Remove the avatars from the IP.Chat!

changeindia

Was wondering that if you put the avatars at left of the chat for every user who posts it is just going to hog up the space.

So when their is a huge discussion going on its not very useful because it will hog up the place and does not look better when we want to read maximum number of replies without the scroll.

The current version is better without the avatars.

They are something like 30x30px...I can't see how they "hog up" the space. In fact, because we allowed a wider column to accommodate longer user names in the previous version, you actually have MORE horizontal space now for the actual chat messages (with the caveat that the username also appears in that column on a single row).

• 3 weeks later...

Found a way around it, can still overwrite the ips.chat.js file from the older version...you keep the new features, and still can use the old chat text field w/o the avatars.

Still looked exactly the same, just the avatar was missing. With some template edits I got mine looking like the old version.

Cyrem - Can you share how you did that?

This is my ipchat.css changes

.messages-list img.ipsUserPhoto {

display: none;

float: left;

font-weight: bold;

margin: 1px;

text-align: right;

}

.messages-list label {

font-size: 13px;

margin-bottom: 3px;

margin-left: 10px;

float:left;

text-align:right;

width:100px;

overflow:hidden;

padding-top:2px;

padding:bottom:2px;

padding-right:10px;

border-right:1px solid #333333;

}

.messages-list div {

margin-left:10px;

}

.messages-list div.hider {

font-size: 13px;

margin-bottom: 3px;

margin-left: 10px;

text-align:right;

width:100px;

overflow:hidden;

padding-right:10px;

padding-top:2px;

padding:bottom:2px;

border-right:1px solid #333333;

}

Pretty much copy paste. It's not EXACTLY like it was before but it's close enough for me.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Totally agree the avatars in chat should be optional

But, don't you think right now it's fair to say a majority of the people love the chat feature due to the avatars being present. Myself included. I know i like the avatars around. This sounds bad, but without seeing someones avatar. I wouldn't remember many of the members by name alone. I also know of a few similar sites that use the IP board, ones that are quite popular. But, have the chat blocked from the community. So i love the fact that it's available here. I see no room for improvements or adjustments. But, that's just my own opinion :P

But, don't you think right now it's fair to say a majority of the people love the chat feature due to the avatars being present. Myself included. I know i like the avatars around. This sounds bad, but without seeing someones avatar. I wouldn't remember many of the members by name alone. I also know of a few similar sites that use the IP board, ones that are quite popular. But, have the chat blocked from the community. So i love the fact that it's available here. I see no room for improvements or adjustments. But, that's just my own opinion :P

I also like the avatars.

There are already avatars in the chat in the list of "whos online" That is the only avatars you need... The avatars "also" being listed in the chat itself, its quite annoying and causes atleast 2 lines of chat.

Having the avatars already shown there once I think is just fine, why would you need to have them shown twice?

There should be an option to remove them from 'inside' the chat or a way for use to remove them ourselves in a n easy manner

• 1 month later...

Personally I like it. It's very clean since it seperates the username and avatar from the actual text AND combines multiple lines. It is the way a conversation goes.

It is a bit less handy for one word or one line spam. True.
It's much more useful in the case of multiline or multiword spam.

An option wouldn't hurt though. I just want to make clear that not everyone is unhappy with it.

And finally: My personal recommendation for idle and spam chat is still and will always be: I-R-C :)

Archived