes.

Looks like a conflict...

Fatal error: Call to undefined method sldTopicPrefixes_ModLibrary::statsRecount() in /home/xxxxx/public_html/admin/applications_addon/other/newsletter/sources/classes/class_distribution.php on line 261

Very strange. I'm looking into it, but no solution yet.

Oddly the admin confirmation email uses the defined background image (for the email logo) -- but the newsletter background image does not get used.

Thank you for reporting this. I've found the issue and I'm working on the fix. Expect an update within the next day or so.

How to add something like the Videos system to the list?

I can write plugins for 3rd-party modifications for a minimal fee. If you're interested in having something developed, PM me and I'll be happy to discuss it.

An update has been posted to the Marketplace. Changes include:

• HTML emails did not properly include the logo. Fixed.
  • PHP error when posting a newsletter to a forum. Fixed.

If there are any further issues, please let me know.

How can I find the error logs? Also, I'm a looking to send a weekly digest of any activity in a forum (basically the same idea as subscribing to a forum but here I can choose groups to follow).

This does get emailed right?

How can I find the error logs?

They should be in your cache directory (something like sql_error_log_month_day_year.cgi). If you don't find them there, check in the ACP under
Stats & Logs -> Logs -> SQL Error Logs

What you'll need to do is reproduce the error first. So try publishing, then immediately check the logs.

Also, I'm a looking to send a weekly digest of any activity in a forum (basically the same idea as subscribing to a forum but here I can choose groups to follow).

This does get emailed right?

Yes.

Here is the error:

Latest SQL Error Today (Today, 04:57 PM)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 21:57:47 +0000 Error: 1054 - Unknown column 'description' in 'field list' IP Address: 24.61.130.94 - /foxtrot/admin/index.php?adsess=98ce014e2138e82b6aaeb61c07711a62&app=newsletter&module=newsletter&section=newsletters&do=publish&id=1 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- mySQL query error: INSERT INTO topics (`title`,`title_seo`,`description`,`state`,`posts`,`starter_id`,`starter_name`,`start_date`,`last_poster_id`,`last_poster_name`,`last_post`,`icon_id`,`author_mode`,`poll_state`,`last_vote`,`views`,`forum_id`,`approved`,`pinned`,`seo_last_name`,`seo_first_name`) VALUES('2012 Weekly Update 11/16/2011','2012-weekly-update-11162011','','open',0,1,'Joshua K',1321480667,1,'Joshua K',1321480667,0,1,0,0,0,4,1,0,'joshua-k','joshua-k') .--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------. | File | Function | Line No. | |----------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------| | admin/applications_addon/other/newsletter/sources/classes/class_distribution.php| [db_main_mysql].insert | 244 | '----------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------' | admin/applications_addon/other/newsletter/sources/classes/class_distribution.php| [class_distribution]._postIssueToForum | 68 | '----------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------' | admin/applications_addon/other/newsletter/modules_admin/newsletter/newsletters.php| [class_distribution].publishNewsletter | 367 | '----------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------' | admin/applications_addon/other/newsletter/modules_admin/newsletter/newsletters.php| [admin_newsletter_newsletter_newsletters]._publish | 55 | '----------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------' | admin/sources/base/ipsController.php | [admin_newsletter_newsletter_newsletters].doExecute | 302 | '----------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------'

Here is the error:

Fixed. I've uploaded a new version - no new version number, no actual upgrade. Just upload all the files and you should be fine.

Could you please not put a dash in the file name that and spaces make playing with the files difficult on linux CLI which is how I install stuff on my site.

Thanks,
Larry

Didn't work

New version uploaded... same deal as last time (just upload files, no upgrade required).

Could you please not put a dash in the file name that and spaces make playing with the files difficult on linux CLI which is how I install stuff on my site.

Thanks,

Larry

Which filename are you talking about? The actual download?

Hi,

Just purchased and installed, when I try to go to my forum index, I get the following error:

Fatal error: Call to a member function sidebarBlock() on a non-object in /home/ukreside/public_html/forums/hooks/newsletterSidebar_21351b572c807d4235ca1ae94430a82c.php on line 46

Please let me know why this is happening and how I can fix it.

thanks

Hi,

Just purchased and installed, when I try to go to my forum index, I get the following error:

Fatal error: Call to a member function sidebarBlock() on a non-object in /home/ukreside/public_html/forums/hooks/newsletterSidebar_21351b572c807d4235ca1ae94430a82c.php on line 46

Please let me know why this is happening and how I can fix it.

thanks

Can you please check your skin_newsletter group (under ACP -> Look & Feel -> Skin -> skin_newsletter)? See if it has a template bit called sidebarBlock.