More synergy between the ACP and the board itself

Michel_72

I have converted from UBB.threads to IP.board and even though my members are having a hard time adjusting, I am quit happy I made the conversion.

There are however a few things that where (much) better in UBB.threads.

What is mis the most is the synergy between the ACP and the forums/board.

For example.

If I want to know more about a 'naughty member' and I click on a members name on the forums, I have no administrative features.
I first have to login to the ACP, look the member up again and then I have administrative power over this member.

Why so complicated? Why would you not just add a button 'manage this member' if logged in as a admin that takes you right to the ACP -> ...&app=members&&module=members&section=members&do=viewmember&member_id=00001

The same way around: I'm logged in to the ACP and want to view a members posts. I have to return to the board -> member list, look him up and then click on: /index.php?app=core&module=search&do=user_activity&mid=000001
Why not a few extra functions in the member section of the ACP, like 'PM member', 'View content' etc.

There is just too much clicks and logins and menus and clicks necessary to get stuff done.

The administrator is the idiot that spends half his life on the community. Why not make his miserable life a little easier? :wink:

Cheers,

Michel

• 1 month later...

No, for the changes I am talking about there is no security issues.

I have been moderating our forums quit intensively for the past few weeks and it is simply way more unpractical and way more work than it used to be using UBB.Threads.

I love all the new features, but IPB is quit simply put an administrative nightmare.

The mod you mentioned it not improving that.

Cheers,

Michel

For example:

From the admin CP:
- Look for a member and find his posts. No option for that.
- Send A PM to the member from the admin CP, not option for that
- View warnings. No option for that

For all of the above I have to:
- go back to the forums
- view the member list
- Go to filters
- search for the [membername]
- Send him or her a PM/views warnings/find posts

All of the above are essential for admins. Adding those options should not impose any security risk.

From the forums:

If I need to view all the members IP addresses, I have to:
- re-login to the ACP
- go to members
- go to manage members
- fill in the [membername]
- click the member
- go to actions
- show all IP adresses

Way to many clicks. Managing IPB is just way less comfortable for admins as managing UBB.Threads was.

Again, if you make a direct link to the members info in the ACP, whilst forcing an ACP login, there should be no security risk.
So like this: http://www.community.com/forums/admin/index.php?adsess=dcfa3c0de2cd3a4c4ea6c38a2ee8bfb5&app=members&section=tools&module=members&do=show_all_ips&member_id=1

I am now for a fact spending way more time managing our forums then I was ever before using UBB.threads.
Our site has used UBB.threads for over 10 years. Never did those (more comfortable options) impose any serious security risk.

I like IPB, and we are likely to keep using it, but the synergy between control panel en forums was way better in UBB.Threads.

I just hope Invision it going to do something about that.

Cheers,

Michel

My comments are in blue:

For example:

From the admin CP:

- Look for a member and find his posts. No option for that. You can very easily click the username in the Admin CP to direct to their Public Profile. Adding an ACP method seems like unnecessary software bloat.

- Send A PM to the member from the admin CP, not option for that. See the above comment.

- View warnings. No option for that See the above comment.

For all of the above I have to:

- go back to the forums

- view the member list

- Go to filters

- search for the [membername]

- Send him or her a PM/views warnings/find posts

No, these steps are not necessary. See the above comment.

All of the above are essential for admins. Adding those options should not impose any security risk.

From the forums:

If I need to view all the members IP addresses, I have to:

- re-login to the ACP

- go to members

- go to manage members

- fill in the [membername]

- click the member

- go to actions

- show all IP adresses

IP addresses are sensitive details, and I think the extra ACP security is warranted to display a mass list of all of the members' IP addresses.

Way to many clicks. Managing IPB is just way less comfortable for admins as managing UBB.Threads was.

Again, if you make a direct link to the members info in the ACP, whilst forcing an ACP login, there should be no security risk. This feature is already available. See the first comment above.

I am now for a fact spending way more time managing our forums then I was ever before using UBB.threads.

Our site has used UBB.threads for over 10 years. Never did those (more comfortable options) impose any serious security risk.

I like IPB, and we are likely to keep using it, but the synergy between control panel en forums was way better in UBB.Threads.

I just hope Invision it going to do something about that.

Cheers,

Michel

I hope that's not your definition of synergy and user-friendliness....

I think you don't get the point. Maybe you should try UBB.threads for a while and see how much time you save.

Cheers,

Michel

Well, the features you suggested, with the exception of mass-listing IP addresses from outside of the ACP, are already part of IPB. If you would like to specify additional suggestions, feel free to.

No they are not. Just a '_self' link to the profile doesn't cut it.

Those where just a few examples. Anyone who doesn't understand what my point is...well....just doesn't understand it ;)

So you're promoting bloating the software to save one or two clicks and reduce security? In that case, no, I don't think your point is generally understood.

• Management

Why my post was deleted ? Did I say something I shouldn't?

Yes. You posted inaccurate information. ACP and board security are NOT the same. The AdminCP uses extra levels of security such as IP checking and non-cookie based sessions.

Archived