Download: Extra Recaptcha Protection (details inside)

NenaDice

File Name: Extra Recaptcha Protection (details inside)

File Submitter: NenaDice

File Submitted: 06 Nov 2011

File Category: Hooks and Plugins

Lately almost all spammers who register are human that can bypass all the security restrictions in the registration page and then they turn over their accounts to the automated bots.

This hook will extend the recaptcha to all those users whose post count is below a certain number set by the admin, when they will try to post, create new threads and/or place signatures. It will help a lot in sorting out quickly the spammers from the legit users. The captcha will not show up in the quick reply form but when users will try to post there will get an error informing them that they must enter the captcha.

The post count by default it is set to 5 posts. But you can increase or descrease that number to your likings. You can enable and set the post count seperately for posts/threads and signatures. You can also exclude groups for the recaptcha restrictions.

Installation:

The hook.xml file can be installed through Manage Hooks in your Admin Panel and then to configure it go to System Settings. There you will see a new setting called NenaDice. Click on it and configure the hook to your needs.

Click here to download this file

This a great hook but i'm thinking if it will run members and make them stop posting because too much "Protection' make some members just give up and go some where else,but still it's a great addon i'll think more of this before i buy it plus i don't have any problems with spammers what so ever on my site.

This a great hook but i'm thinking if it will run members and make them stop posting because too much "Protection' make some members just give up and go some where else,but still it's a great addon i'll think more of this before i buy it plus i don't have any problems with spammers what so ever on my site.

I understand that it can be inconvenient, sometimes even a little irritating but this will come in handy to all those who have a spamming issue. I had coded something similiar for a client, running a different software and it cut down the spam almost overnight. You can set the post count low, say 2 posts. And after that it will not appear anymore. Plus id a new member is part of a special group, you can exclude that group from the restriction.

I saw someone request it here and I coded it for Ipb too.

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/350636-recaptcha-before-posting-ipb32/page__fromsearch__1

Can KeyCaptcha be used instead of ReCaptcha?

The letters in ReCaptcha can be difficult to make out, KeyCaptcha has been much more user-friendly on our site.

Currently it uses the system 's built in recaptcha. Personally I find it more efficient and much better than the keycaptcha Jay.

Currently it uses the system 's built in recaptcha. Personally I find it more efficient and much better than the keycaptcha Jay.

Thanks for the response. :)

I had members join up after I switched to KeyCaptcha that told me they tried to sign up before but couldn't do the ReCaptcha because the letters were too hard to make out.

That's a non-issue with KeyCaptcha, and KeyCaptcha also seems to have foiled the proxy users, as a lovely side effect.

Once the add-on is installed, it uses the same menus and fields as ReCaptcha, in case you're ever interested in expanding the functionality of this lovely little mod. :)
  • 4 months later...

This hook sounds like a good idea but I don't think it solves the problem. Spammers post spam and the hook forces you to enter a re-captcha code below a certain threshold. All the human has to do is a post a few messages and the spambot takes over. Not only that, but to new members who actually want to be a member of your forums, it's likely to be detrimental toward new members. I discovered that my community doesn't like the posting experience to be too prohibitive.

I think that this hook could use some teeth but I don't see this as being too effective in its current state. What would I like to see? Keep the idea of this hook but instead of recaptcha, force the hook to send an email to the new user and that new user has to click on the email link in order for the post to be validated, sort of like with those media sites that don't require an account but that require an email validation link for the post to be validated and approved.

• 9 months later...

I love this idea. Is there a way to inform uses that this feature will go away after they reach X-amount of posts...similar to the PM feature?

I wouldn't want users thinking that they have to enter this code every time that they post.

There is no such option built in the hook but you can set up an announcement for that to let users know about this restriction.

• 3 months later...

Feeling like i wasted my money:
- The captcha doesn't show in quick reply area (but when you click submit you get an error 'wrong captcha')

- When opening a topic/posting in advanced mode if you insert a wrong captcha, when you go back to insert it again it doesn't refresh so that you still see the previous one and you do wrong again.

Please sole this bugs or you're stealing my money

Feeling like i wasted my money:
- The captcha doesn't show in quick reply area (but when you click submit you get an error 'wrong captcha')

- When opening a topic/posting in advanced mode if you insert a wrong captcha, when you go back to insert it again it doesn't refresh so that you still see the previous one and you do wrong again.

Please sole this bugs or you're stealing my money

About captcha not showing up in the quick reply is mentioned in the mod description. So you know about that upfront. And please do not be dramatic because no one is stealing your money. When you buy something it is is your responsibility to make your homework, like reading through the description, look at the screenshots and/or ask pre sale questions.

I can not reproduce the issue you are describing with the advanced mode. What browser are using?

Archived