#hashtags IPB

Ivan Gonzalez Jr

To be fair, if we rejected every feature based on the fact that some idiot could use it stupidly/poorly, we'd still all be on usenet with our C64s.

I don't quite see the benefit (How would it integrate? What would it search? What, specifically, is the difference between how hashtags in IPB would function vs how tags currently function?), but I don't get why it would be a terrible idea.

(also, OP: complaining about the price of IPB before being an active customer?)

I guess it would be similar to tags - i.e. clicking on #ipb would show posts with #ipb in them.

i.e they would be some sort of search mechanism as they are in Twitter (and I assume Google, although not had a play with their implementation yet)

Wow, it's bad enough the kids on my site do this but to make it a function in IPB....umm...idk. It may work but I see no point in it. Why would people use it? You mention linking, which I'm assuming would bring you to a "search-like" page with all the threads that have these hashtags as tags on them. I see no real value in this and I honestly don't see how it would benefit the community.

yes

So you're saying if someone posts "#hashtag" that the parser routine should basically turn that into a link (automatically) to the search tags function for "hashtag"?

Yes that is how one would see it working.

Wow, it's bad enough the kids on my site do this but to make it a function in IPB....umm...idk. It may work but I see no point in it. Why would people use it? You mention linking, which I'm assuming would bring you to a "search-like" page with all the threads that have these hashtags as tags on them. I see no real value in this and I honestly don't see how it would benefit the community.

Like anything - i.e. tags, FB, twitter, openid - there is nothing to say you have to enable it.

Every site is different.

I cannot see why any parent would want their child to play a war game - but I guess you would disagree.

yes

Yes that is how one would see it working.

Like anything - i.e. tags, FB, twitter, openid - there is nothing to say you have to enable it.

Every site is different.

I cannot see why any parent would want their child to play a war game - but I guess you would disagree.

Again, this goes back to how it will function and how it can benefit a community. If it's only one community that can benefit from this, then leave it out and create a mod for it. If it's multiple, then it should be considered but I'm lost trying to find a valid reason to do this.

Again, this goes back to how it will function and how it can benefit a community. If it's only one community that can benefit from this, then leave it out and create a mod for it. If it's multiple, then it should be considered but I'm lost trying to find a valid reason to do this.

It's the latest "in" thing... that's all it boils down to.

Although it may be the "in thing" but I see no benefit. Unless I'm just not thinking of how it can be utilized...which no one has yet stated a good use for it.

It's fine for social sites and microblogs, but it is worthless for forums imho.

#IP.Board is not #Twitter. Reading #posts littered with #hashtags would drive #members #crazy. It reduces #readability.

On a related note, I could support adding tag functionality to posts, but not directly in the topic using a hashtag to achieve the functionality.

Perhaps something like an optional text input box for tags (like topic tagging) for groups enabled to use them? There would be merit in that.

• 1 month later...

If you mention something with a hashtag, i.e. #baseball, then IPB would just add baseball into the tags list. When clicked upon, it would search for that tag in the system that already exists. I basically see it extending the current tag system. Users wouldn't need to use the dedicated field to input the tags, but rather could do it within the post. Feels more natural.

It feels more natural....if you are a twitter user. For the rest of the world, hash tags are somewhat confusing.

I see people posting on Facebook all the time, using them for formatting now, because they see other people use them and don't know what they're for.

#AwesomeJob#LoveMyFriends#

These aren't tags...it's just formatting.

Archived