Bring back the 3.1 standard editor as an option

insectdude

Our STD mode editor was NOT a standalone editor separate from the RTE. All of the code for the old standard editor was in the same file as the RTE code, and it was all intermingled. There were some classes that separated some of the code, but it was not a case of "if standard, use this file, if rte use this file instead".

We cannot simply load back up the old editor and use it interchangeably where CKEditor would be used. It really is not that simple. Please just trust us on that.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair enough. I guess the question then becomes which is less effort, both now and ongoing: separating out the old standard editor such that it can be used interchangeably with CKEditor, or writing a new mode for CKEditor to replicate the old standard editor's functionality?

I'm just trying to help find a solution that doesn't involve huge amounts of development time at your end because, to be frank, I don't want to wait months to get this functionality back. Its absence irritates me almost every day when using my site, and several of my most active members have raised it with me too. It's hard to sell all the benefits of 3.2 to them when the feature they use most often, the editor, is crippled compared to what they are used to.

So, we hear you and we agree that buttons on the STD editor would be nice. It's more of a case of 'when' than 'if'.

Thank-you, this is what I wanted to hear. It's just too bad that it's a while off. But as Kenichi Tanaka said, I hope it's more of a v3.3 wait then something like IP4.

Yes, certainly I wouldn't want this to delay the release of 3.2.3 any further, there are some critical bug fixes in there which I really want to apply to my live board ASAP. As much as I want the BBCode functionality back in the editor, I'd rather have the other bug fixes first.

I will gladly help with testing the new functionality when you get to that stage (in time for 3.2.4?). I seem to have spent much of the last month submitting editor-related bug reports, so why stop now? :D

It's all good that they have fixed the issue with hackers and the javascript code in 3.2.3 but what about us at the moment who are on 3.2.2 as that is all that is released? I didn't realize this was a threat however my site gets attacked almost daily by people as they don't like our articles or want to take out the opposition, on numerous times my hosts have traced an attack on my sports site back to computers belonging to one of our high profile start-up competitors.

And so while IPS are happy to muck around releasing 3.2.3 they are putting all of our sites at risk?

If 3.2.3 is good enough to run here, why isn't it good enough to release and help us fix the issue and protect your customers rather than keeping it to yourself messing with things and just dragging their feet until Nexus is ready, or any of the other IPS Apps? Isn't it time you protected your customers first?

If 3.2.3 is good enough to run here, why isn't it good enough to release and help us fix the issue and protect your customers rather than keeping it to yourself messing with things and just dragging their feet until Nexus is ready, or any of the other IPS Apps? Isn't it time you protected your customers first?

They test it here before releasing it. Its a good way to find bugs since a lot of people use this forum. If anything, I think they would be putting sites at risk if they didn't test it on their own first.

When a new version is running here it normally means a new release is just around the corner. If you site is getting attacked daily, then you need to implement more security then just what IP provides as default.

We want the 3.2.3 release to be stable for our customers. Just this week we had a semi-major bug where member data caching caused the member list and messenger to break almost entirely. We don't release until we feel the software is stable, period.

And yes, we test things here first so we can catch major issues before releasing to the public. We also have regularly rebuilt betas available, if you are so inclined.

hello,

i wish you all the best with the new editor. for me it is the last crap and the point is come, to change the software.

i cant understand, that a proffessionell company use a third party addon! what i see, that you´re on the same way like ib and vb-->no quality and no control about your own features. think about it, that is the reality.

a lost customer says goodbye

no quality and no control about the your own features. think about it, that is the reality.

Damn...look, IPS can be pretty stubborn at times but that's quite the stretch you got there lol. The staff here at least have passion for their work (explains why they're so stubborn :x) so making comments like that is quite..well..wrong. lol

I remove some whitespace at the top of a list and what happens? Every single linebreak in a hundred item list is removed, creating one great big mass of text. I guess I should be grateful CTRL+Z hasn't been broken.

I'm beyond even creating tickets or bug reports for this kind of stuff.

I remove some whitespace at the top of a list and what happens? Every single linebreak in a hundred item list is removed, creating one great big mass of text. I guess I should be grateful CTRL+Z hasn't been broken.

I'm beyond even creating tickets or bug reports for this kind of stuff.

It's good practice, not just with the CKEditor, to keep a local "clipboard" copy of a large set of text if the destination is through a text input on the internet. Sometimes you accidentally return to the previous page, or the browser crashes completely out of the blue, and most likely all of the text is gone unless you've copied it.

• Management

hello,

i wish you all the best with the new editor. for me it is the last crap and the point is come, to change the software.

i cant understand, that a proffessionell company use a third party addon! what i see, that you´re on the same way like ib and vb-->no quality and no control about your own features. think about it, that is the reality.

a lost customer says goodbye

You should know that vB uses CKEditor also, and xenForo uses TinyMCE - all of which are third party add ons.

I cordially extend the very best wishes for you to find a commercial product of the same quality that doesn't use a single third party plugin or library. That rules out jQuery and Prototype too.

It's good practice, not just with the CKEditor, to keep a local "clipboard" copy of a large set of text if the destination is through a text input on the internet. Sometimes you accidentally return to the previous page, or the browser crashes completely out of the blue, and most likely all of the text is gone unless you've copied it.

I know. It's not me I'm worried about, it's normal people. At least I've got an idea what's going on, they must think they're going mad.

There should be an option to disable the RTE ability to usergroups... as a setting in the ACP. It was in 3.2.2 wasn't it?

There was a global "Allow members to use RTE" setting but it was a legacy / dead setting that should of not really been present in 3.2.x given there's only the CKE available.

What frustrates you? I'd like to know. If we're going to improve the editor, then the more information you provide, the better.

The fact that when I click the little switch to go to standard mode instead of RTE, it disables all of the BBCode buttons... we won't be updating to 3.2.X until that's fixed.

The fact that when I click the little switch to go to standard mode instead of RTE, it disables all of the BBCode buttons... we won't be updating to 3.2.X until that's fixed.

As explained by IP, that is not a bug. The RTE editor doesn't come with this, it simply comes with a raw text switch. In order to get this back in they have to code their own functionality into the 3rd party editor. They will do this after bug fixes have been done.

As explained by IP, that is not a bug. The RTE editor doesn't come with this, it simply comes with a raw text switch. In order to get this back in they have to code their own functionality into the 3rd party editor. They will do this after bug fixes have been done.

I know, I was responding to the "what frustrates me?" question. Doesn't have to be a bug to frustrate me.

What frustrates you? I'd like to know. If we're going to improve the editor, then the more information you provide, the better.

Ability to "toggle" that god for saking light switch in the backend and not just the frontend. Right now I'm tired of instructing users on how to do it. It should be standard and as a board owner you should have the option to disable it as default.

Ability to "toggle" that god for saking light switch in the backend and not just the frontend. Right now I'm tired of instructing users on how to do it. It should be standard and as a board owner you should have the option to disable it as default.

Backend one is fixed in 3.2.3.

Archived