#hashtags IPB

Ivan Gonzalez Jr

I still don't get why everything introduced on social networks has to be introduced on forums, a high percentage of my members use the forums to discuss the topic the forums are based on, argue from time to time and generally put the worlds to right.

#@ etc are all fine I just don' t think they are needed on the forums

Forget about the Facebook/twitter references, a means to input tags 'on the fly' in to a topic would be useful. It would probably need a filter of some description and definitely some limitations to stop someone #tagging every word.

There is already a system in the market place for using #tags in topics to draw a member's attention to a topic.
Maybe people should approach that author and see if there is interest in developing a #tag system?
He has already progressed his @mention hook to the point where the prefix is ACP settable, so if you are anti twitter you don't have to use # and likewise, facebook haters don't have to use @.

Rich.

• 1 year later...

A hashtag and a topic tags are essentially the same thing: a hotlinked tag that links to topics on the same subject. The only difference between a hashtag and a topic tag is that topic tags are not in posts, while hashtags are/would be. It would be useful to have such in-post tagging functionality.

Mainly so that people can follow a tag.

• 2 years later...

Some thoughts:

1. I personally think of hashtags, topic tags, and mentions as one and the same.  They're a shorthand way of affixing an identifier.  

2. I personally support tagging of individual posts or inline tagging.  The reason why is that -- as all forum users can attest to -- virtually all forum conversations will evolve, branch off, or be added to in myriad ways as the conversation goes on.  The conversation and topics dynamically change, but the original tags stay static.  As such, we may have an evolving conversation where the ongoing focus of the topic is different than those of the topic tags.  I think the ability to add new tags as the conversation unfolds is a powerful way of keeping true to the dynamism of ongoing forum conversations.  

In my own IP.Board, I often need to go back and manually adjust the topics' tags as administrator, as new information and critical keywords are added to the topics.  That is a laborious process, and obviously not one that's sustainable for me as the board grows.    

For example, in this post alone ... even though OP started his query with a simple request for hashtags, the conversation has weaved through divergent sub-topics:

• Social Networks
  • How to limit and filter excessive tagging
  • People mentions
  • Similarities between hashtags and topic tags 

By clearly identifying and distinguishing these subtopics by inline tags, each poster can thrust his subtopic into a larger community discourse.  Individual members unconsciously and separately create waves of similar subtopics, where each post on its own may be insignificant or gets lost in the silos of different topics, but in aggregate, speak to larger concerns.  Broader trends will percolate out.  Board admins can identify and seize upon community hotspots.  And indexing and searching can done much more accurately at a granular level.  

Most of all, the power of tagging (at least to me) is the ability to have community-wide discourse through thousands of smaller discussions.

I would love to have the possibility to use #hashtags in forum posts. It would probably be used more by my members and I than topic tags tbh.

I don't understand how people in this topic can be so quick to dismiss hashtags. The internet evolves, and so much forums to stay relevant. If people don't like the idea of hashtags then just don't activate the feature (just like with topic tags).

Archived