Download: (Pav32) Someone Mentions You

Pavulon87

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This hook looks for @name only when post is saving, so it does not matter how many post has the topic.
You could add @name few times for one member, but notification will be sent only once per post.
I think that the additional load/resource usage should not be noticeable.

Of course, if you add @name 30 times for different users in one post, it will take a little longer. That can not be avoided because the 30 notifications must be sent at once.

have downloaded this :) It has great possibilities :)

Q. how does it handle nicks with spaces?
- I have a test bot named - 'My Other Self' but the mod doesn't appear to send notifications to this bot. (I have enabled all notifications).

The bot can send notifications to me @RichardC without any problems but appears to fail on names with spaces

for a future version - ability for a ajax dropdown box to appear under the word you are typing to allow you to select a name from the list (like on facebook) would be a cool adddition to this mod, if codable.

regards
Rich

If you incorporate ajax search, then it would of course list all names starting @My but as for how it is now, I am not sure

The less extra characters the better, can the hook recognise @My Other Self@ as a single string?

any reason for adopting @ instead of the # tag for names?

definately suggest @name for the start of the string, as for ending it, not sure

I really like this, if you make a way to easily add people who have spaces I will purchase this as I think many people on my board would like this!

I personally like the @ being used. But if AJAX could be used to search, like how on facebook it was you use the @ to find the people and then it would enter their name without showing that symbol.

If it checks when the post is made, how hard will it hit resources if somebody posts @Nick1 @Nick2 @Nick3.... and so on until, say... @Nick100, then copies the post and pastes it in replies over and over?

in the settings for the hook you can set a maximum number of names per post which will limit the hit on resources.

If you incorporate ajax search, then it would of course list all names starting @My but as for how it is now, I am not sure

The less extra characters the better, can the hook recognise @My Other Self@ as a single string?

any reason for adopting @ instead of the # tag for names?

definately suggest @name for the start of the string, as for ending it, not sure

Why not #name# ? Pretty simple no? And people who use twitter will easily know how to use it.

I really like this, if you make a way to easily add people who have spaces I will purchase this as I think many people on my board would like this!

I personally like the @ being used. But if AJAX could be used to search, like how on facebook it was you use the @ to find the people and then it would enter their name without showing that symbol.

Will remain "@" at the beginning of the nick. But I still do not know how to recognize its ending.
I'll try to do dropdown list via ajax, but CKEditor is very problematic.

Where do the notification appears? Is it similar to Xenforo or facebook red mini-popup?

It's appears in where any other notification in the IP.Board.

If it checks when the post is made, how hard will it hit resources if somebody posts @Nick1 @Nick2 @Nick3.... and so on until, say... @Nick100, then copies the post and pastes it in replies over and over?

The same can be said for example about citations. I could add 100 quotes per post and 100 notifications will be sent.

yeah, this mod has great potential, I have already downloaded it :smile:

+ as said, hopefully the spaces in names can be resolved somehow @pavulon87@ #pavulon87#

also a note for users, whichever symbol is used need to be excluded from the allowable symbols/characters list when creating a user/nick name
ACP > manage settings > system settings > members > username restrictions
I would suggest just allowing a-zA-Z0-9 to avoid possible future problems

Richard.

PS: the '#' symbol is probably more intuitive to more people than the '@' symbol (it also does not need the 'shift' key to be pressed to select it and is not used as an email indicator like the '@' symbol is)

PS: the '#' symbol is probably more intuitive to more people than the '@' symbol (it also does not need the 'shift' key to be pressed to select it and is not used as an email indicator like the '@' symbol is)

+1, it would be have nice to have the choice at least :smile:

The same can be said for example about citations. I could add 100 quotes per post and 100 notifications will be sent.

That's a valid point, but it's not difficult to prevent this kind of abuse by limiting the number of characters in a post. Both the content and the text surrounding it adds up very quickly to extreme amounts of characters, especiallly when you're talking about triple digit quotes.

Names, on the other hand, are much more compact.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a nice mod. :) I just like to examine the way any mods I am considering may be abused before adding them to my community.

+ as said, hopefully the spaces in names can be resolved somehow @pavulon87@ #pavulon87#

There should be no problem with spaces in names anymore.

I thought that "@" is more intuitive and it is already used in Facebook/Twitter.

seem doesn't work for me for the moment

we only need this @Pavulon87 ??

Did you configured notification options in your user settings?

Archived